House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

The Term 'genius' Is Thrown Around Very Loosely These Days

Good at maths ay? Why didn't they print his numbers? Also, when did being good at maths mean you were qualified to make life altering socio-economic decisions? The title should have been ' Clever But Immature Boy Says "World Peace" '

And they reckon you need a degree in journalism to write this stuff. I could crack out a better article whilst having a *****.

Good at maths ay? Why didn't they print his numbers? Also, when did being good at maths mean you were qualified to make life altering socio-economic decisions? The title should have been ' Clever But Immature Boy Says "World Peace" '

And they reckon you need a degree in journalism to write this stuff. I could crack out a better article whilst having a *****.

Havent read the Article, but in response to the above post:::

Like us all here, he may be good at seeing the true picture...but in Political terms, he is what the Americans call a "Boy Scout"....ie, good intentions, but missing the real game.

GCSE are so easy a 7 year old could pass them.

I downloaded some mock exams recently, one question was what is a 6 side shape called. An other showed a graph of lottery winners, showing prize size on one axis and number of people who won that prize on the other. One question was, how many people won £20? All you had to do was trace your finger along the graph.

I feel kinda sorry for kids really, but also glad that they will never be as good as me with this sort of education. :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1307103/Meet-Treasurys-new-junior-adviser--Oscar-aged-7.html

The trite nonsense he comes out with is hardly worth of the fanfare. His faux precociousness smacks of desperate tutoring by parents living vicariously.

Does your bitterness and jealousy keep you warm at night?

He's a 7 year old kid ffs, he aced an exam plenty of people fail at 16 and beyond. His appearing in the daily mail (a paper I am sure you don't buy) does you no harm and gives this talented child a little recognition. It's not like he's been given the Nobel prize.

Now crawl back under your little rock of hatred to trawl for more stories of children you can chuck mud at anonymously on the internet.

Does your bitterness and jealousy keep you warm at night?

He's a 7 year old kid ffs, he aced an exam plenty of people fail at 16 and beyond. His appearing in the daily mail (a paper I am sure you don't buy) does you no harm and gives this talented child a little recognition. It's not like he's been given the Nobel prize.

Now crawl back under your little rock of hatred to trawl for more stories of children you can chuck mud at anonymously on the internet.

Hello Mr Selby.

I hope you all have a nice weekend basking in the warm glow.

Is little Oscar at his tutor over in Sainsbury's this morning, while you and Mrs S tap away at the computer - bewildered that not everyone else is as awestruck by little Tarquin's "genius" as you are?! :rolleyes::lol:

B

Hello Mr Selby.

I hope you all have a nice weekend basking in the warm glow.

Is little Oscar at his tutor over in Sainsbury's this morning, while you and Mrs S tap away at the computer - bewildered that not everyone else is as awestruck by little Tarquin's "genius" as you are?! :rolleyes::lol:

B

Why are you addressing my father?

Regards,

Oscar.

***WARNING***

Toxic parent alert - step away from the kid before you completely phuq him up...

+1000

Alternatively, for all those parents who really hate their kids, can't stand them eating into their precious golf / gym / "me me me me me" time at the weekend, and think five days of cooped-up misery a week is nothing like enough, follow the link below, for the portal to parenting heaven...

http://www.explorele...ge=32&region=-1

FFS :blink:

I downloaded some mock exams recently, one question was what is a 6 side shape called. An other showed a graph of lottery winners, showing prize size on one axis and number of people who won that prize on the other. One question was, how many people won £20? All you had to do was trace your finger along the graph.

I feel kinda sorry for kids really, but also glad that they will never be as good as me with this sort of education. :)

Overheard on the bus one day when the bike was in the shop.

"I don't think I did well on the exam, I mean it was solid."

"Yeah like I mean we had to work out the area of a triangle."

"I couldn't do that one, I couldn't do the one about the area of a circle either."

20 years later I can still remember how to work these things out ;/

I feel kinda sorry for kids really, but also glad that they will never be as good as me with this sort of education. smile.gif

The 'Foundation Tier' GCSE is nothing more than a test of simple arithmetic.

+1000

Alternatively, for all those parents who really hate their kids, can't stand them eating into their precious golf / gym / "me me me me me" time at the weekend, and think five days of cooped-up misery a week is nothing like enough, follow the link below, for the portal to parenting heaven...

http://www.explorele...ge=32&region=-1

FFS :blink:

Rather tutor them myself, plus you get some real quality time together as the young 'un grapples to derive calculus from first principles. Seriously though, friend of mine at school lived in Saudi Arabia until aged 7, went to school in the morning and his father (an eminent electrical engineer) taught him maths and engineering in the afternoon. He got an A in A level maths at age 7 in 1985. His father put him forward for the A-Level to force his junior school to do something with him other than calculate how much change you get from a £1 note when you buy some persil and a pack of crisps (what the rest of us 7 year olds were doing at the time). School still couldn't do anything with him and he ended up with drug convictions and all sorts by the age if 15. Fortunately narrowly avoided jail and now an eminent elictral engineer like his old man.

Save your money and let Oscar play with his friends in the park.

Genius is anyone in the top 2% of the population inteligence (IQ) wise.

Who are you calling a genius? :angry: That definition really devalues the term, applying it to huge numbers of us!

IQ rates problem solving ability rather than ability to remember facts.

Yep. Good for maths and logic, somewhat good for science and engineering, useless for deeply illogical disciplines common in the humanities, and a positive liability for politics or law.

Edited by porca misèria