House Price Crash Forum

Blairs Buy £1M London Townhouse In Cash For Their Daughter, 22

HOLA441

Cherie Blair has paid almost £1million in cash for a house for her daughter.

The three-bedroom maisonette in a Georgian townhouse in central London becomes the eighth home in the Blairs' seemingly ever-expanding portfolio.

It was bought mortgage-free in the names of Mrs Blair and her 22-year-old daughter Kathryn, Land Registry documents show.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306879/Blairs-buy-1m-London-townhouse-cash-daughter-22.html#ixzz0xrWs7Tsd

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I guess I will never understand why anyone would pay cash for a house. It just doesn't makes sense.

Cash looks just the same, no matter how bent it is! ;)

HOLA443

Still its beter to keep it for other things and let the banks do the house buying bit without the need for cash changing hands.

I'm pretty sure Ton'y's wallet is fatter than mine.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Still its beter to keep it for other things and let the banks do the house buying bit without the need for cash changing hands.

It doesn't mean they walked in with a suitcase of physical money. Just that they bought it without a mortgage.

(Unless you know that and I missed the joke!)

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Good move IMO.

Time is coming where a roof over t' head is better than a gamble on stocks, metals, bonds or any other investment that can drop in value on the slightest sign of panic.

IMO, we are moving into a few months of financial hell with another round of sell-offs in anything* that has risen substantially in price over the course of the last 2 years.

*Including you-know-what.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA449

The only time that you should buy a house with money is if you are at the end of your earning life cycle. Otherwise it is bets that you minimise the deposit and get a house on a mortgage that way you are combating inflation. Your cash is always better kept for better things than a hose paying a house down is not a wealth building strategy.

Better kept for what exactly? Im earning a wage so have money coming in. If i have payed down for my house then all my wages are mine. If i have a mortgage then i have the money in the bank but i have to pay the mortgage out of my wages.

In my mind things are always better paid for. Always. If for no other reason than peace of mind. Someone who has a mortgage must worry more about sickness/injury than someone with no debt?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
You need to look at it in terms of return on cash invested against return on that investment which is known an\a a cash on cash (COC) return. When you do this with housing the less you pit into the deal the higher your COC.

Depends on the size of your portfolio, and indeed, whether your objective is wealth generation, or peace of mind.

I bought with no debt. I could have taken out a whopping loan and bought with that, but I would have to be certain that the yield I was getting on my invested stash was greater than the 4% the loan would cost me, + the risk premium of my investments going tits up. I couldn't make this stack up, so I plonked the cash down. Increasing exposure to risk was not in my interests - I have plenty of exposure to this already.

So I am completely debt free, if I was fired tomorrow, I could last probably 5 years, and I'm happy!

If you look at it from the Blair's POV, then assuming they survive 7 years, they've also avoided 40% IHT - no brainer really.

Edited by rxe

HOLA4412

Good move IMO.

Time is coming where a roof over t' head is better than a gamble on stocks, metals, bonds or any other investment that can drop in value on the slightest sign of panic.

IMO, we are moving into a few months of financial hell with another round of sell-offs in anything* that has risen substantially in price over the course of the last 2 years.

Cash is no longer king?

HOLA4413

You need to look at it in terms of return on cash invested against return on that investment which is known an\a a cash on cash (COC) return. When you do this with housing the less you pit into the deal the higher your COC.

I'm pretty puzzled by this. Can you explain it a bit further?

Say I can afford to pay for my house in cash. This means I won't have to pay interest and will save (while I earn from my employment) roughly the value of the house over the lifetime of the mortgage.If I borrowed the money and invested my cash, I'd need a return on that cash of around 100% over the lifetime of the mortgage. If there is no asset price inflation, how is this return on the invested cash achievable? Low interest rates means it's useless in a bank and the stock market returns aren't exactly secure. Maybe if inflation is rocketing and my wages are increasing, the mortgage would be sensible, otherwise I can't see the logic.

Furthermore, the lack of cash means that I can always get unemployment benefit if I become unemployed.

HOLA4414

it makes a lot of sense to buy a house with a mortgage.

buying it with credit cards is lunacy (but I know someone who got their £40k deposit this way :blink: )

Maybe, with a portfolio of 8 properties, the Blair's MEW'd on a mortgage charging +/- BOE base rate and ploughed it into this million pound place.

The current best variable rates are around 2%+base rate - making a saving of maybe £20k a year on 1 million pounds invested in property.

HOLA4415

I was brought up similar to you with respect to debt, with all the good intentions, but that was wrong I have broke the mould and thankfully have not perpetuated it with with my children.

A friend of mine shares your attitude. He alternates between being a multimillionaire (many tens of millions) and being bankrupt. Haven't seen him for a couple of years so I don't know which he is currently.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Jeez your idea of a friend and mine are orders of magnitude divided. There is no way I would be guessing on the welfare of a friend afte rsuch a length of time.

I guess the term friend is not definable around here.

I have many friends that I don't see for ages. You don't have to see someone every day to remain a friend.

He's either my rich friend or my poor friend, makes no difference to me.

HOLA4418

The only time that you should buy a house with money is if you are at the end of your earning life cycle. Otherwise it is bets that you minimise the deposit and get a house on a mortgage that way you are combating inflation. Your cash is always better kept for better things than a hose paying a house down is not a wealth building strategy.

Maybe slick Tone is sub prime and can't get a mortgage. Anyway the "elites" are still buying houses. Should tell us something I suppose.

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA4419

Okay then to conclude your point can you give him a buzz if he still has phone and tell us whether he is a multi or a bankrupt, I will accept what you report in this regard.

Why, do you want to borrow some money off him?

I detect some scepticism in your reply. What I've said is absolutely accurate, if you don't want to believe it, that's up to you. However, when I next see him, the first thing I will ask is whether he's a millionaire or bust, it's a standing joke.

HOLA4420

Well if he is in the lending way I would away like to discuss terms.

Far from me to doubt your sincerity with this muti. I guess that the ones that I knew I am are far closer to.

Either way I eagerly hope your colleague confirms his continued multi status with you when you next speak to him and you take the time to post this fact.

:rolleyes:

HOLA4421

I guess I will never understand why anyone would pay cash for a house. It just doesn't makes sense.

The reason why some "anyones" pay cash is because they are cash rich but have zero income (apart from that generated by the cash).

Getting a mortgage in those circumstances can be impossible.

tim

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Good move IMO.

A gamble on metals??

You really don't get it RB!

Edited by spp

HOLA4424

I was brought up similar to you with respect to debt, with all the good intentions, but that was wrong I have broke the mould and thankfully have not perpetuated it with with my children.

Regardless of that, if I won the Euromillions last night (not checked the ticket yet so who knows) I would pay cash for a house (I would not need to spend a million though) and stop worrying about it.

HOLA4425

Shouldn't the strapline be: "War Criminal Buys Another House with Blood Money?"

I take the opportunity to repost an earlier comment about this repugnant lizard of a man:

"...a genuinely unpleasant person, selfish and borderline psychotic, a murderer, a conman, spiritually rotten, a soulless modern day vampire gorging off the blood of the innocent...utterly lacking in conscience and compassion, an empty void filled only with greed, self interest and ambition. A creature of the devil, a reincarnation of evil."