House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pajd

When Do The Cuts Begin?

Do we have some elections early next year? After that I believe....

Surely cuts are being imposed by Westminster? The locals are powerless when it comes to the big decisions ( Thank God for that!)

Hold the press chaps. Someone on MSE who happens to work in the CS and coming from a law background (we all know they would never mislead) is saying that we are all wrong and the civil service is in fact totally OK as it is. I guess we best get onto Mr Cameron and let him know.

They're happening as we speak, just not reported.

Exactly. Capital expenditure is frozen. Recruitment has been frozen for a number of years (which is where the real job cuts will come from).

Exactly. Capital expenditure is frozen. Recruitment has been frozen for a number of years (which is where the real job cuts will come from).

All those youngsters are now fighting for half as many jobs... which means the number who will be on JSA is likely to be dramatically raised until the whole mess is sorted...

I doubt a recruitment freeze will be enough. Real actual job cuts are will be necessary. I find it highly unlikely the majority or job cuts will come from England where there is actual political capital to lose.

I’m sure the freeze is enough for now but when the 40% cuts occur, massive headcount reductions are inevitable.

All IMPO obviously.

I doubt a recruitment freeze will be enough. Real actual job cuts are will be necessary. I find it highly unlikely the majority or job cuts will come from England where there is actual political capital to lose.

I’m sure the freeze is enough for now but when the 40% cuts occur, massive headcount reductions are inevitable.

All IMPO obviously.

We won't see 40% cuts unless the government is forced into it by an all-out crisis.

The cuts to the capital budget are going to be horrendous; this year it's about £1.6bn, that will be cut by £500m next year with the promise of more to come.

The bulk of capital spend goes to DRD for roads and DSD for urban regeneration. Civil

engineers who are heavily exposed to those two departments are going to have a very bad time. Anecdotally I'm aware that in Road Service virtually every project which had not had it's contract signed off is now in abeyance.

If you google around you can find the NI investment strategy, a document which is of no further practical use. SIB who were basically running it will have to sack a lot of people.

The cuts to the capital budget are going to be horrendous; this year it's about £1.6bn, that will be cut by £500m next year with the promise of more to come.

The bulk of capital spend goes to DRD for roads and DSD for urban regeneration. Civil

engineers who are heavily exposed to those two departments are going to have a very bad time. Anecdotally I'm aware that in Road Service virtually every project which had not had it's contract signed off is now in abeyance.

If you google around you can find the NI investment strategy, a document which is of no further practical use. SIB who were basically running it will have to sack a lot of people.

Of some relevance: http://www.isni.gov.uk/Performance.aspx