House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CarbonBasedLifeform

How Can Educated People Be So Dumb?

Sister and BIL came to visit me the other day. She has some ******** degree in evironmental studies and field biology and i know it must be ******** as she could not do maths at even a quite basic level at secondary school but is good at writing essays and making neat diagrams but thats about it etc .

Anyways she works for the council looking after an area of outstanding natural beuty she just blurted out "dont think much of this new govt the economy is in a mess and we can,t sell our house"

i handed her a newspaper with the "britains real debt is 5trillion story" and said "do'nt think that happened in the last 120 days do you" all i got was "dunno" and a blank look, i started to talk about how labour had built schools and hospitals with pfi "mortgages" etc and got some more blank looks.

she has just put house on market for £235k (the highest of the valuations) it was valued at £215k in 2007 :o and she is wondering why nobody is viewing it "ive put it on at £235k as everyone is looking for a bit of a bargain at the moment so we went with the highest valuation to allow us room to knock a few £k off for any hagglers" she said. :lol: pure ******ing genius.

If an apparently educated woman can be so ******ing stupid i,m sure labour will be back in in a few years, country full of morons impo.

Sister and BIL came to visit me the other day. She has some ******** degree in evironmental studies and field biology and i know it must be ******** as she could not do maths at even a quite basic level at secondary school but is good at writing essays and making neat diagrams but thats about it etc .

Anyways she works for the council looking after an area of outstanding natural beuty she just blurted out "dont think much of this new govt the economy is in a mess and we can,t sell our house"

i handed her a newspaper with the "britains real debt is 5trillion story"  and said "do'nt think that happened in the last 120 days do you" all i got was "dunno" and a blank look, i started to talk about how labour had built schools and hospitals with pfi "mortgages" etc and got some more blank looks.

she has just put house on market for £235k (the highest of the valuations) it was valued at £215k in 2007  :o  and she is wondering why nobody is viewing it "ive put it on at £235k as everyone is looking for a bit of a bargain at the moment so we went with the highest valuation to allow us room to knock a few £k off for any hagglers" she said.  :lol:  pure ******ing genius.

If an apparently educated woman can be so ******ing stupid i,m sure labour will be back in in a few years, country full of morons impo.

I was going to ask you if you'd talk about your own sister that way. Turns out you do!

ages ago a friend got left a house (mother died) to split between him and his two sisters, all clever people they think

they had it on at 175k were offered 150k. turned it down and said we are not giving it away.

as far as i know it is still on the market, must be over a year now.

I was going to ask you if you'd talk about your own sister that way. Turns out you do!

i'm 100% sure she has no idea what a £trillion is, not even sure she knows what a billion is, a million maybe, just maybe but apparently its them new coalition wot done it :lol: if i'd said thats over 3 times gdp i'm sure i'd have got another blank look so i decided not to waste my breath.

The education really is irrelevant. Heck, I was studying politics at uni and in our course books the "tiger economies" were hailed as great things - Ireand among many (this was in early 2000). How much of that was fuelled by loose credit and bubbles? Quite a lot, but the point is that everything that relates to the real world in education is built on paradigms - and the paradigm is credit expansion.

If you haven't got a certain level of curiousity and apetite for information no amount of education will prepare you for real life because education is so limited if you only expect it to feed you with facts - education should be about instilling values and a drive to want to know more - not just be fed whatevere the flavour of the moment is.

Obviously England is fecked for so many other reasons, two party systems, long running soaps and reality television and house price increases which really made politics and analyzing the other bits about economy irrelvant, as long as house prices go up everyone's happy - you can't go wrong from investing in bricks and mortar.

What I DON'T understand at all is how the heck people who were adults in the 90s didn't learn the lesson on house prices, and why they didn't pass on this knowledge to their kids. Christ.

...you can educate most people in a narrow discipline ....but you cannot instill intelligence whether it's business acumen, streetwise awareness or basic common sense...... :rolleyes:

Heh ... ah.... the joys of sibling rivalry ....... it must be hard to come to terms that your sister has achieved more than you , and not let it show !

The education really is irrelevant. Heck, I was studying politics at uni and in our course books the "tiger economies" were hailed as great things - Ireand among many (this was in early 2000). How much of that was fuelled by loose credit and bubbles? Quite a lot, but the point is that everything that relates to the real world in education is built on paradigms - and the paradigm is credit expansion.

If you haven't got a certain level of curiousity and apetite for information no amount of education will prepare you for real life because education is so limited if you only expect it to feed you with facts - education should be about instilling values and a drive to want to know more - not just be fed whatevere the flavour of the moment is.

Obviously England is fecked for so many other reasons, two party systems, long running soaps and reality television and house price increases which really made politics and analyzing the other bits about economy irrelvant, as long as house prices go up everyone's happy - you can't go wrong from investing in bricks and mortar.

What I DON'T understand at all is how the heck people who were adults in the 90s didn't learn the lesson on house prices, and why they didn't pass on this knowledge to their kids. Christ.

They did learn the lessons of the 90s, it taught them that they will recover as long as you hold on and gave them the unshakeable belief in the asset class that exists, the market created the perfect psychology to cause maximum damage (as they always do, its poetry) when the actual crash/end of cycle actually comes, its what keeps people holding all the way down until the y eventually capitulate in fear near the bottom, like i say poetry in action.

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

Labour will be back with their sugar coated dream-world after the nasty ConDems take us into a double-dip.

i handed her a newspaper with the "britains real debt is 5trillion story" and said "do'nt think that happened in the last 120 days do you" all i got was "dunno" and a blank look, i started to talk about how labour had built schools and hospitals with pfi "mortgages" etc and got some more blank looks.

she has just put house on market for £235k (the highest of the valuations) it was valued at £215k in 2007 :o and she is wondering why nobody is viewing it "ive put it on at £235k as everyone is looking for a bit of a bargain at the moment so we went with the highest valuation to allow us room to knock a few £k off for any hagglers" she said. :lol: pure ******ing genius.

