House Price Crash Forum
The Masked Tulip

Overtime Pay Axed To Save Hospitals Cash

Here's an update to that thread of a few weeks back where it transpired that the Welsh Assembly had a few hundred executives earning 150K a year in the Welsh NHS even though there are no jobs for them - and that if they applied for a lower position they would maintain their salaries.

Well, alas so typical of Welsh Labour Party mentality that dominates the Welsh Assembly, it seems that Doctors, Nurses, Porters, other NHS workers are now having an overtime ban placed on them.

The priorities of New Liebour, as much as Labour is New Liebour in Wales, are so messed up.

Overtime pay axed to save hospitals cash

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Overtime-pay-axed-save-hospitals-cash/article-2585300-detail/article.html

These caring people who work in a vocational carear get paid for over-time...nice.

I've always thought Doctors, who must be the most caring people in the world, should really be working for average wage...I mean, they want to help, the have much empathy for people and lovely people....they shouldnt need paid 250K a year to do what they love doing....or maybe they are just in it for the (public/tax payer) cash.

These caring people who work in a vocational carear get paid for over-time...nice.

I've always thought Doctors, who must be the most caring people in the world, should really be working for average wage...I mean, they want to help, the have much empathy for people and lovely people....they shouldnt need paid 250K a year to do what they love doing....or maybe they are just in it for the (public/tax payer) cash.

Everyone should get paid for overtime , if you went in a shop and bought a number of items you pay for them , then you go back and get some more you pay for those as well , you don't expect the first payment to cover the extra items.Why should peoples time they put in at work be any different , if the place want more work they pay for it.

Where do you get the 250k from ?

Doctors earining average wage !!, after all the years of extra education and the time put into learning their skills!!

What ever they get paid the ones who saved my life in 2009 , deserve a high pay packet. If you ever find yourself in a life or death situation like i did and recover through the doctors expertise im sure you would feel like me they are worth far more than average wages.

Should be a law against union membership. Earn more than an average salary and you cant be a member. Something very wrong about people on six figure salaries joining something which was supposed to help the working class.

Our public sector unions are getting like american baseball unions.

What total rubbish.

My wife is a midwife. Twelve hour shifts, no meal breaks and no overtime if late finishing. It may be vocational but Hospitals exploit the nursing professionals.

AFAIK you're not a troll, but that's a troll post.

What total rubbish.

My wife is a midwife. Twelve hour shifts, no meal breaks and no overtime if late finishing. It may be vocational but Hospitals exploit the nursing professionals.

Yes bang on and many thanks to your wife and people like her .

| used to work 12 hour shifts in a factory , we had it set up where the last 2-3 hours of the night nothing really was done , we wound down. After our last tea break , we checked the plant , went for a shower , had a smoke, and waited for the next shift to come in. In the rare event of having to do anything with any effort we hated it.

When i was in Hospital last year I noticed that the end of the night shift ( 8-8 maybe 8-15 with hand over ) was the most busy time for the nurses getting everyone up and washed. My hat is off to them as i know how hard it is after a long night shift to be working right up untill the end of the shift.

When you are old enough to drink you'll realise what a stupid argument that is. Let me know if you want advice on shaving.

hats off to the front line workers - poor souls and dedicated professionals

Boo! to the nasty management class who have appropriated the national wealth to their own wallets

I seem to recall brutish nasty types milking it off greater society at the height of my tory-hatred in 1996 - something to do with turds naturally floating...

What total rubbish.

Funny, it's always the blokes that are married to the nurses that complain when yuo say something like this.

You're obviously not caring.

Society is all about money now, how much you can get, how much your time is worth...how much, how much , how much,

No one cares about anyone else now...not even the nurses and doctors....society in this country is well and truely broken.

When you are old enough to drink you'll realise what a stupid argument that is. Let me know if you want advice on shaving.

It's when you realise how greedy selfish and stupid people are that you realise what a stupid comment that is.

Everything is about money now...it's a s***e state of affairs and as I tax payer I;m sick to death of paying for moaning face greedy public sector works who seem to put a premium on their time because "they deserve it"...well, no you don't, not more than anyone else.

Let me know if you want some advice on doing your shoe laces up :D:D:D:D:D

I may have posted this before but it seems relevant here...

Overtime is also going to be a line of attack for police spending I'm told. Some years back Inspector level and above gave up paid overtime for a 3K raise, sergeants and pc's didn't agree to it, and they can make thousands per month from overtime. The same "deal" will be forced upon them soon.

So if your planning some petty crime, do it in the last hour before shift change, PC's will not be keen on any arrests during that

Edited by phead

It's when you realise how greedy selfish and stupid people are that you realise what a stupid comment that is.

Everything is about money now...it's a s***e state of affairs and as I tax payer I;m sick to death of paying for moaning face greedy public sector works who seem to put a premium on their time because "they deserve it"...well, no you don't, not more than anyone else.

Let me know if you want some advice on doing your shoe laces up :D:D:D:D:D

There are a lot of doctors who are milking the system for all they can get, especially GPs. However, I know of many more who are dedicated to what they do, who give up many more hours than they are paid for, and who I would happily see rewarded like bankers. It's not all about money.

Some years back Inspector level and above gave up paid overtime for a 3K raise, sergeants and pc's didn't agree to it, and they can make thousands per month from overtime. The same "deal" will be forced upon them soon.

