House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

74 Miles For 16.5K Too Far?

This is annoying now, just as I was prepped to go out to Asia (bags packed but ticket not booked) I get another job offer in addition to the one I turned down (which was 14K and a 91 mile round trip commute)

Is 74 miles round trip too little for 16.5K? Remember I'll be onboard a bike, and going over the M62 which is cold in summertime let alone winter time.

I dunno, apparently some public servants get 20k for 3 days work a year. So, if it's that order of magnitude then yes. If not, probably not.

I would not be surprised if the M62 is a bit dangerous for bikes in the winter.

This is annoying now, just as I was prepped to go out to Asia (bags packed but ticket not booked) I get another job offer in addition to the one I turned down (which was 14K and a 91 mile round trip commute)

Is 74 miles round trip too little for 16.5K? Remember I'll be onboard a bike, and going over the M62 which is cold in summertime let alone winter time.

I personally wouldn't do it...I found that riding a bike can be crazy in the winter, even on gritted roads...What would it cost you in fuel per day?

That seems mental. How many hours would that add to the working day? Heading into Autumn and Winter too.

For five days a week? Rather you than me. I'd contemplate it only if I could commute by train, and then only reluctantly.

OTOH if it's flexible and lets you do at least half the work from home, I wouldn't rule it out for one or two days a week. YMMV.

Time cost i'd guess is less than an hour each way so it depends how much it costs to run your bike per mile.

If we assume 240 woking days per year then that's just under 18,000 miles per year. HMRC approved mileage rate for motorbikes is 24p/mile so if that's anywhere near actual running cost then you'd be looking at ITRO £4,500 cost of travel out of £13,500 net pay.

Too high to be sustainable long term, maybe ok short term depending on circumstances.

not worth it

74 miles is nothing, hardly a commute on a bike.

I did 72 miles a day (really 71.2 ) for a year between Town - A road - Motorway - Central London - Security Gate

and got it down to 35 minutes helmet on/off 62mph average speed.

Stop being a wuss and take the job.

Getting a train takes at least an hour bedroom to office, but a bike can make it in half that time.

74 miles is nothing, hardly a commute on a bike.

I did 72 miles a day (really 71.2 ) for a year between Town - A road - Motorway - Central London - Security Gate

and got it down to 35 minutes helmet on/off 62mph average speed.

Stop being a wuss and take the job.

Getting a train takes at least an hour bedroom to office, but a bike can make it in half that time.

There is being tough and there is being stupid....

I've done huge commutes in the past, Falmouth -> Plymouth everyday in winter in a summer jacket in winter 72 miles the bike never went under 85mph... It was tiring but didn't want to be seen as a wuss.

2006 SW freeze up I was the only man to ride the A38 frozen over.

2008 I was the only rider to go out on the night of ice when the whole place froze up

I'm plenty tough, its just that stupidity for not being seen as a wuss isn't really worth it.

As the CBR sucks an enormous amount of fuel, economically it is a knife edge to take the job or not, add in the major discomfort alternatives start to look better (and by that I mean a different job elsewhere which goes in a different direction).

You could move nearer your job! :blink:

I dunno, I think I'd do it for 16K a day or so. Sounds sweet. You could afford to rent nearer work or get a serviced apartment on that kind of gig.

I wouldn't do it forever, but I think as long as you are working, even a job that you wouldn't normally do, you are percieved as a grafter, so you might be able to get a better job closer to home on the back of it.

I think if you are off work for a long period of time some employers won't take you on. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

As the CBR sucks an enormous amount of fuel, economically it is a knife edge to take the job or not, add in the major discomfort alternatives start to look better (and by that I mean a different job elsewhere which goes in a different direction).

I think I agree with the general gist which is - don't do it.

That being said, haven't you thought about swapping for a CG125, or a C90? Much more economical.

I'd only do it on a short to medium term basis and:

• if the alternative was the dole
  • and it was a possible gateway to a better paid job either at the same place, or at somewhere closer to home

Or if you could go on a self employed basis or via an umbrella agency, in which case you could you could claim back the mileage and make the long commute work for you.

There is being tough and there is being stupid....

I've done huge commutes in the past, Falmouth -> Plymouth everyday in winter in a summer jacket in winter 72 miles the bike never went under 85mph... It was tiring but didn't want to be seen as a wuss.

2006 SW freeze up I was the only man to ride the A38 frozen over.

2008 I was the only rider to go out on the night of ice when the whole place froze up

I'm plenty tough, its just that stupidity for not being seen as a wuss isn't really worth it.

I think you've answered your own question there Ken, it's not worth it.

Mind you, you do seem to be getting a lot of job offers/opportunities, even if they are unsuitable, considering the state of the economy.

I'm intrigued as to why you seem to continually ask for assistance in making life decisions on an internet forum, do you treat this place as some sort of magic 8 ball?

Mind you, you do seem to be getting a lot of job offers/opportunities, even if they are unsuitable, considering the state of the economy.

I'm intrigued as to why you seem to continually ask for assistance in making life decisions on an internet forum, do you treat this place as some sort of magic 8 ball?

sbn, we've got a live one! :lol:

ken's a fantasist. Sorry to say, I was drawn in to one of his dramas before. Kurt and Bardon had him sussed yonks ago.

sbn, we've got a live one! :lol:

ken's a fantasist. Sorry to say, I was drawn in to one of his dramas before. Kurt and Bardon had him sussed yonks ago.

Which one?

I offered proof of each and every event.

The non payment of my article? I posted up the actual article, I was actually paid a year later a few months after posting it on here. The magazine formerly TWO (Two wheels only) Changed to visor down and it is going online only.... i.e going bust.

Being attacked on the way home, I had a crime number for that and posted it up at the time, this is not really an unusual event anyway. It's radcliffe, being away from the UK for nearly a year I'd forgotten how crappy this place can be.

Theft of my bike got into the papers. I also posted a crime number at the time, it is still online and requires a small amount of searching online to find it.

The newspaper article also offers proof of my bike ride across Russia, as it has a picture of me stood on the city limits of Vladivostok. I was also spotted by Walter Colebach and Tony Pettie in Irkutsk and Vladivostok.

Chippy contract broken? I posted the contracts up and even posted the location of the shop itself. This peeved me off massively because they had been kicking it into the tall grass for a very long time which meant I turned down other opportunities in the meantime. Because I felt that this would be the one, it didn't work out this way.

I get job offers because I use a shotgun type approach just apply for it and see what happens... if there is nothing local look further a field, although I'm somewhat older I've been to the other end of the country at a drop of a hat. This job I applied for was a meh just have a go emails cost me nothing type arrangement... a phone call later I go to an interview and they say when can you start?

I ask simply because very few people IRL can give me objective advice.

My dad is the worst person in the world to ask advice from because he still believes in honour and Jesus like principles.

He was most upset by the breaking of the Chippy contract and his world view is weird with exceptionally polarised views.

He reads about a blackman involved in a crime = all black people are evil.

He sees a wealthy jew = all Jews are wealthy.

He sees Fred Kwan a rich accountant = all accountants are rich

Therefore he seens Son = accountant --> Son rich.

My sister gives bad advice which normally benefits her above anybody else.

My few remaining friends are bikers we don't discuss work with each other we just ride with each other go to weekend parties with each other.

My own decision making processes are not great because I am exceptionally impulsive.

FYI I live on the edge of Bolton, the job is just outside Halifax. Much as I'd like to find something closer I can't.

V8 Trike! Can't fall over! By the time you get to Leeds, it will have properly warmed up, you can tow a caravan too, for accomodation! :blink: