House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Public Sector Job Cuts 'to Hit Wales And North'

At least one in 10 people will be unemployed in half of UK regions by 2015, an economic think tank has forecast.

According to the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR), the unemployment rate will exceed 10% in Wales and the North of England.

The CEBR blamed expected huge cuts to public sector jobs.

London and the South of England are expected to escape the worst of the job losses, however.

The report warns unemployment could reach as high as 11% in Wales and the North East of England - both regions where many people are dependent on the public sector for work.

Speaking to the BBC, the CEBR's chief executive Douglas McWilliams said that Wales in particular could suffer because of the number of public sector jobs there.

"Those regions which are currently very dependent on the public sector are likely to suffer a lot more as the public sector gets cut," he said.

"Wales is probably going to be region that's going to be hit most by this, but also regions like the North West and the West Midlands.

"In Wales there has been a massive growth in public spending in the last few years, and that's probably unsustainable."

The goverment is due to detail its planned spending cuts later this year, following a comprehensive spending review.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11130269

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Hardly a surprise since that is where many public sector workers are based.

When I worked for the Inland Revenue in the early 1980s much of the tax affairs for London and parts of the South East had already been 'outsourced' to London Provincial Tax Offices in the North and Scotland more than a decade earlier. Many other government departments had done the same.

You can't save money by shutting public sector offices in the South East when you have already closed them 40 years earliier..

Edited by realcrookswearsuits

Hardly a surprise since that is where many public sector workers are based.

When I worked for the Inland Revenue in the early 1980s much of the tax affairs for London and parts of the South East had already been 'outsourced' to London Provincial Tax Offices in the North and Scotland more than a decade earlier. Many other government departments had done the same.

You can't save money by shutting public sector offices in the South East when you have already closed them 40 years earliier..

I think that is HMRC policy though isn't it - the tax office for a particular region is located in another geographical region to stop fraud, crime and keep information confidential.

If your tax was dealt with by people in your own town then it could be open to fraud or crime by allowing people to target the wealthy in a given region, etc, etc.

There is a big tax office in Swansea which deals with tax from somewhere else and I think the Welsh tax is handled in Newcastle.

I think that is HMRC policy though isn't it - the tax office for a particular region is located in another geographical region to stop fraud, crime and keep information confidential.

If your tax was dealt with by people in your own town then it could be open to fraud or crime by allowing people to target the wealthy in a given region, etc, etc.

There is a big tax office in Swansea which deals with tax from somewhere else and I think the Welsh tax is handled in Newcastle.

Also some people would put their windows through.

Same reason the police are spread out.

they can all go work at DVLA.that firm will never go under.people are always going to need road tax

Various rumours doing the rounds - one is of 2,000 jobs to go, another is of 4,000 jobs to go.

I think that is HMRC policy though isn't it - the tax ofice for a particular region is located in another geographical region to stop fraud, crime and keep information confidential.

No. These offices dealt with mainly PAYE taxpayers so the risk of collusion or fraud was minimal. It was purely part of a (Labour) government policy. to move public sector jobs from the South East to more economically depressed regions. There were also some cost savings on rent etc (though not on wages due to national pay scales). ln addition in the 1960s the Civil Service struggled to recruit and retain staff in London, This job migration process was still underway under governments in the 1990s as far as I know. Certainly the Inland Revenue moved many of its functions to its campus in Nottingham as well as offices in Shipley and Newcastle. At the same time all the tax offices in Guildford and all bar one in Woking where I had worked were shut. The point is that many of the Inland Revenue jobs in the South East have long gone so you they are simply not there to be cut again. The process of moving the jobs north and west means that if they are going to be cut then that inevitably is where most of the impact will be felt

On Edit - I note HMRC do retain an 'Enquiry Centre in Guildford but that probably means three people, a PC and a telephone if the local Enquiry Centre I use on the south coast is anything to go by. Many of the remaining offices in the South East were already slated for closure under Labour plans beginning in 2008 so there may be even less left now for Osbourne to hit

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/local/south-east-final.htm

they'll have to up the marketing budget.increase market share.

car tax is car tax.makes you wonder if they can manage now with 2000 less people,why didn't they do it years ago.

is swansea all Labour seats?

Parliament is all Labour seats, Welsh Assembly is all Labour seats but Liberal Council.

Public sector spending per head of population is higher in London than it is in Wales. I don't know how that would be reflected in terms of jobs?

Public sector spending per head of population is higher in London than it is in Wales. I don't know how that would be reflected in terms of jobs?

Almost certainly down to the cost of Housing Benefit alone.

In job terms London Councils who pay HB will be looking at job cuts but all the national benefits are largely run out of huge offices in the provinces not London.

DWP alone is one of the biggest employers in the North East of England

Here is a picture of their massive office in Longbenton

DWPLongbentonaerial-aa14024b.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=31303dc6764a389e567e9116761cd744

Here is a picture of their massive office in Longbenton

I wonder how many of the houses in that photo have wage earners dependent on the DWP?

