House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cat in the Hat

Aug 2007 £500K. Aug 2010 £1,675,000

I think the Rightmove price comparison feature has just proved to me that the London market remains a sanity-free zone.

This little beaut was sold on Aug 22 2007 for £500,000.

It's now back on the market for £1,675,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27415408.html

Do press the 'street view' button to get a glimpse of a superb example of crumbling 1960s Council architecture opposite, plus a lovely view of the local dog toilet /chav hang-out complete with fat b*astard slumped nursing a can of Stella in the middle of the day.

What do I know though? I posted a £455,000 Foxtons-marketed ex-Council flat in the same area in the most overpriced sh*thold thread last week and now it's under offer.

I think the Rightmove price comparison feature has just proved to me that the London market remains a sanity-free zone.

Do press the 'street view' button to get a glimpse of a superb example of crumbling 1960s Council architecture opposite, plus a lovely view of the local dog toilet /chav hang-out complete with fat b*astard slumped nursing a can of Stella in the middle of the day.

What do I know though? I posted a £455,000 Foxtons-marketed ex-Council flat in the same area in the most overpriced sh*thold thread last week and now it's under offer.

Don't worry about the dog toilet and the can of Stella. Can't you smell the leather upholstery and the parquet flooring?

Mmm ... lovely !

You just know you cant afford it. Doesnt mean other people cant! :)

Its inspired how they dont put a picture of the front of the house on the brochure and/or website.

You can imagine the conversation in the EA office "Dont worry we will just blindfold them and then do the big reveal once they are inside"

£1,675,000? You gotta be kidding me.

I know that area well, its near City University. Extremely busy unpleasant streets with a Hackney-like feel. I might understand a little more if it was near say Sloane Square, but Clerkenwell? Gimme a break!

Famously, Tony Blair lived in nearby Islington and he's just written a book titled "A Journey". If venturing into this area I must ask "Is your journey necessary?"

F*cking chancers.

I have no idea why anyone would part with so much money for a house like that, but seriously are you surprised? It's right in the centre of london, full of the masters of the universe... you know those bankers who have done such a sterling job over the last decade. they are worth it you know, if we dont pay the talent, they will go elsewhere. What else are these people going to spend their taxpayer funded bailout money million pound bonuses on?

Its inspired how they dont put a picture of the front of the house on the brochure and/or website.

There's a reason for that which I discovered when I went past it this morning on the way to the tube.

The EA refers to an "exceptional Georgian terraced house", but they've somehow forgotton to mention they've not completely removed the retail shopfront. Yep, rather than restore it back to its original state, they've concreted up the front, and put in five panel windows at the top. No wonder there's no picture

(On the streetview link it's the one called 'The Plot', between Embassy Electrical Supplies and the pub at the end of the road)

There's a reason for that which I discovered when I went past it this morning on the way to the tube.

The EA refers to an "exceptional Georgian terraced house", but they've somehow forgotton to mention they've not completely removed the retail shopfront. Yep, rather than restore it back to its original state, they've concreted up the front, and put in five panel windows at the top. No wonder there's no picture

(On the streetview link it's the one called 'The Plot', between Embassy Electrical Supplies and the pub at the end of the road)

So it's right next to a lovely London boozer! Surprised it's not over £2m

So it's right next to a lovely London boozer! Surprised it's not over £2m

It's Clerkenwell. We don't have boozers, we have Gastropubs

Ooh. Big cranes! .

Yes, from the mothballed luxury loft apartment development behind.

I know that area well, its near City University. Extremely busy unpleasant streets with a Hackney-like feel. I might understand a little more if it was near say Sloane Square, but Clerkenwell? Gimme a break!

Famously, Tony Blair lived in nearby Islington and he's just written a book titled "A Journey". If venturing into this area I must ask "Is your journey necessary?"

F*cking chancers.

Eh? I live in Clerkenwell and it's a great place. It's lively and has some lovely architecture. Like everywhere in inner London you're only a couple of streets away from a council block, but it's a bit harsh to say it feels like Hackney. Personally I wouldn't live anywhere else (in the UK). Edit: Well maybe Highgate or East Finchley then I could have a dog and somewhere to walk it!

PS. I rent. Prices are ridiculous.

Edited by Constable

F*cking chancers.

But, but Clerkenwell is the hub for all the "new media" professionals!!

http://www.rightmove...y-27415408.html

Err, with all due respect, it looks like they've made a mistake with the price it supposedly sold for in 2007. 67 Compton Street sold in 2007 for £500k but the property that's being highlighted is in fact number 77 (you can see from streetview).

That said, still doesn't detract that it's at least a million quid over priced.

Edited by bomberbrown

Err, with all due respect, it looks like they've made a mistake with the price it supposedly sold for in 2007. 67 Compton Street sold in 2007 for £500k but the property that's being highlighted is in fact number 77 (you can see from streetview).

That said, still doesn't detract that it's at least a million quid over priced.

Yep, you're right. Righmove have mixed up 67 and 77. However I've had a look at the correct selling price for no.77 on Nethouseprices, and it's almost as bad

77 Compton St, EC1V 0BN: Sold for £345,000 on 06 Jun 2000. Sold again for £535,000 on 13 Feb 2004. Now on sale for £1.675m.

I've lived in EC1 for a decade and almost all prices have gone up 400%-500% in that time. Even grotty Council flats that you could pick up for £70k in 2000 now go for £350k.

It seems unlikely that the 500K price on the LR is for the whole house.

no 54 - 10 house down the road is split up into three flats and they have sold for 500K each.

You may think that 1.6 mil is a stupid price for the area but it's seems to be in the right ball park whereas 500K isn't

tim