House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving For a Space Ship

Defence Spending In A Time Of Austerity

There is an argument you don't need an army, salaries are a huge cost, if you have air and sea you can blow up anyone you want from wherever you need to, and more often than not not even being there or needing to fly it...

There is an argument you don't need an army, salaries are a huge cost, if you have air and sea you can blow up anyone you want from wherever you need to, and more often than not not even being there or needing to fly it...

As an ex-Navy bod, I have to applaud that idea!:)

Dunno, I wouldn't be too happy about the G failing to fulfill it's one real obligation, ie defence of the realm. Defence doesnt' cost that much relative to other great wedges of public expenditure.

As for austerity and the need for weapons, well. What happened in the early 1930s? And what happened in the late 1930s?

I believe in live & let live, wars are engineered by Banksters to gain more control, I suppose many already know.

Erm infantry are always needed as you cannot occupy countries by air power alone. Remember aircraft missiles ships and tanks are incredibly complicated machines. Infantry are cheap completely expendable, this is important in warfare! As weapons make big powerful weapon platforms incredibly dangerous while infantry can sustain phenominal losses and the survivors can be regrouped and sent off to die again and again. The 187th PVA was used in a mass infantry rush and the survivors were merged into the other PVA units.

Too boot infantry are pretty powerful on the battlefield these days when a £50K missile can turn your £5million tank/aircraft/helicopter into scrap.

Also when the crunch comes i.e. martial law you need infantry to keep the peace and to steal off the population directly.

Top Brass in the Army love the war in Afghanistan as it puts all the focus on the Army and hence the Navy and RAF will get huge cuts to provide more money to the Army.

Alas, we are basically fighting Vietnam II - something that Colin Powell spent most of his career coming up with strategies to avoid repeating that mistake - and we are so focused on Afghanistan that we are now being faced with a PR war from the Army that we do not need ships and planes.

We don't need boots on the ground in Afghanistan. Never did. We can't change that country into anything resembling a nation let alone a Western deomcracy. It is the Women and kids there that I feel sorry for - the ones who just want a peaceful life.

We don't need boots on the ground in Afghanistan. Never did. We can't change that country into anything resembling a nation let alone a Western deomcracy. It is the Women and kids there that I feel sorry for - the ones who just want a peaceful life.

Of course we need infantry in Afganistan.... I mean if we didn't then those pesky Afgan terrorists would dig up our gas pipeline and prevent the flow of central Asian gas. When the pipe needs to be repaired and or extended we need infantry to execute any civilians terrorists who object to the bull dozing of their towns for the gas pipe.

We cannot now rely on an impoverished state for our personal defence. I'm making a ballista! :o

Personally I think the UK armed forces should forget about large scale intervention in foreign wars - we're skint and it's very questionable that we could make a difference in the long run anyway. We should concentrate on the defence of the home islands, its people and its culture, plus potentially valuable real estate like the Falklands.

+1. The real victims of a pre medieval religious mindset, mixed with a lust for opium money and regional power politics.

Yeah. We could cut all the armed forces and just keep Trident. That was we can retain the power to blow up anywhere while reducing costs.

The word 'defence' here is deliberately misleading. Clearly only a fraction is needed for actual defence, and you would have to wonder - against who? We have no resources that anyone would want to invade for. At least let's be accurate about what it is - a fund for aggressively expanding economic interests.

who is attacking us?

does a rocket protect against a mail box bomb?

Yeah. We could cut all the armed forces and just keep Trident. That was we can retain the power to blow up anywhere while reducing costs.

Tridents dont buy cars, houses, have families.