House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
yopino

Hmrc Smokescreen

Anyone has ever came across this post response from HMRC?

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/27088/response/70484/attach/html/3/1050%2010%20response%20letter.pdf.html

What on earth does that mean? We'll tell you when we catch you? We can not tell you whether or not you will have to pay VAT because otherwise you may not. I am not Brittish so maybe it is all due to my upbringing but that seems to me a bit totalitarian. How am I supposed to believe in a fair taxation if the taxation is so secret that I do not even know how to apply it correctly...

Weird...

Anyone has ever came across this post response from HMRC?

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/27088/response/70484/attach/html/3/1050%2010%20response%20letter.pdf.html

What on earth does that mean? We'll tell you when we catch you? We can not tell you whether or not you will have to pay VAT because otherwise you may not. I am not Brittish so maybe it is all due to my upbringing but that seems to me a bit totalitarian. How am I supposed to believe in a fair taxation if the taxation is so secret that I do not even know how to apply it correctly...

Weird...

The HMRC response says (paraphrased) "in response to your question on what are the rules on whether VAT may be due - we're not giving you the intricate details because there are loopholes and we're not going to tell you what the loopholes are, in response to your question on the duties and taxes due on various types of bullion coin... 0% duty, 17.5% VAT"

Seems they answered the questions well to me.

The HMRC response says (paraphrased) "in response to your question on what are the rules on whether VAT may be due - we're not giving you the intricate details because there are loopholes and we're not going to tell you what the loopholes are, in response to your question on the duties and taxes due on various types of bullion coin... 0% duty, 17.5% VAT"

Seems they answered the questions well to me.

next it says:

Silver & Gold coins (legal tender)

7118900090 duty rate 0% VAT Exempt or 17.5%

not too clear for me.