House Price Crash Forum
Confounded

1980's-90's Motivational Expert Goes All Doom Munger With Economic Warning

I've seen this character on TV from time to time. Think evangelical tub thumper without the God element. Nah, in fairness he's better than that. I'll listen to what he's got to say but will take it with pinch of salt. Anyway, when were these comments made? This week? This year?

From a publicity point of view his new caution is a clever tactic in at least two ways:

• He's concerned that in the new austerity his brand of hubris will be seen as old hat, the kind that got us into trouble.
  • He's drawing attention to himself getting people to think "Well, if he's saying that then things must be bad, so lets listen to what else he's got to say."

I've seen this character on TV from time to time. Think evangelical tub thumper without the God element. Nah, in fairness he's better than that. I'll listen to what he's got to say but will take it with pinch of salt. Anyway, when were these comments made? This week? This year?

From a publicity point of view his new caution is a clever tactic in at least two ways:

• He's concerned that in the new austerity his brand of hubris will be seen as old hat, the kind that got us into trouble.

• He's drawing attention to himself getting people to think "Well, if he's saying that then things must be bad, so lets listen to what else he's got to say."

Definitely a bit of that involved in his urgent message. Would have been handy if he had come out with this in 2007 before the SHTF

It is only a few weeks old so pretty up to date.

CD/tape package to follow? I read one of his books "The Giant Within" or something, says a lot of good things, available in books from many authors over the last 70 years or so, but still good stuff and he is quite candid about referencing where the ideas came from. His stuff is still a million times better listening than the morning media brainwash, plug into him as you travel to work, could do worse? I recommend Ben Sweetland, Paul Brunton and others, but Robbins takes you by the scruff of the neck and makes you work out those creative mind muscles with an eye on the practical everyday world of work and money.

I'm not sure about guys like him.

Seems to speak a lot, but without actually saying anything.

So he's now warning us the economic outlook is bad? Wowie :huh:

CD/tape package to follow? I read one of his books "The Giant Within" or something, says a lot of good things, available in books from many authors over the last 70 years or so, but still good stuff and he is quite candid about referencing where the ideas came from. His stuff is still a million times better listening than the morning media brainwash, plug into him as you travel to work, could do worse? I recommend Ben Sweetland, Paul Brunton and others, but Robbins takes you by the scruff of the neck and makes you work out those creative mind muscles with an eye on the practical everyday world of work and money.

The first and last decent self help book was written by Marcus Aurelius. And lets face it, when it came to handling serious stress, fear and real world problems, he has a level of experience nobody in the modern world has, even a 'motivational expert'. When your mate down the pub tells you to keep your chin up, its one thing. When the guy trying to hold the Roman empire together when its being attacked on all sides tells you to get a grip, stay focused and not let the bastards get to you, it carries a little more authority somehow.

Edited by Cogs

Definitely a bit of that involved in his urgent message. Would have been handy if he had come out with this in 2007 before the SHTF

It is only a few weeks old so pretty up to date.

It would be even better if he predicted what would happen in September 2006, like I did:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=34774&view=findpost&p=440379

Posted 02 September 2006

Basicly people have borrowed to much, this is how it might pan out:

- Whilst people still borrow more and more there will be inflation as real money and money loaned with promises compete for assets.

- Eventually there will be a liquidty crisis amoung borrowers because they have promised to pay back more money than is being created.

- The lenders will clamp down on new lending

- There will be a deflation in the assets whose prices have been inflated, such as houses.

- Some of the financial institutions will go bust.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=34774&view=findpost&p=440479

Posted 02 September 2006

It's not really a question of the payments becoming impossible, the prices are increasingly a house of cards, if anything happens, even if enough people get bored of the speculating or repayments the cards fall.

This Robbins guy is not predicting anything of note, he is just repeating stuff he might have read in a newspaper.

Random prediction of the future: It will be a very cold winter again, as cold or colder than last winter, wrap up warm.

This Robbins guy is not predicting anything of note, he is just repeating stuff he might have read in a newspaper.

If by "read in a newspaper" you mean personal conversations with Paul Tudor Jones, then yes, that's all he's doing.

The question is why?

We did this a couple of weeks ago, but no harm in another thread on the subject.

It would be even better if he predicted what would happen in September 2006, like I did:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=34774&view=findpost&p=440379

Posted 02 September 2006

It contains what people have promised to pay in the future in the form of loans to for example Banks. Basicly people have borrowed to much, this is how it might pan out:

- Whilst people still borrow more and more there will be inflation as real money and money loaned with promises compete for assets.

- Eventually there will be a liquidty crisis amoung borrowers because they have promised to pay back more money than is being created.

- The lenders will clamp down on new lending

- There will be a deflation in the assets whose prices have been inflated, such as houses.

- Some of the financial institutions will go bust.

Conclusion:

Cash is King.

People who own assets, even gold, will find them worth a lot less in future.

