House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldilocksporridge

I Hate People With No Opinions On Anything

One of the things I like about HPC - is the diverse range of opinions on everything - wether its good or bad

But more and more - there is so much blandness in people - no political opinions on anything(fair enough I can understand that), no opinions on anything at work, everything is an exercise in fitting and keeping your down, no interesting discussions on anything remotely interesting, always tedious small talk that can't offend anyone, no real hobbies or interests outside work, they always seem enjoy bland dull activities like walking, there is no fire or competitiveness in them.

I just find myself avoiding conversations with most people - as it will just go into difficult small talk.

One of the things I like about HPC - is the diverse range of opinions on everything - wether its good or bad

But more and more - there is so much blandness in people - no political opinions on anything(fair enough I can understand that), no opinions on anything at work, everything is an exercise in fitting and keeping your down, no interesting discussions on anything remotely interesting, always tedious small talk that can't offend anyone, no real hobbies or interests outside work, they always seem enjoy bland dull activities like walking, there is no fire or competitiveness in them.

I just find myself avoiding conversations with most people - as it will just go into difficult small talk.

Not trying to be a critic here, and I somewhat agree with what you've written but you seem to start a lot of posts like this. Don't stop on my account but do you just need to go out for a few ales and clear the cobwebs? You seem pretty miserable.

Not trying to be a critic here, and I somewhat agree with what you've written but you seem to start a lot of posts like this. Don't stop on my account but do you just need to go out for a few ales and clear the cobwebs? You seem pretty miserable.

yeah your right - need to get out a bit more.

People suck. You will find in life that the people who's company you enjoy will not stay for long enough, and those who you cannot stand will never leave. I think Ive misquoted a saying there. :unsure:

Nowt wrong with walking - and hill walking can be pretty challenging (especially if you're in the Labour party)!...but presume you're a young man? You need to get out there - find some sort of sport you want to do, find a club; stewing in your own resentment is going to be a waste of life. Don't judge others for what they enjoy, it's a waste of energy and emotion, just find something you want to do and get on with it..

People suck. You will find in life that the people who's company you enjoy will not stay for long enough, and those who you cannot stand will never leave. I think Ive misquoted a saying there. :unsure:

Bloody hell JS you are one miserable ****. People come, people go. It's up to you to make the effort and retain the quality ones.

I think this is the stage before you get rich, understanding the stupidity of people. Nothing personal BTW.

Reminds me of when I was working in offices in the UK my 20s. I teach English in Seoul now I've met some great expat friends over here real people, although the Koreans I work with are all pretty 2 dimensional. I think when people are living abroad they are more open, with less to prove.

Do you have kids or a mortgage? Why stay there? Take your self out of the situation. Don't waste your life doing anything if your unhappy. Life is too short.

I think this is the stage before you get rich, understanding the stupidity of people. Nothing personal BTW.

Sorry I don't get it, who is stupid and who is getting rich?

You have to go out and find like minded sorts, join clubs which follow your interests, the random folk you meet day to day are mostly brain dead.

I'm not really sure if I agree with you or not.

As for walking being a "dull" activity, it is only dull if you have no interest in your surroundings.

That sounds remarkably similar to the kind of apathy which the OP finds so irritating in other people...

+1

That's a poor indictment isn't it, but I bet those you refer to don't go much beyond the beeb for their news and views.

Talking to someone with a view point, even from reading the beeb or the daily mail would be start - I am talking about people who spend their day in an office, and then watch crap tv like x factor and pop idol - there is nothing from them, no thoughts on anything - just pointless drones.

Often see it from who are well qualifed, even quite bright, you can see there is a brain there - but they often play dumb just to fit in.

Talking to someone with a view point, even from reading the beeb or the daily mail would be start - I am talking about people who spend their day in an office, and then watch crap tv like x factor and pop idol - there is nothing from them, no thoughts on anything - just pointless drones.

Often see it from who are well qualifed, even quite bright, you can see there is a brain there - but they often play dumb just to fit in.

I spoke to someone whose an avid soap watcher...when I said "god, this is a pointless waste of drivel"...they eagerly pointed out "it's escapism"..and "don't you like anything?"

I think it's more a case of not wanting to discuss some issues rather than not having an opinion. I think most people are fundamentally unhappy with their lives and seek a constant state of escapism. They don't want to think about the big issues because it 'depresses' them - I've heard this said on more than one occasion.

