House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Si1

Heartbeat - Tv Series - Is It As Awful As I Think It Is?

I see it as an idealised view of happy working classes thru the eyes of middle class NIMBY property owners who like the world without riff-raff?

Or is that nonsense? seems the worst kind of fluff...

I see it as an idealised view of happy working classes thru the eyes of middle class NIMBY property owners who like the world without riff-raff?

It's aimed at the same demographic as the Daily Mail. In fact thinking about it everyone I know who likes Heartbeat is also a Daily Mail reader.

I quite enjoy it being a classic car fan.. and I don't read the Wail. It ran a bit too long but has finished all filming now.

One episode showed the establishment and police involvement against an evil woman who wanted to have an abortion. How disgusting. <_<

Quite illuminating some of it, of a 'time gone by.'

You're reading too much into it. It's harmless, cosy-nostalgia stuff, with 60s music thrown in, and all baddies getting their just comeuppance.

If you don't like it, don't watch it.

You're reading too much into it. It's harmless, cosy-nostalgia stuff, with 60s music thrown in, and all baddies getting their just comeuppance.

I don't - but I reserve the right to be a b!tch! :)

That's about the top and bottom of it. Set in the 60s, what's wrong with that. I would add that perhaps values were a little different back then too.

I haven't watch it for years, it's harmless.

I loved the sixties bought a brand new mini van same as the one in Heartbeat thought its acceleration was fantastic.

Jobs appeared to be for life, if you wanted to buy your own home you could afford it, the future really looked bright after the austerity of the late 40s and 50s.

BTW I always wanted to give Gina * **** ********. :D

And one of the most successful and popular drama series ever. Opening episode starring EastEnders heart throb Nick Berry drew huge audience and it stayed that way for 372 episodes over 19 years. That rare thing - a genuine family show.

That's about the top and bottom of it. Set in the 60s

Time in the Yorkshire of the 1960s seems to move at the same speed as the Korean war in M*A*S*H.

"Mummy TV". Control 80% of all spending decisions = 80% of all commercial TV. Other variations include "Where the heart is" and other similar heartwarming soppy fare harking back to an idealised past. The setting is largely boomer nostaliga; it was originally set in the 1950s, the police are in a way idealised from the POV of a child in the 1950s.

"Mummy TV". Control 80% of all spending decisions = 80% of all commercial TV. Other variations include "Where the heart is" and other similar heartwarming soppy fare harking back to an idealised past. The setting is largely boomer nostaliga; it was originally set in the 1950s, the police are in a way idealised from the POV of a child in the 1950s.

When you put it that way, it does sound awful! Just harmless entertainment I think! :huh:

I quite enjoy it being a classic car fan.. and I don't read the Wail. It ran a bit too long but has finished all filming now.

One episode showed the establishment and police involvement against an evil woman who wanted to have an abortion. How disgusting. <_<

Quite illuminating some of it, of a 'time gone by.'

Isn't that due to the fact that it was ilegal at the time it was set?

When you put it that way, it does sound awful! Just harmless entertainment I think! :huh:

ITV should come with a health warning for men. Watch too much of it and you'll start growing breasts. Estrogenic drama, know the risks.

When you put it that way, it does sound awful! Just harmless entertainment I think! huh.gif

I'm not sure when something is so socially inaccurate that it is not actually quite harmful, one of the biggest problems is people forcing ideals onto others that hey don't understand, hardly mitigated by observation-lacking trpe, but it's a free country of course

I'm not sure when something is so socially inaccurate that it is not actually quite harmful, one of the biggest problems is people forcing ideals onto others that hey don't understand, hardly mitigated by observation-lacking trpe, but it's a free country of course

I'm having a job to unravel all that. Do you mean that you think Heartbeat is 'socially inaccurate'?

Even if it is (and who knows the answer to that except someone who lived in a similar part of 60s rural Yorkshire?) it's fiction, - it was never purporting to be a warts-and-all documentary.

And I think you'll find that most of those who watch it are not quite as stupid as you seem to think - they know perfectly well that they're watching cosy, nostalgic fiction.

it was originally set in the 1950s, the police are in a way idealised from the POV of a child in the 1950s.

The date was never revealed. 1968 is the generally accepted date.

I'm not sure when something is so socially inaccurate that it is not actually quite harmful,

It's fiction. like Star Trek.

Very few "historical" soap operas will accurately reflect the times, since they are all from a particular point of view...

