House Price Crash Forum
Pent Up

Rbs Closing Insurance Sites. 2000 Jobs To Go.

From Sky can't post link it's from the iPhone app.

Royal Bank of Scotland has revealed details of a mass closure of UK insurance sites that will see at least 2000 people lose their jobs.
The part-nationalised bank is currently informing staff of the plans, which will see 14 of its insurance centres close completely, with job losses at over a dozen more.
The most high profile site to close is the Direct Line call centre at Atlantic Quay in Glasgow, which employs 640 people.
Around 400 of them will be made redundant with the rest shifting to other roles within the company.
RBS is also closing another site in Glasgow, two in Birmingham, two in Croydon and two in Bristol.
Sites in Farnham, Ipswich, Manchester, Peterborough, Romford and Cardiff, will also be shut down over a three-year timescale.
RBS said in May that 2,000 jobs would go at its insurance arm, which includes the Direct Line, Green Flag, Churchill and Privilege businesses and employs 16,000 people.
It was forced by the European Commission to sell its insurance division as part of the deal to allow it to accept the Government bailout.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2010/08/25/medical-secretaries-and-consultants-reject-job-reduction-proposals-by-southport-and-ormskirk-hospital-nhs-trust-100252-27130511/

From now to Xmas we can expect a drip.drip,drip of goverment jon lossers, normaly they try to mask them, but for the sake of the £ they cry from the roof tops.

mike

I was talking to a medical secretary (nurse secretary to a consultant) last Saturday who was adamant that her very cushy job in a Cardiff hospital was 100% safe.

Her partner later told me that she has no idea what is going on in the wider economy as she has worked her entire life in the public sector as did her parents.

6 weeks holiday not including bank holidays, 8 till 4.30 Mon to Fri, no weekend work, no shifts.

I was talking to a medical secretary (nurse secretary to a consultant) last Saturday who was adamant that her very cushy job in a Cardiff hospital was 100% safe.

Her partner later told me that she has no idea what is going on in the wider economy as she has worked her entire life in the public sector as did her parents.

6 weeks holiday not including bank holidays, 8 till 4.30 Mon to Fri, no weekend work, no shifts.

I've got that in the private sector (although shorter hours) + profit share & share options, is this not normal then?

jsut in the local garage and got told they never ever had it as quiet as this.(they traded through the last recession)

'recovery?' I asked.they laughed.

What do you mean by garage - petrol station, backstreet mechanic or car dealer?

The more they cut, the worst it will get...........as for "Everything is going on day to day" Yep same thing happened when south Vietham was taken by the north.......up too a few hours before Sagon was "normal".............the the NVA drove in.

Mike

The more they cut, the worst it will get...........as for "Everything is going on day to day" Yep same thing happened when south Vietham was taken by the north.......up too a few hours before Sagon was "normal".............the the NVA drove in.

Mike

Don't say that! I can imagine some EAs near me using the imminent arrival of the NVA as a reason to ramp asking prices even more.

jsut in the local garage and got told they never ever had it as quiet as this.(they traded through the last recession)

'recovery?' I asked.they laughed.

the word is out on the ground in the private sector anyway.the journo's-with the honoruable exception of AEP,Randall etc at the telegrarph,are spinning to people who can see with their own eyes that they're talking sh1t.

on topic,I was with directline for fifteen years till last year,then I got a whacking increase.RBS seemed to be using DL as a cash cow for punters to dumb to move and to ramp the bottom line ahead of the sale.I wasn't the only one it happened to.eventually got it down from £687 to £330 with AA.RBS is f*****

Me too! Just renewed my home insurance and the DL renewal price was something like a 50% raise on last year. So I moved to another company who charged £125 (contents only as I'm a dirty renter), including cycle cover, plus £75 cashback via Quidco. Result!

Shame, because DL were always competitive in the past and the phone service was good - I remember I usually got someone with a Scottish accent so I guess it was probably someone in the Glasgow centre :(

mechanic.also sells number plates.his mrs(who does the number plates)said their work was generally directly realted to the volume of sales in the second hand market(I can't see why but she assured me it was) and that everyone was quiet).

People holding back on servicing I guess.

Me too! Just renewed my home insurance and the DL renewal price was something like a 50% raise on last year. So I moved to another company who charged £125 (contents only as I'm a dirty renter), including cycle cover, plus £75 cashback via Quidco. Result!

Shame, because DL were always competitive in the past and the phone service was good - I remember I usually got someone with a Scottish accent so I guess it was probably someone in the Glasgow centre :(

Was talking to someone who works for insurance company owned by RBS a few weeks ago and ...

All insurers putting prices up because, apparently, they don't want the business (something to do with increased costs due to the UK following the US claim culture)

Targets have been set to write off less vehicles and repair as many as possible, financial penalties for the company if these aren't met

Staff being treated very badly as no-one else will pay the salaries they have built up through the boom (South East)

Mmmm, take with a pinch of salt but interesting none the less

Was talking to someone who works for insurance company owned by RBS a few weeks ago and ...

All insurers putting prices up because, apparently, they don't want the business (something to do with increased costs due to the UK following the US claim culture)

Targets have been set to write off less vehicles and repair as many as possible, financial penalties for the company if these aren't met

Staff being treated very badly as no-one else will pay the salaries they have built up through the boom (South East)

Mmmm, take with a pinch of salt but interesting none the less

I found this out recently when trying to insure one of my motorcycles.

Paid £230 last year fully comp, renewal came through for £500. I rang them up and they managed to get it down to £300, but as I can't ride at the moment I thought it would wait until after my family holiday. Got back from holiday to find out KGM (last years) & RSA (this years lowest quote) had both pulled out of the insurance market and I was left with just AXA @ £450 :(

Ah, this must be the rbs closures I heard about at the weekend. The guy who lost his job thought they got a bailout, but I don't know if they are a reliable source.

Same here. But rather than shop around, I thought I'd 'self insure'.

Such a high percentage of the premium is profit and payouts for fraudulent claims, that everyone who takes this step will on average be better off.

If you want to spread your risk - you could have a 'claims club' with your family or something. All on trust.

Actually very little of it is profit.

Generally speaking the industry make very little money from general insurance. In fact they pay out arounf £1.10 for every £1.00 they take in premium. The money is earned by investing the premiums they collect.

Claims costs are rising year on year but because the UK market is so competitve this has not been passed on to consumers. However; most insurers are no starting to pass these on to you and I.

Same here. But rather than shop around, I thought I'd 'self insure'.

Such a high percentage of the premium is profit and payouts for fraudulent claims, that everyone who takes this step will on average be better off.

If you want to spread your risk - you could have a 'claims club' with your family or something. All on trust.

...for car insurance ...is that legal ..?....in fact is it not the same as uninsured....?..... :rolleyes:

I found this out recently when trying to insure one of my motorcycles.

Paid £230 last year fully comp, renewal came through for £500. I rang them up and they managed to get it down to £300, but as I can't ride at the moment I thought it would wait until after my family holiday. Got back from holiday to find out KGM (last years) & RSA (this years lowest quote) had both pulled out of the insurance market and I was left with just AXA @ £450 :(

? I cannot think of a bike which Carole Nash will not insure. They do multi bike policies and have European wide breakdown as standard. Bit pricier than the cheapest but overall I think it is worth it. They also do multi car policites.

If I, a young single male, can get a fully comp quote at £300 for a 1 litre sportsbike with only 1 year NCB, then... well, you must live in Elephant & Castle or something. :)