House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Byron

Personalised Number Plates

What causes apparently rational people to waste lots of money on a personalised number plate?

I just cannot understand it.

What causes apparently rational people to waste lots of money on a personalised number plate?

It's not like you can even have a proper one like they do in the US. They always look sh*t and you end up looking like more of an a*se as a result.

There was a touching programme ?last year about the numberplate "N1GEL".

It focussed on the man who had wanted it and had to settle, several years ago, for "N2GEL".

The owner of N1GEL was a "look at the size of my Lamborghini" type but in meeting him, and analysing why he wanted N1GEL, N2GEL realised that he had been driven his whole life by his parents' belief that to put up an impressive front was more important than anything else.

He realised that was all it was and it had made him unhappy, he stepped away from it and he no longer wanted N1GEL. Nice story.

Anyway the only ones I would consider would be HOV1S or FH 1. Basically do it properly or not at all, FH 2 just shouts "I can't afford FH 1"; and only then if I had money to burn.

Thought this strange myself but a friend tells me that they were big in the 70's when people wanted to hide the fact that their BLING car is in fact quite a few years old!

Mike

While I know its sad I could get my surname followed by my first initial, which has been my nickname for years.

Its about £1500 from the DVLA which is just too much to waste.

But I must sheepishly admit that if it was £500..... I'd probably buy it.

I spent £250 plus £80 transfer for a plate in 1990. Today its valued at £10k. Can you understand that ?

If you come across a Rolls Royce with the number plate CTT 1 please stop and introduce yourself as a member of the HPC Forum. ;)

I could probably manage onto it, but across it? no. Those things are quite wide and I'm not as young as I used to be.

I saw a brilliant one that got past the censors. Only a few people walking past got it, but it suited the car:

MA51 VCK

It doesn't do a bad job of describing the driver either.

I spent £250 plus £80 transfer for a plate in 1990. Today its valued at £10k. Can you understand that ?

:blink:

D8AFT?

I inadvertanlty bought a car with a custom number plate!

After 3 months of ownership, finally "got it"!

By golly you would have to be a real petrolhead to notice that one!

I inadvertanlty bought a car with a custom number plate!

After 3 months of ownership, finally "got it"!

By golly you would have to be a real petrolhead to notice that one!

CAR 1?

CAR 1?

No! It was obscure, like an accident! How I laughed when other people didn't get it, when it only took me 3 months!

I hope the previous owner didn't pay for it!

You are up early Frank! Another 18-wheeler trip to Lithuania with a load of nuclear waste? :huh:

The reason people buy them is very simple.

They want people to believe that they are wealthy enough to spend money on a such a pointless item. Nobody needs one, but the more expensive looking it is, the bigger the impression of wealth you give.

I think people who have them generally understand that other people think they look pretty naff, but that doesn't matter. As long as the message being conveyed is 'naff but clearly has a few quid' the job is done.

Back in the early 70s, my father had a good friend in the car business who phoned him up and said "I've got a car in for scrap with your initials followed by 82....do you want it?". So he got the plate for the cost of a transfer, and a few beers for the chaps at the garage. No point in paying money for these things, but if they come up by chance, why not?

The reason people buy them is very simple.

They want people to believe that they are wealthy enough to spend money on a such a pointless item. Nobody needs one, but the more expensive looking it is, the bigger the impression of wealth you give.

I think people who have them generally understand that other people think they look pretty naff, but that doesn't matter. As long as the message being conveyed is 'naff but clearly has a few quid' the job is done.

I think it's just a desire to be recognised in an increasingly bland world of McDonalds, and Starbucks Mall life!

Still! I bet they will kick themselves for not spending that money on the car instead of the plate! :o

No! It was obscure, like an accident! How I laughed when other people didn't get it, when it only took me 3 months!

I hope the previous owner didn't pay for it!

You are up early Frank! Another 18-wheeler trip to Lithuania with a load of nuclear waste? :huh:

Sssh..

For a history lesson here it was noted in Tacitus that the British chiefs would exchnage a slave for an amphora of wine. How stupid chuckled the Romans.

But if said chieftan throws a party and said wine is flowing like water then, knowing that each amphora cost a whole slave, you would be impressed at the money being thrown about and the sheer wealth of the chieftan that they can do this. You would come away thinking they were rich and powerful and either want their protection or not want to mess with them.

This despite the fact it's just rough red plonk, arbitrarily ascribed a high value.

Tulip mania, house mania, gold mania, number plate mania. Fine until the music stops.

Maybe people buy them cause they aren't miserable ******* like the OP.

Seriously, if you feel the need to understand why someone spends some of their money on a personalised reg you should get out more. ******* me, this forum is full of the most miserable, self righteous pricks ever.

mod edit - swearing removed

The test is: would you sell it??:P