House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Is It Worth Registering With Eas?

In the ongoing 'war' between HPCers and EAs/deluded sellers I wonder whether it is worth registering with EAs or not.

Up until now I have refused to do so as I did not want to be annoyed by junk from them nor to somehow qualify their, IMPO, deluded asking prices.

But is this the wrong move?

Are there advantages registering?

I can't think of any but welcome opinions on this.

We used to be registered with some local EAs, but that was well before discovering rightmove.com. One of the pros is that the estate agents would send out information before it went to newspapers, or web portals. Obviously, it was a sellers' market back then when properties were in high demand.

Unfortunately, because we were fussy and complained about the prices they stopped sending out brochures (probably also, because a lot of properties sold within a week or so).

With portals like rightmove or zoopla, I'm not sure it's worth it, unless you have very specific wishes and think it's fun to make the EAs work a bit more for their money.

Ceinwyn :rolleyes:

junk from them nor to somehow qualify their, IMPO, deluded asking prices.

Junk costs money.

You'll get very little.

Register. Give them your details and your budget. Explain you're after a bargain, a project/no work etc and ring them up occaisionally when you see a property you like.

Get your eye in doing viewings before you're ready to buy so you're good at it when you are ready.

I'm not sure there is a lot of point registering. My wife is keener than I am to buy ... so she watches the local market and occasionally rings up to view a house etc. So, the local agents know who she is etc. One of them is already fed up with us (I think) and I'm not sure he takes our enquiries seriously any more.

I heard my wife talking to him the other day and she said 'What's the vendor's position, are they open to offers?' and he just said 'No'. No explanation ... nothing ... because every time my wife rings up she checks the situation out. I get the impression that most estate agents don't like experienced, savvy buyers. They want naive twerps who will offer full asking price.

. I get the impression that most estate agents don't like experienced, savvy buyers. They want naive twerps who will offer full asking price.

We were looking at a property a few weeks ago. Nice house, ticked a lot of boxes but overpriced for the sqm you got. During one of the follow-up calls my SO explained that we were following the news and were worried about buying and being in negative equity straight away. EA jumped head first into the trap and said that we should not worry since the prices in Scotland were around six months behind the south to which SO replied: so you're telling me I'll be in negative equity in six months time.

Don't think she had much to reply to that.

Ceinwyn :lol:

I haven't purely out of priciple - I do not want to contribute to those "new buyers registered" statistics that are sometimes wheeled out by VIs.

Is It Worth Registering With Eas?

It doesn't compare with sectioning them TMT :)

In the ongoing 'war' between HPCers and EAs/deluded sellers I wonder whether it is worth registering with EAs or not.

Up until now I have refused to do so as I did not want to be annoyed by junk from them nor to somehow qualify their, IMPO, deluded asking prices.

But is this the wrong move?

I am waiting for the local EAs to get a bit more desperate before I honour them with my attention. I love the Joanna Lumley/Patsie put down to the uppity woman working in an art gallery - "And you can drop that attitude, you're only a sales assistant!"

Edited by Reluctant Heretic