House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Double Defeat For Tories In Local Council By-Elections

After only 4 months since the General Election some voters are now turning. ;)

They have started to turn

Tories crashed to landslide defeats in the latest council by-elections.

Labour's Diane Todd gained at Heath Hayes East and Wimblebury, Cannock Chase District, Staffordshire.

The swing to her party topped 11% since May's council polls which took place on the same day as the general election when Tories had scored a spectacular win in the parliamentary constituency on a 14% switch.

In another blow for Conservatives this week, Liberal Democrat Rosemarie Hollinghurst won a sweeping victory at Aldbury and Wigginton, Dacorum Borough, Hertfordshire.

Labour easily defended a Woodhouse seat at Sheffield despite a big Lib Dem squeeze on the Tory vote. Ukip boosted its vote share to come third ahead of Conservatives.

RESULTS:

Cannock Chase District - Heath Hayes East and Wimblebury: Lab 418, C 238, Lib Dem 153, Ind 30. (May 2010 - C 1149, Lab 1104, Lib Dem 840). Lab gain from C. Swing 11.4% C to Lab.

Dacorum District - Aldbury and Wigginton: Lib Dem 593, C 305, Lab 18. (May 2007 - C 475, Lib Dem 306, Lab 53). Lib Dem gain from C. Swing 25.8% C to Lib Dem.

Redcar and Cleveland Borough - Brotton: Lab 565, Ind 351, Lib Dem 315, C 220, BNP 33. (May 2007 - Three seats Lab 858, 728, 647, Lib Dem 637, 581, C 422, Lib Dem 405, C 365, Ind 280). Lab hold. Swing 3.2% Lib Dem to Lab.

Sheffield City - Woodhouse: Lab 1855, Lib Dem 757, Ukip 491, C 154, BNP 143, Green 83, Ind 58. (May 2010 - Lab 3633, Lib Dem 1693, C 1118, Ukip 739, English Democrats 331, Green 210). Lab hold. Swing 2.9% Lib Dem to Lab.

South Bucks District - Burnham Church: C 459, Ukip 276, Lib Dem 80. (May 2007 - Three seats C 506, 504, 493, Lib Dem 240, 222). C hold. Swing 4.8% Lib Dem to C.

Looks like a turn out of below 30%, that's what you get holding them in holidays. Unlikely to be fully representative of a trend.

I find it hard to believe that there are any Labour votes after what Labour did to the country in the last 12 years.

I find it hard to believe that there are any Labour votes after what Labour did to the country in the last 12 years.

There' a great danger of reading this site and thinking that everyone thinks the same way

It's far, far from representative of what is in the heads of the majority of people. Always worth remembering that there are a lot of people who can put a coherent argument for stuff you really disagree with. It's irritating as ****** but there it is.

It's far, far from representative of what is in the heads of the majority of people.

I know of three people who voted for the Conservatives in the Election last May. Their reasons were Immigration, Benefit Scroungers, and seeing their savings decimated by low interest rates. They all work in the Public Sector and have done so for many years ending up with a PCT. Their jobs are now at risk and suddenly they believe Labour`s Policy of clearing the deficit was the best way forward. So there you have it 3 disenchanted voters returning to the fold. Future By-Election results should be very interesting and myself a political observer will be watching and analysing very carefully.

I know of three people who voted for the Conservatives in the Election last May. Their reasons were Immigration, Benefit Scroungers, and seeing their savings decimated by low interest rates. They all work in the Public Sector and have done so for many years ending up with a PCT. Their jobs are now at risk and suddenly they believe Labour`s Policy of clearing the deficit was the best way forward. So there you have it 3 disenchanted voters returning to the fold. Future By-Election results should be very interesting and myself a political observer will be watching and analysing very carefully.

Then perhaps you would like this site if you don't already know about it

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/

There' a great danger of reading this site and thinking that everyone thinks the same way

It's far, far from representative of what is in the heads of the majority of people. Always worth remembering that there are a lot of people who can put a coherent argument for stuff you really disagree with. It's irritating as ****** but there it is.

I wish they'd give it a fracking go rather than the sophistry; right thing to do, think of the children nonsense that I have to contend with when debating with labour morons.

Its like punching smoke.

Councillors sometimes stand down for many reasons.

Yes! They have been caught! :blink:

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Quite a few are not able to see further than the handouts they got. Haven't got the skills or the interest to work out how much MORE they were paying in stealth taxes, or to see that we were going into HUGE debt to be able to do that. Bit like 2nd mortgaging the house, so you can go on a world cruise/get a 4x4 etc.

There also seems to be a fair number of people who are happy to 'max out' their Credit Cards: They will obviously see no problem with Gorgo maxing out the UK's.mad.gif

I wish they'd give it a fracking go rather than the sophistry; right thing to do, think of the children nonsense that I have to contend with when debating with labour morons.

Its like punching smoke.

It would be pointless on this site; anyone I've ever seen try gets shouted down by the idiot chorus (I don't mean you)

That's what I meant by warning of the dangers of this place. It's very prone to self-reinforcement

Its like punching smoke.

I am certainly FAR more left wing than the average poster on HPC and certainly to the left on New Labour.

What is your problem with the "left"?

Its like punching smoke.

That's the trouble you have to talk to Tory morons to get the right response