House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Anyone Use Adsense/similar?

Anyone have websites or blog that feature adsense or similar? Mrs and I are now getting some revenue for a site we started six months ago and decided we'd monetize it, initially just to try and cover the shared hosting fees for the year, but as the site grows and a page suddenly seems to attract a surge of traffic its interesting to see the money clock up.

So does anyone do really well out of this stuff or is a modest cheque now and again about it unless you've got serious traffic? I've tried googling the topic but there's lots of spammers boasting of how they can sell you 'secrets' or forum posters with crap-looking nothingy websites that say they get $500 a month.

How much can you realistically get from this sort of thing?

You need huge traffic.

And a boring site which makes people decide clicking the ads is better than staying.

The people selling you their secrets obviously have very little wisdom to impart.

How much can you realistically get from this sort of thing?

That's what I'm try to gauge. Is it worth thinking about and should I be doing more than just uploading the odd page to the site here and there and put more time into it? I think there was a guy on here with a few tourist websites that were doing alright.

It seems like you need around 200-300 true hits to get a click which may be worth 17p, but then you get little flurries where there's suddenly clicks galore - perhaps because at that moment there was a juicy ad?

As I said, most opinions I can find are from sad 'internet marketing' wannabes who look like they are trying to get rich quick. What about Joe Blogs with a good quality labour of love information site that gets moderate few thousand hits a month traffic?

First you have to get approved. They like sites to be 6 months + before you apply. And if they say no there's no appeal.

I know someone who's got 12000 visitors a day and makes about £30 a month if he's lucky.

You need huge traffic.

And a boring site which makes people decide clicking the ads is better than staying.

The people selling you their secrets obviously have very little wisdom to impart.

+1

I run a website that gets a few thousand visitors per day.

The advertising revenue from it will pay for a meal at the pub once a month. It's also incredibly erratic - this month's income looks like it'll be just a third of June's total.

Not trying to discourage the OP - in fact I'm putting some effort into getting more traffic and hence more revenue - but it's certainly not the get-rich-quick nirvana described in some blogs.

Yes, I mean - it's possible I've only ever clicked on Adsense ads a couple of times EVER - and one of those was probably a mistake! So I can see you often need a lot of visitors to get one measly click. Still, it is kind of addictive to see money slowly ticking up now that the site has continual traffic.

+1

I run a website that gets a few thousand visitors per day.

The advertising revenue from it will pay for a meal at the pub once a month.

Do you declare the income (Just being nosey, am not on the hotline to the tax man at all)

:)

Its very hard to get right. I think the days of big adsense money might be over. Then again I might be wrong. Personally I think its a poor way to monetize a site and would prefer to pick up a decent affiliate commission rather than a few pence per click from Google. Also adsense tends to take people away from your site.

For your site you to get noticed, you need a lot content. Sadly if your site has content then visitors are less to click on the adverts, so ideally your site has to really resemble a domain "parking page." I'm sure you have seen these where the page is all adverts and the visitor has little way out. However if you were to create a page like this, it would no doubt be in breach of Google's T&C.

When launching adsense site, webmasters would first draw up a list of all the high paying keywords, such as "mortgages" or "web hosting" which pay well per click (can be as high as a few pounds). However the competition is very stiff on these terms so you are unlikely to rank quickly or very well, in order to get traffic, so a newer approach is to forget the click price and go for low competition (long tail) phrases which you have a much greater chance of ranking for.

There is a whole science attached to placing the adverts on a page, blending in, styling and so on, and there are various wordpress themes (free and pro) to facilitate this.

Funny enough I came across some scam sites a few days ago. Someone had created a ton of adsense sites on the free host webs.com. They resembled domain parking pages, however looking at the source code revealed "hidden text" all cut and pasted from Wikipedia. There are a whole ton of other tricks including iframes and so on. Unlikely to work for long (if at all) and a good chance of getting the offending adsense account suspended.

I think you could cover your shared hosting costs OK. Much more than that, would require a really sexy and legitimate way of driving traffic and paying much more attention to the ad display and maximising CTR.

But bear in mind that sites like HPC seem to entirely monetized by Adsense and it must be quite expensive to run (it probably at least needs its own dedicated server) so there is hope I suppose.

Do you declare the income (Just being nosey, am not on the hotline to the tax man at all)

:)

Not at the moment - by the time I've declared it & deducted reasonable expenses (server hire, use of my computer, office space, etc...) then the taxman would probably owe me :)

I will start declaring it in a few months though as (touch wood) revenues will soon start to increase.