The date was never revealed. 1968 is the generally accepted date.

I'm sure it actually started set in the late 1950's (maybe 1960'ish) but they decided to stop dating it at some point so it didn't run out of the 60's and into the '70's.

I'm sure it actually started set in the late 1950's (maybe 1960'ish) but they decided to stop dating it at some point so it didn't run out of the 60's and into the '70's.

Heartbeat itself is based on the "Constable" novels of Nicholas Rhea (real name Peter Walker), who worked as a village "bobby" in a Yorkshire village in the 1960s.

They are more clearly fictionalized than say, the James Herriot books:

The Constable books have been much-loved and well-read and have a large and loyal following. "They're written in the first person, so they look like they're real stories," says Peter. "I was determined not to have a glamorous detective solving crimes. I wanted an ordinary copper on the beat - PC Nick Rhea - coping with whatever life threw at him."

The title Country Constable never saw the light of day; but Heartbeat did, and it's still a phenomenon 16 years later that's popular, says Peter, because of its warm-glow nostalgia-factor.

I don't think that Heartbeat is that bad as a series, at least not when it started, but it's now more of an assembly line product than a drama. Most of the cast has changed at least once, to be replaced with looky-likey characters who fulfill the same dramatic function. They've had at least 3 "lovable rogues" permanently on the make for example. And two (or is it three?) Nick Berry clones.

Heartbeat itself is based on the "Constable" novels of Nicholas Rhea (real name Peter Walker), who worked as a village "bobby" in a Yorkshire village in the 1960s.

They are more clearly fictionalized than say, the James Herriot books:

I don't think that Heartbeat is that bad as a series, at least not when it started, but it's now more of an assembly line product than a drama. Most of the cast has changed at least once, to be replaced with looky-likey characters who fulfill the same dramatic function. They've had at least 3 "lovable rogues" permanently on the make for example. And two (or is it three?) Nick Berry clones.

The trouble is that they strung it out for far too long, much like they did with Last of the Summer Wine, The Bill or Big Brother. I've only ever watch about half an episode of Midsomer Murders, but how many murders have there been? I reckon the murderer has to be John Nettles.

Heartbeat is in its final series now...always found it a decent Sunday evening winding-down programme.The Sixties ambience was pretty accurate;I'm a classic car buff too.Last Of The Summer Wine ended last Sunday;ran out of ideas a long time ago.The Bill's final episode was on Tuesday this week;will miss that,having watched from the beginning.

The trouble is that they strung it out for far too long, much like they did with Last of the Summer Wine, The Bill or Big Brother. I've only ever watch about half an episode of Midsomer Murders, but how many murders have there been? I reckon the murderer has to be John Nettles.

About 3 per episode - you wonder how there's anybody left in Midsomer :P But that is the most phenomenally successful series. I'm sure I read somewhere that it sold to well over 100 countries. A couple of years ago I met a Malaysian girl at a wedding in Stockholm who was a colossal fan.

Another one that sold all over was Keeping Up Appearances. Apparently a big hit in Syria of all places, but then I guess every country has its Hyacinth Buckets. And when I lived in Oman a big hit there was Mind Your Language (anyone remember that?)

The trouble is that they strung it out for far too long

Absolutely and this seems to be a clear trend in the modern TV world.

In the past (i.e. more than 25 years ago), a popular series could get the chop merely because it was deemed to have reached a natural end, or it was getting stale.

The BBC axed The Bothers at a time when it was still hugely popular. Likewise Blake's 7, which was getting 10 million viewers up against Coronation Street.

A drama series might run for 3 or 4 years maximum, before being replaced by something new.

But new today means an unknown ratings quantity. Best to stick with the tried and true products for as long as possible. Or produce spin-offs such as The Royal or Lewis.

Today a series only gets axed when every ounce of ratings benefit has been squeezed out of it. We get series like Heartbeat, Peak Practice, Where The Heart Is, London's Burning, etc. that go on and on and on and bloody on, long past the point where they've exhausted themselves creatively.

The cast that leave are replaced by identikit characters, or in the case of London's Burning, identikit tokens. Black fireman leaves to be replaced by another black fireman. Female fireman leaves to be replaced by another female fire fighter.

The absolute daddy of dragged out beyond the point of ridiculous is Taggart, which has lasted 15 years with no Taggart and even the replacement leads have long since been replaced.