House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Government Confirms Plan To Scrap Nhs Direct Helpline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11120853

The government has confirmed it is planning to scrap the NHS Direct telephone service in England and replace it with a cheaper option.

A new 1-1-1 helpline is already being piloted in the North East.

It was previously reported that the new service may replace NHS Direct, but now the Department of Health has confirmed it will definitely do so.

The move comes as the government curtails public spending, even though it has promised to protect the NHS.

Health Secretary Andrew Lansley apparently made a slip when he announced the plan during a hospital visit on Wednesday.

In June GPs urged the government to get rid of the service claiming it is not cost effective.

The move has provoked an angry reaction from the Labour Party, with shadow health secretary Andy Burnham using it a evidence of government plans to "dismantle" the NHS.

He said: "The health secretary's statement will stun people across the NHS.

"It is yet more evidence that Andrew Lansley is on a vindictive mission to break up the NHS, ruthlessly dismantling services before alternatives are in place."

Whenever we've used it we've found the service to be utter crap. You tell them the symptoms, get some waffle and then we'll get a nurse etc... to ring you back in 2 hours. 3 hours later your still waiting for a phone call.

The drop in centres at the local hospitals are far better.

Anyone know what the yearly cost of running NHS Direct is and what is it's top boss on?

100% agreement. Waste of time and money. Tried using it 3 times and was always told to go and see a GP. I imagine The Guardian will have a mini-stroke about this, but I think hardly anyone will notice it being scrapped.

they could replace it with an answerphone message.

"If you are a mum with a kiddy with sore throat....see your GP.

If you are feeling ill...make an appointment with your GP.

If you are really ill..ring your GP.

If you are really really ill....either...ring your GP or dial 999.

You know thats what you are gonno do, so stop wasting our time and go ahead and do it.

For Nulab voters, you might be interested in our "double your braincells with flouride" campaign."

For Nulab voters, you might be interested in our "double your braincells with flouride" campaign."

...yes it is a chocolate fireguard ...sort of campaign Burnham would take up...... :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11120853

Whenever we've used it we've found the service to be utter crap. You tell them the symptoms, get some waffle and then we'll get a nurse etc... to ring you back in 2 hours. 3 hours later your still waiting for a phone call.

The drop in centres at the local hospitals are far better.

Anyone know what the yearly cost of running NHS Direct is and what is it's top boss on?

Agree entirely - every time we've called them we've been advised to see our GP or go to A&E. Utterly pointless and a total, literal and dangerous waste of time when we had a meningitis scare with our youngest. Glad to see them gone.

Andy Burnham was quite rabid about it on Sky earlier - completely missed the point: they serve no purpose and waste millions.

Edited by The Dragon

Had a friend who had to hold the phone near her kid so the doctor could listen to her breathing.

What did we do in the old days?

We didn't have walk in centres or nhs direct... we had house calls from our GPs. And because you had to be pretty ill to need one you'd not ring up for a home visit - just an appointment.

How long do you wait for an appointment? Couple of days? Or do you ring up and get told all appointments are gone and could you ring back the next day?

Had a friend who had to hold the phone near her kid so the doctor could listen to her breathing.

What did we do in the old days?

We didn't have walk in centres or nhs direct... we had house calls from our GPs. And because you had to be pretty ill to need one you'd not ring up for a home visit - just an appointment.

How long do you wait for an appointment? Couple of days? Or do you ring up and get told all appointments are gone and could you ring back the next day?

We probably only went to the Dr's when it was really neccesary...

Waste of money.....the costs are well in excess of any benefit gained.

1. phone a friend.

2. pop into the chemist and speak to a pharmacist....or call them.

3. google the ailment...maybe not.

4. if all else fails.....make an appointment to talk to your GP.

edit: of

Edited by winkie

100% agreement. Waste of time and money. Tried using it 3 times and was always told to go and see a GP. I imagine The Guardian will have a mini-stroke about this, but I think hardly anyone will notice it being scrapped.

How many people who would of not gone to see a doctor, but would pick-up the phone and speak to someone at NHS direct and then gone to see their GP for a check-up or treatment.

