House Price Crash Forum

'how Thousands Of Council Homes Go To Foreigners'.

Was going to post about this yesterday, because the Sunday Times was reporting that the new government is going to allow Local Councils to write their own housing rules and give local people more priority. No linky due to Times paywall (blah blah).

Of course we were being told for years by New Labour this wasn't happening, but we all knew from our own experiences that immigrants were getting priority.

The DM article is basically a rewrite of the ST one though with their unique slant on it. :lol:

Edited by Sir John Steed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1307248/How-thousands-council-homes-foreigners.html

'Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons languishing for years on waiting lists.

The Daily Wail can reveal that last year some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from countries which have recently become part of the European Union, such as Lithuania and Poland.

Thousands more go to other European migrants and others without British citizenship even though the waiting list for social housing stands at 1.8million, with the average wait lasting more than six years.'

sometimes you jsut have to sit back and admire the success of our membership of the EU.Whoever came up with that idea desrves a larger than life statue somewhere exotic like skegness.

FFS if just once one of these headlines came from anywhere other than the Daily Hate, it may be worth sitting up and taking notice, when will you people ever learn ? They ring the bell, you dribble. Christ and people on these boards have the nerve to call the general populace sheep.

oh and btw, i used to work in the media (about 5 years ago) and I can assure you that these headlines are designed precisely to cause the knee jerk outrage that it does. They know that there is an appetite for this stuff, they peddle it you buy it...

oh and btw, i used to work in the media (about 5 years ago) and I can assure you that these headlines are designed precisely to cause the knee jerk outrage that it does. They know that there is an appetite for this stuff, they peddle it you buy it...

Yes I know. This is typical DM "link bait."

However the coalition is changing the rules about housing lists (allegedly). The ST article (upon which this was spun) was less provacative.

FFS if just once one of these headlines came from anywhere other than the Daily Hate, it may be worth sitting up and taking notice, when will you people ever learn ? They ring the bell, you dribble. Christ and people on these boards have the nerve to call the general populace sheep.

So what if it makes us angry. What is going on is completely wrong, and it is good that the Mail reports it, and it is right that we are outraged.

The problem is that when you get governments interfere in things, then you get a worse outcome. Councils can decide who gets a subsidised house, and that creates a huge unfairness for the people that they dont pick to get one.

The right solution is for councils to sell off ALL their housing stock to the highest bidder, apart from a few emergency flats. Then let people find their own private rented accommodation, after all they have access to housing benefit.

Interesting that there are 1.8 million people waiting. Hardly surprising, the subsidy on council homes is so large, that demand swamps supply. It always does when you make the price of something artificially low. Those who dont get the subsidy have to pay for those that do, which has to be true, as the first law of Government is that they always make things worse.

Also interesting about the 1.8 million is where are they all living exactly? And does that figure include numbers waiting, or numbers plus their dependents.

Come on ComDems, get this right. Get councils to sell off all their housing stock to the highest bidder now, and relieve councils of their need to house all but the really desperate. No bonuses for single mothers, and strangely enough, you wont get so many single mothers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1307248/How-thousands-council-homes-foreigners.html

'Thousands of Eastern European citizens are given council houses every year, leapfrogging millions of Britons languishing for years on waiting lists.

The Daily Wail can reveal that last year some 4,000 homes were allocated to applicants from countries which have recently become part of the European Union, such as Lithuania and Poland.

Thousands more go to other European migrants and others without British citizenship even though the waiting list for social housing stands at 1.8million, with the average wait lasting more than six years.'

sometimes you jsut have to sit back and admire the success of our membership of the EU.Whoever came up with that idea desrves a larger than life statue somewhere exotic like skegness.

A friend of mine, his son was going with a polish girl, she was lodging at his parents house with them. She got pregnant and had baby. Got given a council house, same as her sister. Now she gets all the benifits the friends son has to stay at home and can only visit limited times or she will loose said benifits. So now they cannot live together anymore because of our feckin benifit system. And i assume another case for child support agency or whatever it is now. Its all beyond a joke. Hope my grandchildren can get a house so easily.

A friend of mine, his son was going with a polish girl, she was lodging at his parents house with them. She got pregnant and had baby. Got given a council house, same as her sister. Now she gets all the benifits the friends son has to stay at home and can only visit limited times or she will loose said benifits. So now they cannot live together anymore because of our feckin benifit system. And i assume another case for child support agency or whatever it is now. Its all beyond a joke. Hope my grandchildren can get a house so easily.

