House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jonboy2010

How-To-Sell-Your-House-In-The-Autumn-Market

That's hilarious, anything but drop the price! Giving £20K to the person who finds him a buyer?

Throw in the car or give an £8K 'discount', but never ever drop the price. Weird.

This guy is talking sense!

Colin McKenzie runs C M Property Search, a buying service seeking out homes for busy clients and negotiating the price on their behalf. His advice to sellers who have failed to find a buyer over the summer is simple: cut your asking price by a fifth at least in a bid to draw new interest.

"Three or four months ago, with boundless optimism, your agent suggested an asking price. Since then not only have the prime buyers passed you by, but mortgages have become harder to secure and confidence has fallen away. Corner your agent. Discuss reducing the guide price by 20 per cent or more," Colin urges.

Why the panic - it is September 1st next week and, as most EAs tell us, the Summer is always a quiet time for selling houses with September being the buesiest month rolleyes.gif

They're all busy months, every month is great, the market's fine, don't believe what you read in the papers, we're still selling houses, we'll get you a good price for this, life's sweet, list of buyers as long as your arm, new web site, re-designed property particulars, details on 472 portals, competitive commission, we're not the cheapest but we are the best, August was great, September will be even better, lots of motivated buyers, everyone wants to be in by Christmas, strike now while the iron is hot, every cloud has a silver lining, sole agency is best, too many cooks spoil the broth, neither a borrower nor a lender be, unless it is for properdee ... in which case borrow as much as you can, property always goes up in the long run, a stitch in time saves nine, trust me, I'm an estate agent

"Secondly, there are forecasts from estate agents' own research departments. These are almost unanimous in ruling out a crash, but expect gentle falls this autumn and in 2011."

Look at any comment piece on property from the Irish media in 2006-2007. Everything was about a "soft landing" for the property market and the fundamentals are sound etc. EA's research departments are not going to be putting out reports saying 1 in 3 EAs will be out of work in 12 months time.

"Secondly, there are forecasts from estate agents' own research departments. These are almost unanimous in ruling out a crash, but expect gentle falls this autumn and in 2011."

Look at any comment piece on property from the Irish media in 2006-2007. Everything was about a "soft landing" for the property market and the fundamentals are sound etc. EA's research departments are not going to be putting out reports saying 1 in 3 EAs will be out of work in 12 months time.

Come on, own up. You've been on here before ... who were you in your last incarnation?

Come on, own up. You've been on here before ... who were you in your last incarnation?

Nope. Genuine newbie. Moving over to Greater London from the fiasco in the Irish property market/economy. Working out notice period, so killing time on the web.......

Bought in Dublin at the start of '05, and gonna be paying for it for a long time. Determined not to get caught again so learning as much about UK scene as possible.

That ok with you or do I need to give my birth cert also?

They're all busy months, every month is great, the market's fine, don't believe what you read in the papers, we're still selling houses, we'll get you a good price for this, life's sweet, list of buyers as long as your arm, new web site, re-designed property particulars, details on 472 portals, competitive commission, we're not the cheapest but we are the best, August was great, September will be even better, lots of motivated buyers, everyone wants to be in by Christmas, strike now while the iron is hot, every cloud has a silver lining, sole agency is best, too many cooks spoil the broth, neither a borrower nor a lender be, unless it is for properdee ... in which case borrow as much as you can, property always goes up in the long run, a stitch in time saves nine, trust me, I'm an estate agent

:lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

You may laugh, but I have about 20 houses in the lower end of the price range in my watch list on rightmove and about 90% of them have sold in the last month.

They are in the London commuter belt, but I am gobsmacked that things are moving as well as they are. On the flip side the lumpy stuff isnt moving at all.

EA's research departments .

Is there a pill I can take to stop this phrase sounding oxymoronic?

From the comments:

familyman

Today 09:21 AM

How to sell your house in the autumn market?

Ask considerably less than you were asking this spring and considerably more than you will be asking next autumn.

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

Everybody sells in September. The kids have just started back to school...so it's the perfect time .... :blink:

Edited by juvenal

Everybody sells in September. The kids have just started back to school...so it's the perfect time .... :blink:

I've heard this a few times, could someone please explain the logic to me?