How many people who had been feeling ill, ie. chest pains, and not wanting to go to the fuss or cause any bother, however they speak to a nurse on the telephone which results in an ambulance being called and their life being saved.

Try to speak to a G.P. on the telephone and what do you do out of hours?

I.M.O. of 11 years of New Labour, NHS direct is one of the few good things done.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

Waste of money.....the costs are well in excess of any benefit gained.

1. phone a friend.

2. pop into the chemist and speak to a pharmacist....or call them.

3. google the ailment...maybe not.

4. if all else fails.....make an appointment to talk to your GP.

edit: of

Many of the elderly don't have those options and can be inclinded not to cause a fuss for something they think might be minor, but could be very serious. Delay in getting information and help can be deadly.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

How many people who would of not gone to see a doctor, but would pick-up the phone and speak to someone at NHS direct and then gone to see their GP for a check-up or treatment.

How many people who had been feeling ill, ie. chest pains, and not wanting to go to the fuss or cause any bother, however they speak to a nurse on the telephone which results in an ambulance being called and their life being saved.

Try to speak to a G.P. on the telephone and what do you do out of hours?

I.M.O. of 11 years of New Labour, NHS direct is one of the few good things done.

what was the number for NHS direct?

dont look it up on the internet.....

I've found NHS Direct much more responsive than my GP. I expect there's an element of what they call "postcard lottery" about it.

I'll reserve judgement on what they're replacing it with until we have some details.

There is a major problem with people taking up GPs' time with minor ailments. There is equally a problem with genuinely ill people being unable to get a quick appointment with the GP or a surgery nurse. Unfortunately the well-intentioned NHS Direct scheme has not solved either of these problems. Andy Burnham's response to this is truly infantile. I sincerely hope he becomes the next leader of the Labour Party.

what was the number for NHS direct?

dont look it up on the internet.....

No idea, but what does that prove? The only numbers I've memorised are my parents, my girlfriend and my own work and mobile numbers.

Something like NHS Direct - that i think i've used twice ever - i'm pretty sure i could look up if i needed to.

However, it's a nice idea in theory, but not sure it worked very well in practice - diagnosis is too tricky to do over the phone.

No idea, but what does that prove? The only numbers I've memorised are my parents, my girlfriend and my own work and mobile numbers.

Something like NHS Direct - that i think i've used twice ever - i'm pretty sure i could look up if i needed to.

However, it's a nice idea in theory, but not sure it worked very well in practice - diagnosis is too tricky to do over the phone.

It was my response to a point about people a bit out of touch, a bit shy, and getting benefit.

Doctors diagnose....if we could use a database to replace doctors then we could use NHS direct.

The website was Ok and gave an indication on what to do....but really, my mum had the "Dairy Book of Home Management"...it had every thing about anything there for a new homester who needed to know things.

Didnt cost the government a penny...indeed, there are many home management books that deal with this.

The main reason the NHS helpline existed was:

To dissaude people from attending Accident and Emergency.

The main reason the NHS helpline existed was:

To dissaude people from attending Accident and Emergency.

So it will probably end up costing more once everyone goes to A&E to see a Consultant about their verucca

So it will probably end up costing more once everyone goes to A&E to see a Consultant about their verucca

not if they have a sign outside saying fck off back home with your runny nose ya muppet!

God knowsa how the UK managed to win 2 world wars, i dont think i took more than 2 days off when i had cholera

not if they have a sign outside saying fck off back home with your runny nose ya muppet!

You've obviously never been in absolute raging agony, and kept calling them, only to be told repeatedly:

"Mmmm, Computer ses no."

And then continued calling them all night, only to be told repeatedly to stay away.

[Resulting in getting taxi to GP's at 5am, and sitting outside until they open.]:rolleyes:

Whereupon GP tells you, you should have gone to the hospital.

Edited by Dan1

08454 45 45 45 if I'm not mistaken.

Used it recently and it was a lifesaver (though not literally in this particular case)

had to look it up it's 0845 46 47 I thought the number you had quoted was the cones hotline number

Dr Google is your friend. I usually just Google the ailment and end up knowing there are at least ten more things wrong with me