Not rare unfortunately, i think a lot of us know of people in such situations. Although often they just stay without notifiying the system though.

As usual with liebour, not disciminating against single mothers or ethnic minorities gives them an excuse to discriminate against couples and the ethnic majority.

Doubt the tories will change it.

Not rare unfortunately, i think a lot of us know of people in such situations. Although often they just stay without notifiying the system though.

As usual with liebour, not disciminating against single mothers or ethnic minorities gives them an excuse to discriminate against couples and the ethnic majority.

Doubt the tories will change it.

I know, but its feckin annoying, particularly because the consensus on here is that anyone who has made some kind profit should pay more in CGT. Why should they? To rescue the country or pay for this kind of shit.

kenny,you seem to think I give a f***.I don't.

and I readily accept that my understanding of central banking accounting is woeful.

You miss the point, but then you would. The bulk of the people on these boards are fodder, they stick up a straw men, you scream your righteous indignation, job done.

There are some real villains behind our current woes, but you keep ranting against teen mums, "feckless dolies", immigrants, your-favourite-choice-of-random-minority...

divide and conquer, it was ever thus....

There are some real villains behind our current woes, but you keep ranting against teen mums, "feckless dolies", immigrants, your-favourite-choice-of-random-minority...

divide and conquer, it was ever thus....

I'd certainly agree with that, given that the media/tv is full of "tenants from hell" "plumbers from hell" "neighbours from hell" and so on, while the frauds and widespread looting of the so called "elites" goes vrtually unmentioned, or the waters deliberately confused or muddied.

Edited by Sir John Steed

On the one hand, I'm completely baffled as to why anyone would ever read the Daily Mail -- it's utter crap. But, at the same time, do you honestly believe that the cap on Housing Benefit would have happened if it weren't for all the knee-jerk, Pavlovian, asylum-seekers-housed-in-£2-million-Mayfair-house articles that the Daily Mail has been running for the past couple years? These articles work because they're pointing out the obvious -- everyone and anyone can see how completely stupid some of these policies are.

Wonder how many have holiday homes in the country they came from?

The endless slating of the Daily Mail round here got boring a long time ago.

Yes, we know it's looking for a cheap shot headline. Yes we know it's political leanings. And yes we know not everything you read in it is factually based!

Well guess what... every damn paper in the country has it's bias, and every damn one plays the same games.

Currently I'd say the DM is the least politically correct paper out there, so I guess that's why I like it.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Of course we were being told for years by New Labour this wasn't happening, but we all knew from our own experiences that immigrants were getting priority.

The DM article is basically a rewrite of the ST one though with their unique slant on it. :lol:

Should that not read "in our own imaginations"

Don't know about you, but I spend very little time on council estates, mostly when taking a short cut.

If this statistic is true, I would like to know on what basis these foreigners got council housing. I presume it was via the social services, women, kids desperation route. And there lies the problem.

There is such a scarcity of council housing that normal candidates need not apply. Council housing should be expanded to the point where anyone who wants to rent one should not have to wait more that a matter of months.

And before the howl goes up Council housing IS NOT SUBSIDISED" The Housing Revenue Account (HRA) is ringfenced by law ever since 1935.

Private landlord hovwever are hugely subsidised by taxpayers through benefit payments to both unemployed and low wage claimants who cannot afford their staggering rents.

Edited by Laughing Gnome

We will have to build Tower block again!

Mike

+1

Although they'll probably just end up demolishing 'em up in 20yrs hence.

1.8million on council house waiting list? Nice! Government will have to mandate the building of a sh1t load of houses or enact a law of adopt a family.

Should that not read "in our own imaginations"

Don't know about you, but I spend very little time on council estates, mostly when taking a short cut.

If this statistic is true, I would like to know on what basis these foreigners got council housing. I presume it was via the social services, women, kids desperation route. And there lies the problem.

There is such a scarcity of council housing that normal candidates need not apply. Council housing should be expanded to the point where anyone who wants to rent one should not have to wait more that a matter of months.

And before the howl goes up Council housing IS NOT SUBSIDISED" The Housing Revenue Account (HRA) is ringfenced by law ever since 1935.

Private landlord hovwever are hugely subsidised by taxpayers through benefit payments to both unemployed and low wage claimants who cannot afford their staggering rents.

What a load of ******. Where do you expect the money to come from to massivly expand council housing or social housing. Now that BTL is done, its council and social that has to make up the coming shortfall in housing. And it cannot do it. And are you saying that a BTL landlord is subsidised more than council houses. Who is actually paying to build these council houses for christs sake.