There is a whole science attached to placing the adverts on a page, blending in, styling and so on, and there are various wordpress themes (free and pro) to facilitate this.

Funny enough I came across some scam sites a few days ago. Someone had created a ton of adsense sites on the free host webs.com. They resembled domain parking pages, however looking at the source code revealed "hidden text" all cut and pasted from Wikipedia. There are a whole ton of other tricks including iframes and so on. Unlikely to work for long (if at all) and a good chance of getting the offending adsense account suspended.

I think you could cover your shared hosting costs OK. Much more than that, would require a really sexy and legitimate way of driving traffic and paying much more attention to the ad display and maximising CTR.

But bear in mind that sites like HPC seem to entirely monetized by Adsense and it must be quite expensive to run (it probably at least needs its own dedicated server) so there is hope I suppose.

Yes, and who gets anything other than annoyed when they land on some 'adsense site' which is just some public domain bumpf or paraphrased Wikipedia stuff plastered with ads. I'm not into spammy-scammy stuff as I want the site to not look cynical.

It seems like you need around 200-300 true hits to get a click which may be worth 17p, but then you get little flurries where there's suddenly clicks galore - perhaps because at that moment there was a juicy ad?

I run a site which it seems has a similar traffic level. Personally I think Google ads look amateur and reduce the quality of the site, this of course is a personal opinion but the impression I get when I see them is the site is unable to generate enough of it's own advertising. We tend to generate a click for every 180 hits, which equates to around 1 for every 55 visit.

However we go and seek our own advertising, we offer a couple of advertising packages from £5 - £30 per month. The site caters for a smallish pool of people so the profits and advertisers will be limited but we know of another similar site aimed more or less the same audience which charges 20x what we do and has plenty of people advertising. We have been going about 9 months and have about 9 advertisers (I say about as we had a new one go live today), the other guy involved has spent his life starting up businesses so we did things properly from the start, we have a bank account etc so convincing people to send you money is a little easier when you can present yourself as a business rather than a couple of guys with a few web pages to look at, it also helps that we are fairly well known faces in the area we deal with.

I should say however, we are under no illusions, we don't expect to make a living from the site, but it does offer us a lot of fringe benefits which we wouldn't have had access to otherwise. The fact we have a half decent sum of money in a bank account (relative to the effort involved) is a bonus.

I'm sure there are people out there making a lot of money, but with 6 1/2 billion people in the world that's not that impressive.

As has been said I never click on Google ads, or any banner ads to be honest. We went for the more personal angle, we do a lot more for our advertisers than sticking a banner or link on a page. One thing our page is good at is ranking in Google, we are No.1 for loads of search terms, obviously related to our field so only 4-5 people a month are using those terms, however being No.1 for those means those 4-5 people come to us. That's our selling point, we allow our advertisers to piggy back on those search clicks.

Should have given you my experience with Adsense, had it on another site, think I made about £5.50, they only send money when it reaches £50, so Google owe me money.

I try to help but people never believe me.

Yes you can make good moolah from Adsense. The days are certainly not over. I make about 50quid a month but I don't even focus on it. I want to grow it to a couple grand a month. You can do this with a ton of small sites, see below.

Most people slap it on any old site. The clicks aren't worth shit.

They are best on sites based around products. People looking for "canon eos 550d" and visiting your informational page are more likely to click on them. They are already in a "buying mood", having googled the model name.

If you want an example of a great design, see

http://www.pilatesyogamatdeals.com/

This template is from the "Xfactor" method that one guy uses to make money full-time. Many months ago my intention was to have several hundred sites. I never pulled it off though and I regret it. ******!

If you want his method for free then go to Google and type:

cache:http://www.moneymakerdiscussion.com/forum/wh-download-section/11335-get-adsense-masters-course.html

Then scroll down to the mediafire download link..

Ho hum....

Not at the moment - by the time I've declared it & deducted reasonable expenses (server hire, use of my computer, office space, etc...) then the taxman would probably owe me :)

I will start declaring it in a few months though as (touch wood) revenues will soon start to increase.

Be aware when you do you're supposed to have registered as S/E within three months of starting ;-/

I try to help but people never believe me.

Yes you can make good moolah from Adsense. The days are certainly not over. I make about 50quid a month but I don't even focus on it. I want to grow it to a couple grand a month. You can do this with a ton of small sites, see below.

Most people slap it on any old site. The clicks aren't worth shit.

