House Price Crash Forum
Guest_ringledman_*

Ftse To Hit 6,000 Year End

FTSE 3500

DOW 7200

30% fall in 4 month. I'll never say never but that's I can't see that.

If we're going to have a compition to see who can guess the closest, I say 4756.3 :P

FTSE100 - 6,000 by year end.

Far too much pessimism out there which is great news for the FTSE.

Another myth, that stockmarket returns are linked to economic growth.

Predictions...

Blimey - I hope so. I'll sell everything I own, including my granny, at 5985 and plough back in at 5250.

only problem is ,... the whole world will have got there before me, and sold out at 5750.

6000 seems a tad unlikely.

but that's just an opinion ...

Edited by johnny5thumbs

Predictions...

I'll raise you,   FTSE to hiy 12,000,000 by 2014, loaf of bread to cost £1000.

With QE2 it could go up a long way as we enter an inflationary holocaust.

I'm certainly not expert but I think there would be a number of highs and then falls as investors take profits.

Personally I don't care. Whatever the FTSE is at, it has little relation to how the economy effects ordinary people.

It's just another part of the b*****er shell game.

Predictions...

to be honest i would not be surprised to see the FTSE over 5700

investors will want to put their money somewhere, and they will not be putting it in houses anymore, so a good HPC will will make a good FTSE, but then again what do i know.

Short term I reckon the rotten business fundamentals will see FTSE at 4k before the end of the year.

However as other assets crash, bonds look more and more iffy and ZIRP continues we will see traditionally risk averse money (Pensions, some savers) piling into the stock market just to try to get an above inflation return. This could bounce the FTSE around wildly.

12months out, I wouldn't be surprised to see FTSE at 12,000, with hyperinflation kicking in (as Mikhail mentioned)

Just a sideshow really, I'm not invested in the stock market (well, apart from a couple of old pension policies with £6k in, which I can't get to anyhow). So, I couldn't really care less.

In my retirement portfolio I have about 4% invested in stocks. In my STR fund I have 0% in stocks. I do not see happy days ahead for stocks I am afraid.

Bonds looking even better short to medium-term ish. All depends on the Fed and if Bernanke is sidelined by the hawks who prefer deflation to clear the decks once and for all. If the inflationists win its another boom and bust within 5 years and the next bust will be worse than this one.

Markets appear to be in a strange holding pattern at the moment. I'm waiting to see what happens (if anything) at Jackson Hole later on today.

I'd guess around 4,800

Bad news just to rumble on and on as the year pans out, but no huge crash.

Everything is so uncertain at the moment though i still have roughly half my pension fund in shares, as cash could easily be quickly devalued.

Short term I reckon the rotten business fundamentals will see FTSE at 4k before the end of the year.

However as other assets crash, bonds look more and more iffy and ZIRP continues we will see traditionally risk averse money (Pensions, some savers) piling into the stock market just to try to get an above inflation return. This could bounce the FTSE around wildly.

12months out, I wouldn't be surprised to see FTSE at 12,000, with hyperinflation kicking in (as Mikhail mentioned)

Just a sideshow really, I'm not invested in the stock market (well, apart from a couple of old pension policies with £6k in, which I can't get to anyhow). So, I couldn't really care less.

Well, Jim - I tend to agree with you. Somewhere between 4000 & 12,000. Blimey - that's a relief - I can switch my calculator back over to mnus 3 decimal places once again. :o)

I don't predict the future, and I never will.

Let's hope the makeup of the FTSE will be more from companies that make useful stuff like wheels and toilets, and

less of the ringtones, and enhanced web experience stuff! :o

I agree with "homeroom" who posted a comment in response to this Telegraph article...

"Institutional investors are propping up the US equities market because they need to be invested on the day that Ben (helicopter) Bernanke announces QE2 causing a spike in equities. Prices should fall quickly from there because institutional investors expect QE2 to fail. Who actually thinks QE2 will bolster the US economy? I haven't heard any credible source put their reputation on the line to support such a silly notion.

Our interest rates are ridiculously low already and we're sliding into economic oblivion (can anyone say "Japan").

Ben will put off QE2 as long as possible because the equity markets will swoon drastically within a few months of him firing his last cannon. Then, the Fed will be defenceless and the US equity markets will finally suffer the brutal blow that Mr. Edwards is so brilliantly predicting.

Ben hopes that jawboning about QE2 will be enough to keep asset prices propped up for a prolonged period of time. This jawboning will be tested soon.

Once he fires his last cannon and it fails, then what does he do? Another round of QE and then another until 30-year interest rates are at what... zero? His cannons no real ammunition anymore.

Behavioural finance is stalling the inevitable. Gruelling reality will prevail and equity markets will succumb. Nimble, US-based institutional investors believe they will get out fast enough to miss the blood bath and they probably will.

Too bad for the buy and hold investors."

The same obviously applies to the UK, so it depends on when QE2 happens and when the plug gets pulled.

Predictions...

Or genuine participation. In the same way BO delivered DOW 11200 from DOW 6700. They could push the DOW to 12000 (for FTSE to reach 6000) but what does it tell us? Nothing, choose any number and it is plausible in this environment and that is why the "markets" are slowly dying, they have lost all meaning and relevance and are simply as monetary tool that the FED has been using while is was able to influence consumer sentiment.

16th Sequential Equity Fund Outflow Takes Total To Over $50 Billion YTD; Retail Boycott Of Stocks Continues

The latest anticipated weekly outflow from equity mutual funds just hit a one month high of $2.7 billion, as reported by ICI, and with that, YTD redemptions by equity investors have hit over $50 billion. Domestic equity mutual funds have not seen a net positive retail inflow since April 28, yet despite this the market has been substantially rangebound and until last week. What is notable is that even during times of relative stock outperformance, courtesy of whoever it is that is left buying stocks, be it HFT algos, or Primary Dealers pumped with cheap Fed liquidity (and don't forget today is another "free $2 billion courtesy of POMO" day), the investing public refuses to be drawn into owning stocks. CNBC has now failed to sucker its viewers into the stock ponzi for 16 weeks in a row and rising. The clear capital rotation winner- the bond bubble, but that is the topic for another week.

FFlows%208.26_0.jpg

Edited by Confounded