House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bomberbrown

Attic For Sale!

Yeah, that's gross. I bet it doesn't even have building regs.

Blimey, that just reminded me. A mate of mine lived in Clissold Crescent (London N16) back in the early noughties in a first floor flat where access to the flat above was through my mates flat!!! It never fazed him one bit and he had web servers and the like in his living room. How nothing never got nicked was beyond me!!!

According to Zoopla, a terraced house on that street sold for £56k in 1995. Now they want £55k for an attic.

Never mind that some 'investor' may think 6% yield for an attic is OK. Did anyone else notice the EPC rating - 17!

Usually, a house with a wall missing is that low! Must have no heating, and that single-glazed skylight as the only light. Oh, and no wall insulation, being the age it is, there is probably no cavity.

£55,000?!? :blink:. Back in 1992 you could buy a THREE BED SEMI for £60,000 ..... what an absolute ripoff this country has become, and the punters keep coming :lol:

Thats not the worst bit. Partitioning up these very nice houses into shoe boxes should be criminal. I'm slightly amazed they get planning.

Thats not the worst bit. Partitioning up these very nice houses into shoe boxes should be criminal. I'm slightly amazed they get planning.

Council tax is regressive. Three shoe box flats will provide the council with more tax than one decent family home. And given that council tax benefit is (stupidly) funded by central government yet council tax is spent locally, it doesnt even matter if they pay or not.

Why have one nice house where you can stretch your legs when you can have three hovels instead? :unsure:

This country is full of very sick people...

£55,000?!? :blink:. Back in 1992 you could buy a THREE BED SEMI for £60,000 ..... what an absolute ripoff this country has become, and the punters keep coming :lol:

Granted I agree it's a rip-off but why select 1992? Meaningless really. Especially since that was AFTER a crash.

Average 3-bed houses round here in 1978 were under £10k (nationally, £13,820 according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/reports/politics/1978vs2008_20080425.shtml ) but the average wage was probably well under £4k. A pint of milk was 11p and 20 cigs 58p. Ay oop.

Edited by deflation

Council tax is regressive. Three shoe box flats will provide the council with more tax than one decent family home. And given that council tax benefit is (stupidly) funded by central government yet council tax is spent locally, it doesnt even matter if they pay or not.

Well funny you should say. Back in the 80's I turned three Northampton "flats" back into a single three storey terrace house. It was a condition of the mortgage and had been badly converted into flats in the 60's.

However some people/builders in that street were looking at "proper" flat conversions as property was booming in the late 80's, and the excuses by NBC for not granting permission, were an excess of existing single accomodation in the area, ( so would have to be at least 2/3 bed flats) , oh and must have some provision for offroad parking.

Just goes to show how times change.