House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldilocksporridge

Whats Your Exercise Regime?

3 days per week Boxing Training. (90 mins) - This is tough, and hard going.

Jogging and weights 2 days per week. 50 Mins running, and 40 Mins weights)

The thing about exercising alone - you never push yourself as hard as you can go. Anyway I am looking to push my fitness harder as we move into Autumn and the Winter - as every year - I give up, feel depressed, eat more - and put on weight as we get into the Winter.

Not sure but always seem put on weight very easily - if I am not exercising regulary very hard, or eating less than 1500 cals per day - no weight comes off, or the weight piles on if without exercise or a blowout like xmas.

Anyway - any ideas for assuring superfitness for the winter.

3 days per week Boxing Training. (90 mins) - This is tough, and hard going.

Jogging and weights 2 days per week. 50 Mins running, and 40 Mins weights)

The thing about exercising alone - you never push yourself as hard as you can go. Anyway I am looking to push my fitness harder as we move into Autumn and the Winter - as every year - I give up, feel depressed, eat more - and put on weight as we get into the Winter.

Not sure but always seem put on weight very easily - if I am not exercising regulary very hard, or eating less than 1500 cals per day - no weight comes off, or the weight piles on if without exercise or a blowout like xmas.

Try to get down the gym 4x per week.

Do 4000m rowing and 1/2 hour on the bike, then 45 mins of weights.

Makes me hungry as f**k but doesn't really do anything for the muscles. I probably overtrain, but I do it because I like it, not because I want to look like arnie.

I've been thinking about training up for indoor triathlon cos I hate the idea of swimming in manky water.

1500 calories sounds OK to me. You have to take the daily guidelines with a pinch of jaffa cakes.

Go running with a running club, or get a bike and go cycling with a cycling club. It'll get you out and exercising even on days when you CBA'd, and you'll push yourself hard to keep up

I walk for between 7 and 10 hours a week.

Not the fittest person ever, can't run the length of myself, and would like to improve my fitness but would probably need to pay for some sort of personal trainer if I started lifting weights in case I wrecked myself through bad form.

However the amount I walk, combined with the lack of junk food in my diet, keeps me very slim - there are alot of people in my office that eat lots of junk food and get no exercise at all - not even a walk at lunch. Just sat at the computer all day long.

I use the bike every other day. Around 10 miles each time.

Exercise is overrated. We have not historically been as active as the so-called health experts tell us. We may not have even hunted much at all but been scavengers instead. Besides, meat was never a huge part of our diet. Fruit was.

Exercise is way overrated.

Exercise is overrated. We have not historically been as active as the so-called health experts tell us. We may not have even hunted much at all but been scavengers instead. Besides, meat was never a huge part of our diet. Fruit was.

I agree for trying to lose weight - exercise is overated. It mostly diet, for fatties they are better controlling what they eat, and exercising gently.

But for looking better, feeling younger, and self confidence exercise is good

Exercise is overrated. We have not historically been as active as the so-called health experts tell us. We may not have even hunted much at all but been scavengers instead. Besides, meat was never a huge part of our diet. Fruit was.Exercise is way overrated.

Have you ever checked how much wild fruit is available in the winter?. Zero. Early man was 90% plus carnivore. Europe (we were joined to it 15,000 years ago) has been described as a vast game rerserve with scattered small groups of hunter gatherer humans.

Gym at lunch anywhere between none and 5 times a week, usually 3 on average. Probably about 60% weights 40% cardio, but it depends on my mood. Squash to a reasonable standard a couple of times a month (more in winter) and walk to and from the station every day, just over a mile each way. Bit of walking in the countryside, did 4 miles carrying a 9 month old baby in baby bjorn thing yesterday, much harder work than a 10kg rucksuck, but then I did sink two pints of harvey (see beer thread) before I set off.

Have you ever checked how much wild fruit is available in the winter?. Zero. Early man was 90% plus carnivore. Europe (we were joined to it 15,000 years ago) has been described as a vast game rerserve with scattered small groups of hunter gatherer humans.

You're talking about a single region of the Earth where man adapted. Many is highly adaptable.

But his body was made for fruit and not meat. And I also believe that he did not need to do regular cardio to live a long and healthy life.

btw what do you suppose animals that eat 95% fruit do in the winter? Do they turn to a 90% carniverous diet? I very much doubt it.

I walk over 80 miles a week, restrict calories mon-fri, and use weights on a Sunday.

Certainly works for me.

I may want to bulk up in the future though. I'll have to carefully plan it because I want any extra calories going to muscle not fat. Advice is welcome.

Incidentally, I think the recommended daily calorie intakes for men & women are way over the top. Everyone is different, but even so. For a sedentary person I'd estimate a way lower intake is suitable.

I keep super fit by going to work 5 days a week includng some evenings, tending to the garden, general maintenance around the house and looking after my wife and daughter. Even if I had time for excercise I wouldn't need to.

You should read The Joy of Laziness

The theory behind it is that we only have so much 'life energy' and speeding up our metabolism by over exercising or over eating will lead to an early death. Stuff about how mice on a calorie restricted diet live longer, how athletes get more illnesses etc. Sounds plausible to me and sort of ties in with a theory I have that stress is the most underestimated cause of death in the world today.

3 * 1/2 hour walks = 1.5

3 * 1 hour walks = 3

1 * 2 hour walk = 2

6.5 hours or just under an hour a day

Not enough really, I am winding it up.

Incidentally, I think the recommended daily calorie intakes for men & women are way over the top. Everyone is different, but even so. For a sedentary person I'd estimate a way lower intake is suitable.