Here is the DVLA. It has a cemetary next door so I think I am safe in saying that most of the residents are not big in property.

sm-image-6-491983170.jpg

very stasi-esque

Yes, the crematorium is next door to it.

I was just pondering whether any of the staff reflect on the fact that working in the DVLA is probably akin to a slow death anyhow? They used to offer really good money for IT contracts there - only stopped the adverts a few weeks ago - but I preferred to go halfway around the planet rather than work there. I find the place depressing.

I wonder how many of the houses in that photo have wage earners dependent on the DWP?

Here is the DVLA. It has a cemetary next door so I think I am safe in saying that most of the residents are not big in property.

sm-image-6-491983170.jpg

Not many sites like these left in the South East.

HMRC still has a pretty big presence in Worthing on the South Coast near where I live.

Its Barrington Road site employs approximately 1000 people but its days are probably numbered.

In its favour it resides in the area of at least three Tory MPs

they can all go work at DVLA.that firm will never go under.people are always going to need road tax

The road fund licence was abolished before WWII

What you pay is car tax: vehicle excise duty. It's a tax on using a car, not using the road. This matters, because it legitimises the use of the road by other road users in a way that the road fund licence didn't

I'm not sure if you are being ironic, but road tax is the classic artificial state created need. The same income could be generated (probably more efficiently) by placing a small extra tax on fuel. Do this and you could extend that cemetery in Swansea...

[there are also a number of other good reasons for moving car taxation to a more usage based system but they are OT for this thread]

I agree. Provinces=Expendables.

Rubbish. If you think government workers in the south are protected then you obviously now f*ck all about how the British state operates

Civil Servants in the south have been getting the shaft for decades as anyone who has worked for the government will know

No one has ever shed a tear for the workers in that part of the world who lost their jobs or were forced to move.

http://network.civilservicelive.com/pg/pages/view/282287/

What is happening now is that the cuts are going nationwide

BTW I never heard anyone in Glasgow working in HM Inspectors London Provincial 20 or in Edinburgh working in HM Inspectors London Provincial 25 bemoaning the 'provincial' nature of their titles. They were more than happy to get a job handling London taxpayers records,

For info here is another picture of a big f*ck off bureaucratic monstrosity. This is the HMRC complex in Nottingham

_46898567_09inlandrevenue.jpg

This was the lead story on The World Tonight just now. They did a vox pop in Newport, and a twenty-something woman who had a part-time retail job (or something like that) emoted along the lines of: 'I'm just stuck working in the private sector. You know it's pretty bad, but there you are. I mean, getting a job at the council ... that would be like you've died and gone to heaven. But those jobs are like gold dust...'. That, IMO, was a pretty scary demonstration of how deeply entrenched the 'private sector = bad' / 'public sector = good' Pavlovian distinction has been hammered home and entrenched under Labour. It's almost as if there is a stigma in being in a job that isn't funded by the taxpayer.

This was the lead story on The World Tonight just now. They did a vox pop in Newport, and a twenty-something woman who had a part-time retail job (or something like that) emoted along the lines of: 'I'm just stuck working in the private sector. You know it's pretty bad, but there you are. I mean, getting a job at the council ... that would be like you've died and gone to heaven. But those jobs are like gold dust...'. That, IMO, was a pretty scary demonstration of how deeply entrenched the 'private sector = bad' / 'public sector = good' Pavlovian distinction has been hammered home and entrenched under Labour. It's almost as if there is a stigma in being in a job that isn't funded by the taxpayer.

IMPO Brown was of the mentality that all self-employed people were akin to the spiv Walker character in 'Dad's Army' - typical Stalinist mentality.

Blair was clever enough to know that New Liebour needed big business to get into power so they were very nice to CEOs and went after the small business person - IR35 was the classic, back-taxing couples where one owned a business if the other spouse had been pai 3K a year to do the books was another.

What do they mean '1 in 10' could be unemployed in the nether regions by 2015? Its already well above that, dito in the SE, or is the 'official' stats they are talking about?

I think you are misreading it. There is no stigma, its just she knows that a public sector job is the life of riley. Pay increases for no productivity, lots of sick time, work whatever hours you want.

Personally I think a public sector job gives a stigma. They all must know they contribute nothing to society, pay no taxes and are a burden on the rest of us, right?

What do they mean '1 in 10' could be unemployed in the nether regions by 2015? Its already well above that, dito in the SE, or is the 'official' stats they are talking about?

Yeah, I thought that. Do they mean an extra 1 in 10? But if so its still nothing, and by 2015? So what. We need 30% cuts now, not 10% cuts in 5 years time. Nothing is going to happen is it? I hate this pathetic country.

Guest eight

I bet if you work there but live in one of those houses just above the yellow and blue dumpsters that you have to walk/drive all the way round. No way are they just going to let you hop over the fence.

eight