The constant state of anxiety and false competition we are kept in atomises us, as it it is intended to, making us even less likely to connect with others. Drink, drugs, violence - this is the root cause behind them all, but it's off the table for discussion as it is the psychology that drives our economic model.

I think it's more a case of not wanting to discuss some issues rather than not having an opinion. I think most people are fundamentally unhappy with their lives and seek a constant state of escapism. They don't want to think about the big issues because it 'depresses' them - I've heard this said on more than one occasion.

The constant state of anxiety and false competition we are kept in atomises us, as it it is intended to, making us even less likely to connect with others. Drink, drugs, violence - this is the root cause behind them all, but it's off the table for discussion as it is the psychology that drives our economic model.

Perhaps its the root cause of why so many people take anti depressants - we never get in touch our feelings, who we are, whats are purpose in life, is there any more to life than earn wage, waste your time on futile pursuits - and then die. I don't mind if people don't discuss the big issues - who wants to listen to someone ranting ill informed opinions about issues which don't have any direct impact on your life - thats ok

I just can't bear speaking to people who you cannot get any more than small talk - like a fake, lifeless, bland persona - where every word or sentence is carefully monitored not to cause any offence, or in any way show an opinion in anything. They are the sort of people that sit on the fence in everything for most of their lives, or at work - and see what way the wind is blowing, or what is the majority opinion - and then that will become their opinion - as soon as the opinon becomes less popular they change it

As for walking being a "dull" activity, it is only dull if you have no interest in your surroundings.

That sounds remarkably similar to the kind of apathy which the OP finds so irritating in other people...

I love walking, I love nature, I love birds and trees, I love clouds and rain, I can walk for miles and be miles away....that's how I like it. ;)

+1

That's a poor indictment isn't it, but I bet those you refer to don't go much beyond the beeb for their news and views.

Went to a London Show last night.

people all had a ticket to get in.

Each ticket had a Seat ROW and number of seat written on it.

Mrs Loo pointed out the people that couldnt even locate their seats.

The ROWs had LARGE Letters on them, and each seat had a number on it.

the people in front of us got the row right, but got the wrong seats.

this was going on all over the cinema.

either Dyslexia is more common than I thought, people are blind, drunk, or just plain stupid.

I know where you're coming from, but what about people who are willing to give their opinions and talk and talk but never do anything? Even people who give opinions never actually do anything (and I don't mean voting :rolleyes: ) in which case you might as well save your breathe.

Bloody hell JS you are one miserable ****. People come, people go. It's up to you to make the effort and retain the quality ones.

No, not miserable. Just telling it like it is!!!

Spot on. They are then (mostly), either at work or escaping. Not wishing to address any issues and just fit in. And more importantly keep their job.

What if people had been getting conditioned into this by education as well as jobs becoming more scarce?

What would be the effect say of reducing the real amount spent on education per child from say the mid sixties to the present? You could all still get the same O level, GCSE, Degree piece of paper of course. Just not so much effort has gone into it. I refer to the Mathematics O level paper question found word for word in an Mathematics A level paper a few years back. After years of denial that education was getting dumbed down.

I think people would and have become generally dumber. For instance you could hear someone holding a dumbed down degree, say after two months of a new government", I don't think much of this new coalition, the economy is in a mess and we can't sell our house".

What if the dumbing down of the media is adding this as well? And all these mind numbing dull celeb magazines for instance.

I know where you are coming from. I love hearing other's opinions, not to mention foisting mine on others. But I'm doing this less and less. It appears to be the case that people take my interest in their thoughts as some kind of inquisition. I became acutely aware of this after a period of asking members of my extended family what they thought of this or that social / political / economic / religious issue. With no opinions offered, I decided one day to ask them about a matter of decor - yes, you are reading me right here : we're talking fireplace surrounds to be exact. I was horrified when what I believe to be a this perfectly innocuous question was slammed back with an accusation of bullying. Apparently all of my opinion seeking had been interpretted as a succession of attempts to corner and beat into verbal submission. :blink:

Worse still, since then, I find myself qualifying everything I say, whether opinion or bald fact, with sentences like "at least, that's what I think I read somewhere,", or some such other aquiescence. I'm pretty sure one day I'm gonna just flip out and brain-dump all my opinions on them, pure and unqualified: a kind of verbal-Moaty if you will. Until then this place is a pressure release valve.