House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
batman

Hurricane Maria

Guest growl

What happened to 'L', don't they list them alphabetically?

Cat 5 '155' miles per hour. That's what hit NO. I can't imagine winds faster then 75.

Oh yeah, they alternate between male and female don't they?

I think 'Libitina' would have been a good one as she is the Roman goddess of death. Very apt.

Oh yeah, they alternate between male and female don't they?

I think 'Libitina' would have been a good one as she is the Roman goddess of death. Very apt.

Laura or Leanne.

Hey all this time Libitina i thought your name was a female variation on libertine, i like the right definition though, never heard of her before.

sorry for being a spoil sport here, but have we turned into the weather channel?

I suppose the only relevance is it reflects the views of the estate agents on the current downturn - "It will blow over"

Guest magnoliawalls
sorry for being a spoil sport here, but have we turned into the weather channel?

I suppose the only relevance is it reflects the views of the estate agents on the current downturn - "It will blow over"

We have often wondered what the trigger would be - Katrina could be enough and it is still early in hurricane season. A combination of a peak in the hurricane cycle with warmer water in places like the Gulf of Mexico suggest that some big ones may be brewing.

The bubble in debt and house prices make us vulnerable to shocks like this. It provides an excuse for Brown et al - they are not to blame for the hurricane -> oil spike -> downturn -> credit crunch -> house price crash.

Nevermind that it is their short termist policies that have made us vulnerable in the first place.

What happened to 'L', don't they list them alphabetically?

Cat 5 '155' miles per hour. That's what hit NO. I can't imagine winds faster then 75.

They are named when they become tropical storms.

In 2003 hurricane Juan hit Nova Scotia, so they can go far north. Tho I have to admit wondering if globle warming had anything to do with it going so far north.

We had a huge wind storm here a few years ago. Wind gusts up to 100MPH. We had some downed trees, and just about everyone needed at least a small repair to their roof. Honestly, not as bad as it sounds. My understand with is hurricane is not only just the wind, the rain and storm surge. Most of the serous dammage from the wind comes after the eye passes & the wind blows the other way.

we in UK will get a bit of katrina soon.

If my memory serves me well,the big ones go east to west,blow themselves out and then recycle as they cross the gulfstream.

so don't be surprised if we have a bit of a windy spell in a week or two.

We have often wondered what the trigger would be - Katrina could be enough and it is still early in hurricane season.  A combination of a peak in the hurricane cycle with warmer water in places like the Gulf of Mexico suggest that some big ones may be brewing. 

The bubble in debt and house prices make us vulnerable to shocks like this.  It provides an excuse for Brown et al - they are not to blame for  the hurricane -> oil spike -> downturn -> credit crunch -> house price crash. 

Nevermind that it is their short termist policies that have made us vulnerable in the first place.

Not surprising really...

The great UK storm of the late 80's was arguably a trigger for the UK markets.

we in UK will get a bit of katrina soon.

If my memory serves me well,the big ones go east to west,blow themselves out and then recycle as they cross the gulfstream.

so don't be surprised if we have a bit of a windy spell in a week or two.

Those that make landfall usually don't make it over to the uk. Maria might though. It's excellent because they bring on some really good surf!

:)

Adam.