A lot of people are going to go bust.

and in true guru fashion you say this is what "might" happen. Many make lots of these "might" and "may" prediction only to revive those that were close and ignore the many that fell flat on their face.

the liquidity crisis wasnt amongst borrowers.

way, waaaaaayyy off on gold.

If by "read in a newspaper" you mean personal conversations with Paul Tudor Jones, then yes, that's all he's doing.

The question is why?

We did this a couple of weeks ago, but no harm in another thread on the subject.

Have you a link to the other thread?

Sorry to have dragged it up again, I have been on holiday and have no respect for HPC site search engine so did not check if it had been covered before.

Nice guy: charming, well-groomed but after 8 minutes of waffle I've lost interest. I think he is trying to say that he is a deflationist and that deflation is bad.

Have you a link to the other thread?

Sorry to have dragged it up again, I have been on holiday and have no respect for HPC site search engine so did not check if it had been covered before.

For what it's worth (seems I killed the last thread, which was pretty lightweight admittedly):

link

His 7 points are:

• Unemployment

• Consumer Confidence

• Demand for credit

• Real Estate

• Interest rates at historic lows

• Banks exposed to all of the above

• The Fed has few options left

And then says to get into cash, learn as much as you can, take opportunities when fear is at its highest, make a killing, spend more time with friends and family and generally be ace, like him. If money is any measure of credibility, he's absolutely loaded.

Does that bloke make a living from stating the obvious - over and over and over again?

I have just had his videos playing in the background while I'm working - blow me, it's only half nine and he sent me to sleep.

The first and last decent self help book was written by Marcus Aurelius. And lets face it, when it came to handling serious stress, fear and real world problems, he has a level of experience nobody in the modern world has, even a 'motivational expert'. When your mate down the pub tells you to keep your chin up, its one thing. When the guy trying to hold the Roman empire together when its being attacked on all sides tells you to get a grip, stay focused and not let the bastards get to you, it carries a little more authority somehow.

Agree about Marcus Aurelius. He is even running a stoic agony column over on the History of Rome forum.

http://forumgallorum.freeforums.org/marcus-aurelius-stoic-problem-page-t289.html

I've just watched the Trader (Paul Tudor Jones) video from 1987 again. Classic stuff. Wearing a pair of Bruce Willis' trainers as his lucky shoes. Goes on to make $500M or so in the year.

Memphis drawl, "Goin' to do a little tom-tomming on the market here."

Screaming into the speaker: "Offer 3000 at 70!... Hey listen, Danny?... don't offer that sell 540 at market!... Yeah, March, go!"

"is 40 bid at a half? .... Offer 1500 at a half! Show them some size!"

"Tell 'em there's more behind it! Do it! Do it! Do it!"

Man, he was a wild-man trader back in the day. And I've got the video. B)

For what it's worth (seems I killed the last thread, which was pretty lightweight admittedly):

link

His 7 points are:

• Unemployment

• Consumer Confidence

• Demand for credit

• Real Estate

• Interest rates at historic lows

• Banks exposed to all of the above

• The Fed has few options left

And then says to get into cash, learn as much as you can, take opportunities when fear is at its highest, make a killing, spend more time with friends and family and generally be ace, like him. If money is any measure of credibility, he's absolutely loaded.

Thanks for the link, similar level of scepticism shown as on this thread.

I do not know the guy but if you listen to what he is saying he covers all the key aspects to this crisis as I see them. I started the process of STR in Nov 06 fearful for the mess we had coming towards us so yes giving a warning now is behind the curve but he has a different audience to HPC website.

This is socio-economics in progress with a motivational guru turning doom munger. The shift away from a debt based culture which will have ramification for the rest of our lives.

Will the government fill the debt void by printing into a hyper inflationary collapse, or will the try and create periods of inflation followed by deflation until the imbalances work out over decades, or will we see a deflationary debt spiral, who knows but the World is changing and things like this is just a sign of that.

In my view he produced a lengthy but suitable summary of the challenges we face for his target audience, I don't expect anyone who has already done the research he recommends to take anything new from it.

It reminds me of Paul Whitehouse's perpetually upbeat 'Brillianntttt!' character from the 'Fast Show'. Everything was always 'Brillianttt!!!' until one day they showed him on a bleak coastline, looking with despair at the camera and saying 'everything is brilliant...isn't it...?'

Looks like this chap is just trying to cover his back. What's he telling us that we don't already know? It's as if he's saying 'I know I SAID that the power of positive thinking will overcome everything and make you a gazillionaire and have perfect white teeth and a permatan like me, but, erm, well sometimes, erm, it doesn't always work...'

These kinds of gurus, life coaches or whatever, seem to do well when the economy does well. People have money to burn, so spend it on people like him and think that they have had their lives changed by them, when in reality they succeeded because of irrational economic exuberance.

If he manages to do well in recession as well though, fair play to him.