House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DisQ

Million To Lose Weekly Bin Round As 4 London Boroughs Move To Fortnightly Collection

Who would have thought this could happen so soon, well it has started get ready for over flowing bins bringing all sorts of problems like smell, rats, isects & vermins, mess on pavements & streets.... take your pick.

eventually every council will introduce this.

London Borough Coucils introducing fortnightly collections are:

• Brent
  • Kingston-upon-Thames
  • Bexley
  • Harrow
Households across London are facing fortnightly rubbish collections as town hall budgets are squeezed.

Brent has announced plans to reduce the frequency of general waste collections from once a week. It is the fourth London borough to introduce fortnightly collections, meaning almost a million people will be affected.

The move raises concerns that other town halls could follow suit, putting public health at risk in a bid to save money.

Local government minister Bob Neill warned that cutting collections could lead to fly-tipping, smells and problems with rats and other vermin.

He said: “London councils should listen to the concerns of residents who want weekly rubbish collections. We are committed to working with local authorities to freeze council tax and help them improve the frequency of rubbish and recycling collections.

“The bin man has never been so welcome as now with many councils cutting weekly rounds. Fortnightly collections cause problems with fly-tipping, odour and vermin as well as forcing people to drive to their local dump.”

Labour-run Brent hopes the move will boost recycling rates but it is also expecting to save around £1.2 million a year.

It will join Kingston-upon-Thames, Bexley and Harrow in offering a weekly collection service for food and, in some cases, garden waste.

However, non-recyclable rubbish such as nappies, vacuum bag dust, dog and cat waste, light bulbs and ash sits uncollected in wheelie bins for up to two weeks. Brent will collect recyclable rubbish on alternate weeks.

Brent's assistant director of environment Michael Read said: “In future residents will have more space to recycle as small green boxes are replaced with larger wheelie bins.

“Under the new proposals there will be very little of what we might call rubbish' as most of what we throw away can be recycled.”

The Government has already withdrawn Audit Commission guidance encouraging councils to switch to fortnightly collections. Ministers are reviewing all waste policy, from packaging to collection.

They have urged councils, which face severe cuts in government grants, to increase the use of local referendums to find out which services people want to protect.

Town halls across the country have been moving to fortnightly collections over the past few years despite public support for weekly rounds.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23870760-million-to-miss-out-on-weekly-bin-collection.do

I live in the Borough of Waverley, near Guildford basically.

We get a fortnightly recycling collection and a fortnightly bin collection (we all have wheelie bins).

Its really bad in the summer. You kind of have to decide what and how you are going to throw away in the first week otherwise you end up with a very smelly very full bin by the second week.

"Oh the hardship" I hear some of you cry... Well its not the end of the world obviously but how much money is this actually saving? Even by careful reycling its hard not to exceed a wheelie bins worth of rubbish in two weeks. And yes we compost green waste etc etc....

At the very least they should change it to a weekly collection in the summer months.

Who would have thought this could happen so soon, well it has started get ready for over flowing bins bringing all sorts of problems like smell, rats, isects & vermins, mess on pavements & streets.... take your pick.

I am sure they will, but it is no surprise to me as a long-time resident that the borough of Kingston is one of the first. Kingston has the most expensive council tax in London, but is always amongst the first to introduce cuts like these due to an incompetent council that lost control of it's budget years ago

Out all of the thousands of 'responsibilities' of a local authority, one of the few things I'm happy to pay for is to have the rubbish collected.

Shock horror, that's the one they cut!

Edited by Kyoto

We get a fortnightly recycling collection and a fortnightly bin collection (we all have wheelie bins).

Its really bad in the summer. You kind of have to decide what and how you are going to throw away in the first week otherwise you end up with a very smelly very full bin by the second week.

"Oh the hardship" I hear some of you cry... Well its not the end of the world obviously but how much money is this actually saving? Even by careful reycling its hard not to exceed a wheelie bins worth of rubbish in two weeks. And yes we compost green waste etc etc....

At the very least they should change it to a weekly collection in the summer months.

By contrast we have weekly bin collection and fortnightly rotation of garden waste / recycling.

Sometimes we have to really compress the recycling, but the bin is never anywhere near half full. Fortnightly collections for us would not be a problem. However, i can see that just one missed collection in winter would cause problems for a lot of other people.

Now that is crazy. I am betting that we will keep our weekly recycling collection for a while because they will then be able to claim that the cuts to the bin collections are for environmental reasons. A couple of years later, both will be fortnightly.

