House Price Crash Forum
stormymonday_2011

Anglo Irish Bank In £6.4Bn Loss

Hot off the presses from the Emerald Isle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11139906

I work that out at over £1000 for every man, woman and child in the Irish Republic - and that is just 6 months worth of losses.

On edit - Apparently they are to be split into two banks - a bad bank and an absolute disaster of a bank

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Hot of the presses from the Emerald Isle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11139906

I work that out at over £1000 for every man, woman and child in the Irish Republic - and that is just 6 months worth of losses.

On edit - Apparently they are to be split into two banks - a bad bank and an absolute disaster of a bank

Are those the people who did the 100% guarantee ? :D:D:D:D:D

Are those the people who did the 100% guarantee ? :D:D:D:D:D

Anglo was a relatively minor property bank of no systemic importance. It should never have been included in the guarantee :angry: .

I still can't understand why there aren't mobs in the streets over this bailout. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving the place........

BTW it works out as €4800 per worker

Edited by John The Pessimist

Anglo was a relatively minor property bank of no systemic importance. It should never have been included in the guarantee :angry: .

I still can't understand why there aren't mobs in the streets over this bailout. It's one of the reasons I'm leaving the place........

true, tho im not emmigrating, instead my business and accounts are going offshore, i cant vote at the ballot so i will vote with my valet ;)

anyways here are the real figures

On the foot of today's comment in the Financial Times, here are few quick estimates as to the extent to which current policy on banks recapitalization is bleeding the economy dry.

As estimated by myself (comfortably within the S&P projections), Ireland will stand to lose net:

Nama - net loss of (mid-range) €12-19bn;

Banks - net losses are €50-55.6bn.

Here is my calculation , population 4.5 million

6,400,000,000 divided by 4,500,000 = 1,422 Euro per man , woman and child!

Irish borrowing cost are going up every day.

The black hole of debt is sucking the life out of the place.

I thought Anglo was the worst of the worst. Lending massive amounts to property developers, that then all went bust. They were not a big mortgage bank I will admit that.

dont they run the UK post office savings accounts?

It's Bank of Ireland, and they're not FSCS-regulated. I looked into a Post Office one-year bond a few months ago, and discovered in the very small print that Post Office financial products are not covered by the FSCS guarantee. Needless so say I stayed away, but I wonder how many of the financially semi-literate regard the Post Office as a trusted brand and have put their savings in there anyway.

Sure begorrah isn't it great to have an apathetic, ignorant electorate and Fianna Fáil in your pocket.

It's Bank of Ireland, and they're not FSCS-regulated. I looked into a Post Office one-year bond a few months ago, and discovered in the very small print that Post Office financial products are not covered by the FSCS guarantee. Needless so say I stayed away, but I wonder how many of the financially semi-literate regard the Post Office as a trusted brand and have put their savings in there anyway.

This could be one of those "biggest ever national scandals" events that causes a run on all banks... I mean if your money isn't safe with the post office, who is it safe with?

Me, me, me...I know Sir.

"No one."

Wait my money isn't safe with ANY BANK?

my MONEY ISN'T SAFE WITH ANY BANK?

I'm off to withdraw it straight away, and suggest everyone else do th same.

{Bank run}

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

I wonder how many people think they are putting their money in National Savings?