House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Motorcyclist "wears" Bbq Home

What a twerp..

bbq_1703096c.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7964542/Motorcyclist-wearing-barbecue-on-motorway-fined-for-careless-driving.html

Michael Wiles, 29, was seen on Melbourne's busy Eastern Freeway effectively "wearing" the barbecue as he carried it home after finding it by the side of the road. He had inserted his body through the wooden frame and was peering through a protruding steel grate to see his way as he drove along at speeds of up to 46mph.

Police investigated after his antics were photographed from a passing car. The picture later found its way on to the internet and was widely circulated in emails. Mr Wiles, a New Zealander who lives in the Australian city of Melbourne, admitted the charge when he appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Wednesday. Paul McClure, his defence lawyer, said Mr Wiles's excuse was "lack of thought processes" at the time and poverty.

"It turned out the barbecue was a dud and did not work, and that's probably why it was at the side of the road," Mr McClure said.

"This is stupid behaviour and nobody should do it."

Mr McClure said his client had been approached by a barbecue company to appear in an advertisement after his photograph was published but he had declined to do so. Lionel Winton-Smith, the presiding magistrate, said he could not recall a case like it in his years on the bench.

"I'm trying to think of a word to describe it," he said.

"Ridiculous?" suggested Mr McClure.

"Ridiculous. That will do," agreed the magistrate.

He fined Mr Wiles A$800 (£458) and disqualified him from driving for one month. Outside the court, Mr Wiles told The Age newspaper that he hoped his experience would encourage other people to be more responsible on the roads.

"I felt it was right to accept some responsibility," he said.

Asked if he now owned a barbecue, he said: "I'm better off without one."

Actually I reckon he went for a walk with the barbecue, then found a motorcycle!

What a twerp..

You can't do anything these days.

In the 60s, I used to ride my scooter wearing an Al Capone style hat. When I went above 30MPH the rim blew down over my eyes so that, on the motorway, I used to ride along with one hand on the handlebars and the other holding the hat rim out of my eyes with girlfriend hanging on for dear life on the back. Those were the days :D.

Thats a very old picture I've saw it years ago, but carrying big things is no biggie, UK law states as long as it is secure then there is nothing the cops can do..

John used to be somewhat lacking $ he hates delivery fees so he carried home a washing machine on the back of a bike. I've carried fridges ladders even bicycles on the back of a motorbike.

If he lived in Thailand, he'd have the wife and kids on as well.

Plus we'd be told how enterprising he was and how our western rules just hold back real

risk takers and entrepreneurs etc.

Whoop! Whoop! Someone is not conforming in sector Aus/103/MS19. Intercept immediately. NON CONFORMITY ALERT, NON CONFORMITY ALERT!

Thank God he wasn't smoking as well, or a child could have been maimed, or something.

Thats a very old picture I've saw it years ago, but carrying big things is no biggie, UK law states as long as it is secure then there is nothing the cops can do..

John used to be somewhat lacking $ he hates delivery fees so he carried home a washing machine on the back of a bike. I've carried fridges ladders even bicycles on the back of a motorbike.

How the hell can you get a washing machine on the back of a bike? I would imagine he spent most of the journey trying to avoid roundabouts?

How the hell can you get a washing machine on the back of a bike? I would imagine he spent most of the journey trying to avoid roundabouts?

It's easy, just just need ratchet straps and to keep the COG low you put it sideways. Remember bikes are designed for 2 people so anything which weighs less than 18 stone can be carried the bike is designed to carry it if the preload and headlight is adjusted.

YOu just keep the speed down when turning to levels below that of counter steering speed to direct steering and there is no problem.

Seems to me that he was wearing eminently sensible body armour for motor cycling.

Bet some boffin turns up to prove that he was actually safer.

and.... did he hurt anyone?

What? You've got to be kidding.. would you drive anywhere near a guy driving a BBQ?! :lol:

The only people likely to get hurt are:

A ) The driver himself.. but who cares, it's his own stupid fault if he falls off

B ) Anyone so short sighted they can't see they're driving dangerously close to a lunatic on a BBQ. In which case they really shouldn't be on the road in the first place!

I miss riding in Mexico.. shorts, T-shirt and a pair of sunglasses.. nobody cares if you want to kill yourself over there.

What? You've got to be kidding.. would you drive anywhere near a guy driving a BBQ?!

I dunno, I'm quite partial to fast food.

Boom-tish!

Yes folks, I'm here all week.