Clearly, she isn't educated, though it is understandable that you could make that mistake, given that she has a degree and all... :rolleyes:

I can forgive people forgetting things after 20 years. What I find odd is that even though prices fell 20% in 2008/9 people on these boards tell me it can't happen again over the next 2 years :rolleyes:

Heh ... ah.... the joys of sibling rivalry ....... it must be hard to come to terms that your sister has achieved more than you , and not let it show !

she aint achieved shit :)

What is it going to take to change people's perceptions? The best part of a decade's media coverage and EA hype have implanted the view that ever increasing house prices are a good thing and prices will only go up. Convincing people that their house is worth less than a couple of years ago seems impossible.

I know a lot of intelligent folk who have jumped into the BTL market with no concept of how much the interest on a mortgage really is, the costs of maintenance etc. People really do seem to be thinking very short-term about the 25 year loan they've taken out. There's complete denial out there about potential interest rate rises.

Sentiment for squeezed out FTBs is minimal, because everyone is focused on getting the highest price for their property. There are a few parents out there who are looking at their kids' position and starting to think that prices are too high, but that's it.

My concern is that if prices do start to fall quickly, as 18 months ago, sellers will quickly retreat again resulting in a lack of supply pushing up prices. Time will tell.

i'm 100% sure she has no idea what a £trillion is, not even sure she knows what a billion is, a million maybe, just maybe but apparently its them new coalition wot done it :lol: if i'd said thats over 3 times gdp i'm sure i'd have got another blank look so i decided not to waste my breath.

Yep and we have that wee cretin Ed Balls running around making cheap comments about how it is all the Tories fault again. What annoys me is he is making the cheapest of the cheap political shots yet knows full well who is to blame for the mess.

People believe what they want to believe and there is an obivous feeling going around that Labour are 'left' wing so that is good regardless of their policies or what a mess they have made of the last 13 years. The Tories missed their chance, they had to let it slip in the first few months, the longer it drags on for the less the people are going to belive it was the fault of Brown and his cronies. Another hefty drop in prices and Labour will win the next election.

They did learn the lessons of the 90s, it taught them that they will recover as long as you hold on and gave them the unshakeable belief in the asset class that exists, the market created the perfect psychology to cause maximum damage (as they always do, its poetry) when the actual crash/end of cycle actually comes, its what keeps people holding all the way down until the y eventually capitulate in fear near the bottom, like i say poetry in action.

Exactly. In 1993 would anybody have believed you if you claimed that a monster property bubble of 5-10%pa rises would be in full swing again less than 5 years later? They didn't even really trust it when it first started happening, read BBC news reports from 1998 and they show how cautious EAs and other property experts were being about rising house prices, warning buyers not to get carried away and that a small correction might be in the offing. By 2000 of course all bets were off, 4-5 years of rising house prices had altered expectations completely. Much more than the 70s and 80s, it was the 90s that really taught everybody that "house prices always go up". That is, until they don't.

By 2000 of course all bets were off, 4-5 years of rising house prices had altered expectations completely.

I bought a flat in 2000. I remember a friend telling me to be cautious, as prices may have peaked.

I bought again in 2007. No-one uttered any words of caution.

Yep, my sisters exactly the same, a conformist obedient educated moron. Pretty little word documents, spin and presentations are the sum total of her skill set. It's disappointing because she has the capacity to be intelligent, but she seems unwilling to question authority in any way. The government, her employers, people in suits and the BBC are the fountains of truth in her world. It's not intended as a sexist point, on the male side of the family my brother is simply a straight-up traditional moron.

Chomsky says 'education is a system of imposed ignorance"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq6lFOhLJ0c&feature=related

Edited by enrieb

Like everyone on these boards I think housing in some parts of the UK is overpriced and should come down in price, but i'm not entirely convinced that it will, not in the way that many people on here seem to think it will.

A 3 bed semi on my street sold in Feb 2007 for £345,000.00. At the time I thought that was ridiculous. Six months later their neighbour put their house up for £360,000.00. Bad timing as sub-prime crisis started in April 2007 in USA. That house did not sell until February 2009 for £249,999.00. Bad timing again as prices started to increase from March 2009.

The house which sold in Feb 2007 came on the market this week at £399,000.00. It sold the day it came on the market, in fact it hadn't even had time to be listed on Rightmove it sold that fast. Jammy buggers.

As with every market it's timing that counts the most.

If you had bought in 1989 and sold in 1993, bad timing.

Bought in 1989 (still bad timing for an entry) but sold in 2006, good timing.

Most of us can't think much further ahead than the next few weeks, let alone a decade.

she aint achieved shit :)

non repayment - I/O mortgage? :P

I bought at the top in 1989 when interest rates were high. My rate was around 15% I remember so clearly mortgage costs were not a factor back then. This time they are (as people are maxed out) in borrowing. Any small movement upwards (in Libor not BOE rates) will lead to capitulation this time around. So yes things are different this time-very different.

I guess that this is where her real education begins. I agree with one of the posters below - this doesn't reflect well on your parents. You can't expect the schools/universities to teach the young everything - you have to give them life skills such as :

- treat everyone with equal amounts of respect (as human beings) and distrust (for the same reason), especially anyone in a sales capacity

- always have a plan b whatever your course of action

- if something doesn't 'sound right' then somebody is hiding something from you, ask more questions

- never accept a 'free dinner' they are extremely dear

oh yes,

- and the right price for something is the price that a buyer is willing to pay, in a free market items do not have an intrinsic value.

Edited by Reluctant Heretic