If you do work, you should be paid for it.

The problem isn't that police officers get overtime, it's that houses are so high that without overtime the officers wouldn't be able to afford to keep a roof over their families heads.

IIRC front line (mostly young) police officers have a 1 in 4 chance of being off sick for at least a week a year due to being assaulted while on duty... and that's given that most officers wont go off sick for minor stuff like bruises, cuts and grazes. They work extra hours getting the shit kicked out of them so they can afford to pay their landlord.

Civil service wages aren't the problem, it's that they have to be paid that much to afford a roof over their head.

YOU'RE ALL SOLVING THE WRONG PROBLEM AGAIN.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

An increasingly doom laden outlook impacting on everyday lives in a year or two will push out insanity cases like Tulips 150k non workers into the seething public conscious - the govt will then have a madate to cull.

People are more controlled by the meja, stay at home unsociable, consumerist and celebrity laden mass mind set BUT it has made folk ultimately more spoilt and less resilient than previous decades. The gloves will off - expect the insane and unaffordable pension liabilitiesand salaries to also be addressed.

.......If people don't react the mantra of debt as slavery is correct!

What total rubbish.

Quite. There is no paid overtime if you stay late, or are too busy to eat. Overtime is only payable if you are required to work an additional shift because of staff shortage.

Certainly among medical staff, overtime is often done under duress - so the payment is welcome. It's quite typical for a doctors' contract to include a clause stating that they cannot refuse to undertake emergency overtime, if requested to do so. Believe me, it's a real pisser when on Christmas eve, you get a call from HR saying 'Dr Bob has been taken ill, and can't come to work tomorrow. No one has volunteered to do Christmas day/Boxing day shifts. Therefore we've held a lottery. You've been selected to work 9 am - 9pm on Christmas and Boxing day. Under the terms of your contract you have no right to refuse this request. We will, of course, pay our standard overtime rate of £21 per hour. Sorry, no, there is no uplift for working on a bank holiday. Merry Christmas!'.

Uninformed idiot.

Quite. There is no paid overtime if you stay late, or are too busy to eat. Overtime is only payable if you are required to work an additional shift because of staff shortage.

Certainly among medical staff, overtime is often done under duress - so the payment is welcome. It's quite typical for a doctors' contract to include a clause stating that they cannot refuse to undertake emergency overtime, if requested to do so. Believe me, it's a real pisser when on Christmas eve, you get a call from HR saying 'Dr Bob has been taken ill, and can't come to work tomorrow. No one has volunteered to do Christmas day/Boxing day shifts. Therefore we've held a lottery. You've been selected to work 9 am - 9pm on Christmas and Boxing day. Under the terms of your contract you have no right to refuse this request. We will, of course, pay our standard overtime rate of £21 per hour. Sorry, no, there is no uplift for working on a bank holiday. Merry Christmas!'.

I do have real doubts about this story. Most trusts employ a model contract, with perhaps some minor local tweaks. I have never heard of a doctor being forced to work a shift. Generally they are asked nicely (or forcefully) but are always able to say no.

If you try to force a doctor (or other hospital staff) to work a shift and they say no, then you, as a HR bod, are in shit creek because what would you do next? Sack them? In any case I have never heard of a HR bod being anywhere near work outside of the normal working day. It will be the hospital duty manager and these guys are generally top dog with the pressure and would really think twice before pissing off vital staff.

I do have real doubts about this story. Most trusts employ a model contract, with perhaps some minor local tweaks. I have never heard of a doctor being forced to work a shift. Generally they are asked nicely (or forcefully) but are always able to say no.

If you try to force a doctor (or other hospital staff) to work a shift and they say no, then you, as a HR bod, are in shit creek because what would you do next? Sack them? In any case I have never heard of a HR bod being anywhere near work outside of the normal working day. It will be the hospital duty manager and these guys are generally top dog with the pressure and would really think twice before pissing off vital staff.

Basically, as it was a working day, HR were about. The only thing of doubt is how hard HR would have pressed if the answer was 'no'.

And as the doctor involved wasn't going to celebrate Christmas anyway, it wasn't really a big deal for him to say 'yes' when pressed. So there was no antagonism. However, the impression given by HR and the clinical director was very much that someone was going to work those shifts, whether they liked it or not.

As for hospital duty managers, I've met some who seem to deliberately antagonise key staff. I know one night manager, who would routinely go around the doctor's rooms at night, looking for doctors who were napping between calls and waking them up, on the basis that 'on-call doesn't mean you can sleep between calls'.

OK... let's see here. I don't really know why I thought this instantly but, is this hospital / hospitals in London perchance?

No. But that's not to say that all London hospitals are better, because I know that some have a reputation for treating staff very badly.

You can't imagine the money people in Pathology earn for being on-call. Its obscene & no, I'm not one of them. I was stunned when I found out, they get a phenomenal overtime rate AND time off in lieu, if they were actually phoned past a certain hour of an evening.

You can't imagine the money people in Pathology earn for being on-call. Its obscene & no, I'm not one of them. I was stunned when I found out, they get a phenomenal overtime rate AND time off in lieu, if they were actually phoned past a certain hour of an evening.

Odd, in my part of the world i hear they got paid poorly - but that was about 15 years ago.

Being on call means you can't do much with your life - not even fully relax.