They are best on sites based around products. People looking for "canon eos 550d" and visiting your informational page are more likely to click on them. They are already in a "buying mood", having googled the model name.

If you want an example of a great design, see

http://www.pilatesyogamatdeals.com/

This template is from the "Xfactor" method that one guy uses to make money full-time. Many months ago my intention was to have several hundred sites. I never pulled it off though and I regret it. ******!

If you want his method for free then go to Google and type:

cache:http://www.moneymakerdiscussion.com/forum/wh-download-section/11335-get-adsense-masters-course.html

Then scroll down to the mediafire download link..

Ho hum....

Thats a very good ebook. Thanks. just scanning it now, but a lot of it is selecting the niches, sub niches with search traffic and low competition etc..By the way, for products I found Amazon very good. The commissions are not brilliant, but the Amazon site is very good at converting.

Thats a very good ebook. Thanks. just scanning it now, but a lot of it is selecting the niches, sub niches with search traffic and low competition etc..By the way, for products I found Amazon very good. The commissions are not brilliant, but the Amazon site is very good at converting.

You have a better understanding of marketing compared to most cynics on here. So what's stopping you from pumping out 200 of your own sites? Is it the research angle?

But why does the internet need 200 more spammy blogs or sites? Isn't 'fooling Google' always going to be a cat and mouse game? Google will surely want to get better at filtering out noise going forward.

I'm talking more about monetizing a good quality information site with growing traffic.

I have my own business and built its website from scratch some 4 years ago.

I am an accommodation provider in a very competitive UK seaside town.

Last year I created a blog alongside my own site (similar and key-worded domain name) using attraction offers in the town and surrounding area as its theme.

It is important to think about SEO for sites from day 1 even before you design them so you can research your keywords and phrases correctly. Also having an understanding of how google works is essential.

My blog at this time of year gets perhaps 5-600 hits a day (much less in the colder Months and much outstrips what I see as my money site (which is accommodation related).

That said google sees it as very relevant for money off vouchers and the like and will return it often above Martins money savers and Voucher codes sites for relevant searches, in any event it is always on page 1.

I have never considered using adsense for this site as I suspect it would devalue the content and may impact on its SERP placing for its keywords.

The bonus for me is the blog has only two outbound links from its first page both point to my accommodation site. That also gets lots of hits and 95% of my business comes from it.

It is not only the traffic that clicks through but as google sees the voucher site as relevant for the town it presents and it gets a high placing outbound links from that site (and the site they point at) are valued much more highly in google eyes.

The link building and on page SEO I have operated since its inception now mean my money site is now in position 2 or 3 (out of 630,000 so the google top bar tells me) for the most competitive search terms for accommodation in this town.

Up to 2 years ago I used to use Adwords a lot, these days I spend very little on advertising.....Given the SERP placings I don't need to.

A bit of an unorthodox site but I learnt loads from this site over the last couple of years. They have an adsense section is you are interested.....

Linky

You have a better understanding of marketing compared to most cynics on here. So what's stopping you from pumping out 200 of your own sites? Is it the research angle?

Nothing at all. However if other HPC types want to give it a go, that guide is as good an any. I think I'd look at three monetization streams per site though, perhaps adsense, amazon and maybe and maybe a decent paying affiliate link.

But why does the internet need 200 more spammy blogs or sites? Isn't 'fooling Google' always going to be a cat and mouse game? Google will surely want to get better at filtering out noise going forward.

I'm talking more about monetizing a good quality information site with growing traffic.

But what do you mean when you say "spammy sites".

There used to be many "made for Adsense" sites that Google deindexed with an update to their algorithm.

Now, that site I showed you is an extremely optimised site. But the information is good. It's highly targeted to what the person is looking for.

You can deoptimise a site if you want it to look more asthetic perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with the core information.

This is not really considered to be gaming Google. But I guess that is down to a matter of opinion, I will concede that.

A bit of an unorthodox site but I learnt loads from this site over the last couple of years. They have an adsense section is you are interested.....

Linky

Yes, that site is very good and you can download a lot of stuff for "free" :D

A better site from a marketing perspective is http://www.warriorforum.com

There are lots of yanks there and sometimes it can get a bit weird but there are lots of people making serious money there and you will learn a lot.

btw if you put Adsense on there, it will definitely NOT hurt your rankings. Absolutely not. But it will cut down on traffic that makes it to your money site. It just depends on how much you can make from it. You could do a test for a couple of weeks.

I have two websites (neither of which are spam) that get around 500 visitors a day between them. Last month I made just short of £140 from Adsense, which is about average.