House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

U K Shoppers Celebrate Recovereh With More Spending

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-30/u-k-consumer-confidence-rises-as-economic-acceleration-cheers-shoppers.html

U.K. Consumer Confidence Rises as Economic Acceleration Cheers Shoppers
By Craig "Kreg" Stirling - Aug 31, 2010 12:01 AM GMT+0100
Frenzied shoppers at a John Lewis department store in Kent, U.K. Photographer: Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg
U.K. consumer confidence unexpectedly rose in August for the first time in six months in a sign that rebounding economic growth is cheering shoppers, a report by GfK NOP Ltd. showed.

In other reports, tractor production has exceeded all of cental government targets for this year.......

Rose? Rose from what? A low low low?

I personally do not believe this nonsense. Stuff is not selling in shops in my part of the World.

stuff is selling, but it is deeply discounted inventories. Once they have gone, these prices aren't coming back. I even opened my wallet recently and bought a new headset for my bike, which was GBP20, reduced from GBP 89.99.

stuff is selling, but it is deeply discounted inventories.  Once they have gone, these prices aren't coming back.  I even opened my wallet recently and bought a new headset for my bike, which was GBP20, reduced from GBP 89.99.

Steady on there!

I know it is nearing the end of summer, but when have Millets previously sold tents reduced from £240 to £80? Repeat ad nauseum for all the tat on the high street and that's why sales are up.

I remember the days when a Pound store was the only of its kind on a street, now it seems they are everywhere. Next, they'll be selling dirt for pennies.

I know it is nearing the end of summer, but when have Millets previously sold tents reduced from £240 to £80? Repeat ad nauseum for all the tat on the high street and that's why sales are up.

I remember the days when a Pound store was the only of its kind on a street, now it seems they are everywhere. Next, they'll be selling dirt for pennies.

This isn't actually deflation, before our very eyes is it? Strange how asset prices and public service costs are immune.

Quick Merv, print up some more readies, the medicine isn't working.

Now is the winter of our discount tent?

This isn't actually deflation, before our very eyes is it? Strange how asset prices and public service costs are immune.

Quick Merv, print up some more readies, the medicine isn't working.

Didn't Millets buy the allegedly failing Blacks in the past year?

I am sure I read about it and at the time I thought that was rather odd as, instead of letting a competitor disappear, you actually buy into a failing business. I can only assume they thought they were buying market share... but market share of an allegedly failing business?

I could be wrong and may have dreamt it all.

Didn't Millets buy the allegedly failing Blacks in the past year?

I am sure I read about it and at the time I thought that was rather odd as, instead of letting a competitor disappear, you actually buy into a failing business. I can only assume they thought they were buying market share... but market share of an allegedly failing business?

I could be wrong and may have dreamt it all.

There's a Millets and a Blacks in Cardiff. And a Kudos, a Cotswold Outdoor and a Field & Trek, all in the city centre, and a GO Outdoors on the retail strip on Newport Road.

Guess whose daughter went backpacking this summer.

stuff is selling, but it is deeply discounted inventories. Once they have gone, these prices aren't coming back. I even opened my wallet recently and bought a new headset for my bike, which was GBP20, reduced from GBP 89.99.

When you say 'headset' to you mean a bicycle 'helmet'? Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

I did my bit and splashed out on a 37" Panasonic LCD TX-S20* reduced to £399 plus VAT from Costco, Croydon where they had a £100 off voucher on this set. Of course, you then need some decent speakers so I bought BluRay Panasonic 2.1 speaker set (can't be faffed to set up speakers all round the room). I also "downsized" my ax collection and sold my Martin on eBay and bought a nice cheap Yamaha CPX700 online virtually new for £290. Also bought a few other odds and sods including a HP Pavillion slimline computer to fit into a smaller house when I get one!

In fact, I did more than my bit.

*If there are any biggish screen LCD avacados out there what do you think of the hidden problem with a lot of Freeview HD compatible sets that cannot read broadcast HD Freeview 5.1 Dolby. Sony (and Samsung) do not apparently have this issue but, IMO, Sony LCDs are not as nice as the Panasonics. A hi-fi geek on What-HiFi discovered it and posted it on their blog.

Edited by Realistbear

When you say 'headset' to you mean a bicycle 'helmet'? Where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

I assumed he mean't the rotating part between the forks and the frame itself. However it must have been really good quality as they are usually around £20-25 anyway.