+1

1.8million on council house waiting list? Nice! Government will have to mandate the building of a sh1t load of houses or enact a law of adopt a family.

Wrong. You and me as taxpayers will have to do it. Governments have no money.

Just cos you don't think you're a sheep doesn't mean you are.

+1

I think the problem with tower blocks is they are so visible. In reality, the conditions are no worse crimewise and oppurtunity wise than many a northern sprawling council estate of semis with large plots, but theyre so ugly and visible from the skyline, so draw far more negative attention.

What a load of ******. Where do you expect the money to come from to massivly expand council housing or social housing. Now that BTL is done, its council and social that has to make up the coming shortfall in housing. And it cannot do it. And are you saying that a BTL landlord is subsidised more than council houses. Who is actually paying to build these council houses for christs sake.

Yes, a BTL landlord is massively more subsidised because a private rent is twice a council rent.

The investment moneys. Allow councils to retain right to buy capital and reform the HRA to allow surplus rental income to finance

more building.

The HRA rules have been twisted to prevent councils investing in housing, and that is IMO why we are all in this mess.

The private rent sector has been allowed to run riot with a massive subsidy from taxpayers, to the detriment of private tennants and anyone wanting to buy.

So what if it makes us angry. What is going on is completely wrong, and it is good that the Mail reports it, and it is right that we are outraged.

The problem is that when you get governments interfere in things, then you get a worse outcome. Councils can decide who gets a subsidised house, and that creates a huge unfairness for the people that they dont pick to get one.

The right solution is for councils to sell off ALL their housing stock to the highest bidder, apart from a few emergency flats. Then let people find their own private rented accommodation, after all they have access to housing benefit.

Interesting that there are 1.8 million people waiting. Hardly surprising, the subsidy on council homes is so large, that demand swamps supply. It always does when you make the price of something artificially low. Those who dont get the subsidy have to pay for those that do, which has to be true, as the first law of Government is that they always make things worse.

Also interesting about the 1.8 million is where are they all living exactly? And does that figure include numbers waiting, or numbers plus their dependents.

Come on ComDems, get this right. Get councils to sell off all their housing stock to the highest bidder now, and relieve councils of their need to house all but the really desperate. No bonuses for single mothers, and strangely enough, you wont get so many single mothers.

Over 50 years, my nan has paid rent on her council house. It's about £3500 per year at the minute.She has paid for that house twice over, it is a myth that council houses are subsidised. A lot of the money goes to central government!A lot is squandered on managers.The houses which are subsidised have been bought (stolen from the public for short term gain) with the subsidy know as right to buy!And also the massive subsidy of the private rented sector via housing benefit.

Over 50 years, my nan has paid rent on her council house. It's about £3500 per year at the minute.She has paid for that house twice over, it is a myth that council houses are subsidised. A lot of the money goes to central government!A lot is squandered on managers.The houses which are subsidised have been bought (stolen from the public for short term gain) with the subsidy know as right to buy!And also the massive subsidy of the private rented sector via housing benefit.

So long as the council owns it, arent they responsible for the upkeep?

Your nan might be a good tenant, but a lot of problem families will just trash it, knowing the council have to make it good again or find them somewhere else.

Often the maintainence alone will cost more than £3500 a year.

Just cos you don't think you're a sheep doesn't mean you are.

A sheep is a sheep is a sheep. There is genuine individualism, then there are those who try too hard NOT to be sheep. Defending the indefensible to stand apart. It is the road to schizophrenia.

The money which was stolen from council housing via right to buy, the money that is collected in rents and goes to central government. The massive profits made by 'not for profit' housing associations. Besides, they haven't been building council hoses, they have been selling them off and knocking them. they have restricted the building of new council houses.It's not hard to work out why we have a crisis!You twonk.

IIRC Gillian Duffy even mentioned this to the then prime minister - one G Brown and she was described as a bigot.

Exactly and her town is a very good example. Basically a collapsed former industrial town to be packed with (New Labour) immigrant voters. It was government policy as immigrants are more likely to vote Labour (than Tory or anyone else).

But NL were spreading this lie all over the capital with people thinking WTF? It cut across almost anyone's personal experience! A friend of mine lives in Thamesmead and he had to fight to get council accomodation and finally got it by virtually refusing to move from the Council steps! Not much of a victory as the Council was packing any available accomodation with Somali occupants.

Sorry this might come over as rascist. It isn't mean't to be, but priority should always be given to locals and those with connections to area, not purely on "need" usually in the form of one's ability to breed.