I agree. 2,500 for a man is bullsh1t. I can maintain my current weight (I am not bang in the middle) on 1,500 calories a day, often less.

I believe that there is a wide band where you can maintain a normal weight. We should be encouraging people to eat as little as possible.

You should read The Joy of Laziness

The theory behind it is that we only have so much 'life energy' and speeding up our metabolism by over exercising or over eating will lead to an early death. Stuff about how mice on a calorie restricted diet live longer, how athletes get more illnesses etc. Sounds plausible to me and sort of ties in with a theory I have that stress is the most underestimated cause of death in the world today.

Thanks I will check that out.

Modern life is too hectic. People say they are "busy" and not even talking about their work life, they refer to their personal life. Why should it be "busy"? I don't see any "busy" animals.

Your post reminds me of the theory, is it Buddhist maybe? That says your life is measured in number of breaths. Maybe it's too simplistic but I can definitely see the merit of it. Although we may be aligned to the cycles of the sun and moon etc., our use of time to measure life is definitely wrong IMO.

swimming is the best exercise by miles

it uses all your body muscles and the water

limits the damage that say running does to your knees

as for the fruit debate

i worked in New Covent garden years ago

and could eat as much fruit as I wanted

dont think I was ever so healthy as then

swimming is the best exercise by miles

it uses all your body muscles and the water

limits the damage that say running does to your knees

as for the fruit debate

i worked in New Covent garden years ago

and could eat as much fruit as I wanted

dont think I was ever so healthy as then

I would say the best exercise regime is more varied than that, and also there are plenty of muscles that swimming doesn't use.

I do three heavy weights sessions per week. At the moment:

- 4 sets of pull-ups (from a hanging grip rather than only moving a few inches as you see some people doing)

- 6 sets of flat Smith bench (currently start off around 85kg before dropping to around 75kg to keep reps in the 6-8 range, since you asked)

- 4 sets of legpress (can't do squats due to back injury)

- 2 super sets of leg curl and hamstring curls

- 2 sets of bent over dumbell row

- 2 sets of calf press

- 2 supersets of shoulder/bi/tri exerices

I change this up every 3-6 months but always have a balanced program targetting the major muscle groups (6 sets each for legs, back, chest) equally, and finishing off with minor muscle groups (2 sets each for calves, shoulders, bis, tris).

If I've put on a few pounds I'll do ten to fifteen minutes of cardio after all this for a while, or alternatively throw in an hour's cardio session at some point or go on a 15 mile walk.

I find I can get away with the odd weekend splurge as I stick to <2000cals during the week, and I've been around 185lbs for as long as I can remember. I did a couple of bulking seasons a few years ago and have got to a size that is larger than 99% of blokes but I don't want to get any bigger or have to lose the fat you usually gain from the bulking phase.

I walk around an hour a day but never really track this. Other exercise is the odd 2 or 3 hour session of pool or snooker, which I find tends to tire me out more than the gym does (probably because of the mental concentration also required).

I keep my protein intake at a decently high level at ~150g and aim for 5 fruit and veg. Apart from that and making sure I get enough fish oil, I don't have any dietary constraints so eat what I want.

arms ,legs stomach, neck and chest

4 different types of stroke

seems pretty comprehensive to me

of course if you want to end up lookin like Arnie

then pump iron

if your aim is to be fit and supple then I'd advise swimming 1st

who is fitter ?

a marathon runner or a sprinter ?

different types of fitness for different bodies

there is no definitive

arms ,legs stomach, neck and chest

4 different types of stroke

seems pretty comprehensive to me

of course if you want to end up lookin like Arnie

then pump iron

if your aim is to be fit and supple then I'd advise swimming 1st

who is fitter ?

a marathon runner or a sprinter ?

different types of fitness for different bodies

there is no definitive

A sprinter is fitter than a marathon runner. Look at the body types, a sprinter looks at the peak of physical fitness whereas the marathon runner is just skin and bone.

Of course, a sprinter also has to pump iron to maximise his speed, but doesn't end up "looking like Arnie" - which is impossible for 99.9% of the population.

I'm not saying swimming is rubbish, it's very good, but it's not a complete exercise, and the resistance you get from the water is not able to be increased soyou don't get the natural progression you do with weights.

Gym 3 times a week, running and maybe some pressups and the plank if I'm just at home.

I've thought about changing my regime though. Instead of being a gym member all year round I might cancel/freeze my membership from about May-Sept and just do outdoorsy stuff like running and cycling or a bit of swimming.

The most difficult thing about training is keeping it fresh, I don't want to be doing the same thing week in week out.

Sprint occasionally, lift heavy things regularly, play a lot, do little work that doesn't aid the mind, eat lots of vegetables and meat, fruit as a treat, no grains, legumes, alcohol etc

A sprinter is fitter than a marathon runner. Look at the body types, a sprinter looks at the peak of physical fitness whereas the marathon runner is just skin and bone.

Of course, a sprinter also has to pump iron to maximise his speed, but doesn't end up "looking like Arnie" - which is impossible for 99.9% of the population.

I'm not saying swimming is rubbish, it's very good, but it's not a complete exercise, and the resistance you get from the water is not able to be increased soyou don't get the natural progression you do with weights.

This is a layman's argument.

A marathon runner has immense cardiovascular fitness. Who's to say they need more muscle mass anyway? They have enough to support their basic bodily functions.

A sprinter has immense strength but this does not necessarily translate to fitness.

I think that swimming is a great exercise. Why would you need the progression? Only if you want to bulk up.