House Price Crash Forum
Pauly_Boy

Help! My House Is Falling Down

Just put this on, can someone tell me what on earth is happening?

Has the family bought a lemon and want C4 to fix it for them or have they been living there for ages?

Yes, it is a lemon....They bought it "cheap" at an auction for £80,000.

They haven't moved in yet.

Just put this on, can someone tell me what on earth is happening?

Has the family bought a lemon and want C4 to fix it for them or have they been living there for ages?

Watched one the other day, I thinks it's muppets who were tight to pay for a survey learn the hard way.

Edited by Pent Up

At least this isn't at my expense, unlike DIY SOS who last week went OT with solar panels on someone's house. At one time they would just make a room habitable again. Now they do the complete house makeover as that's more like to get the tears rolling for the camera.

Yes, it is a lemon....They bought it "cheap" at an auction for £80,000.

They haven't moved in yet.

80 grand +12.5 grand to repair the drains, rebuild the bay window and get rid of the trees. Less than 100 grand for a 5 bed detached. Even in Hull that sounds better than the average lemon.

The lesson I learned from the show is, make all the crazy buying decisions you like, and then ring Sarah Beeny in to sort it all out for you.

They bought a subsiding house from auction for £80k, decided to ignore the gaping gaps in the leaning walls and put up feature wallpaper

At least this isn't at my expense, unlike DIY SOS who last week went OT with solar panels on someone's house. At one time they would just make a room habitable again. Now they do the complete house makeover as that's more like to get the tears rolling for the camera.

I saw that one. A mid terrace in some run down pit village in Wales. I was left wondering how the neighbours felt. :angry:

Hmmm, well lets rememeber it needs new windows and has/had a wood worm issue.

I hate it when it's all done for free, I know it's a win win situation, cheap programs for BBC/Channel 4 and the owner gets a free make over, but it just seems to be rewarding them for being muppets. On the channel 4 program, I'm not sure who paid for it, but I'm sure Beenys advice helped them out and saved them a fair wedge.

Hmmm, well lets rememeber it needs new windows and has/had a wood worm issue.

I hate it when it's all done for free, I know it's a win win situation, cheap programs for BBC/Channel 4 and the owner gets a free make over, but it just seems to be rewarding them for being muppets. On the channel 4 program, I'm not sure who paid for it, but I'm sure Beenys advice helped them out and saved them a fair wedge.

Just had a look on RM anddecent 3 bed semis in the area are up for 150k+.I would put a 5 bed detached at 250+. Even if they had to pay double for the repairs, still a bargain. They took a risk and it paid off. Fair play to them.

They got lucky, that's all. Had that house needed major underpinning as well as all the rest, the bill would have been much, much higher. That the owner worked in the construction business, and yet bought without a survey, beggars belief.

He ought to start buying a Lottery ticket each week..