Of course people could create less rubbish in the first place.

Nah.

It's my right, isn't it, 'cos face it, I'm worth it. I'm entitled, I am.

Of course people could create less rubbish in the first place.

Nah.

It's my right, isn't it, 'cos face it, I'm worth it. I'm entitled, I am.

If you're paying for it, you are kind of entitled. Will we be getting council tax rebates in response?

Out all of the thousands of 'responsibilities' of a local authority, one of the few things I'm happy to pay for is to have the rubbish collected.

Shock horror, that's the one they cut!

It is one of the only ones they can cut, I suppose. I know it is a cliche, but I really can't think of any council provided services that I use about from waste/recycling collections, roads and street lighting.

That is a great deal for £1,700 a year!

This is great news. We have recycling and ruibbish on alternative weeks and it makes a massive difference to the amount of rubbish collected. It has been running for years and as a result, Hampshire has one of the best records for recycling in the UK. I very occasionally have problems with flies in the rubbish bin but you just need to be careful not to split the bags and to clean it out every now and then. I think it's worth the hassle to reduce the amount of stuff we're all throwing away.

I've lost count of the number of times I've pointed this out on this site but....

The amount of your council tax that goes to your bin collection is tiny.

When I worked in a local authority is used to work out at about £40 a year per households which got you 52 collections a year (half green bin, half black bin) and a seperate recycling collection plus all the tips open almost every day of the year.

The VAST majority of your council tax is spent on vulnerable children and care homes for the elderly (about 60% of the total)

With this freeze in council tax then given the staff in care homes / child protection are pretty much unsackable then the axe has to fall on other services.

Stick everyone's tax up by £10 a year and ring fence it for rubbish collection and we could have the best collection and recycling facilities in the world but people won't pay for it.

This is great news. We have recycling and ruibbish on alternative weeks and it makes a massive difference to the amount of rubbish collected. It has been running for years and as a result, Hampshire has one of the best records for recycling in the UK. I very occasionally have problems with flies in the rubbish bin but you just need to be careful not to split the bags and to clean it out every now and then. I think it's worth the hassle to reduce the amount of stuff we're all throwing away.

Carrot vs Stick I suppose. Fair comment.

My problem is that it feels like these measures are introduced to save money. Of course they will tell you it is to reduce the amount dumped in landfil sites, I just don't believe them.

In the case of the OP of course they are now able to use the budget cuts as an excuse!

Edited by t350chunder

I am sure they will, but it is no surprise to me as a long-time resident that the borough of Kingston is one of the first. Kingston has the most expensive council tax in London, but is always amongst the first to introduce cuts like these due to an incompetent council that lost control of it's budget years ago

Fortnightly for gardening & recyling is norm everwhere I believe, its common rubbish which is the problem. Both your areas are up market, with higher council taxes as well so its a bit surprising that its already being reduced to fortnightly...sign of times. However likes of Harrow, Brent etc are over populated & will pose serious health problems as mentioned in the article. But its one of those unavoidable things bound to happen...

• Brent

• Kingston-upon-Thames

• Bexley

• Harrow

I'm in Kingston - we've had fortnightly landfill collections for a couple of years and I don't find it a problem. All the recycling (food, paper, glass, textiles) is collected weekly. We don't have any overflowing bins or mess around here, and there's a family with 4 young children a couple of doors away. We also have a stack of foxes in the area but the food bins seem to be fox-proof - the handles can lock them shut.

Larger families can have bigger/ more landfill bins if they ask.

If we have any potentially seriously smelly food waste (eg remains of fish or meat) I put it in a bag in the freezer until the night before the bin men come. (and no, I don't have a huge freezer, it's pretty tiddly.)

But we chuck out v little food in this house.

I can see that nappies might be a problem - pity more people don't use a (washable) nappy service. God knows how much landfill must be taken up with stinking Pampers.

As for cat and dog waste, personally when we had a dog I used to flush all her picked-up poo down the loo. Though will admit my mother had a fit when she found out - why I still can't fathom. Poo is poo, FGS.

we could have the best collection and recycling facilities in the world but people won't pay for it.

We have a weekly food collection (Rarely put this out as scraps go for the cats or the birds) - this is now the same place to send plant stuff but have compost heap for most of it.

Every other week recycled stuff - glass and tins. Didn't put this out this week as it wasn't even half full.

Main rubbish - the other week of the cycle.

Paper - a whole bin for that and somehow fill it every fortnight.

Hint: don't throw wet rubbish out with food waste on it. Wash food containers or at least sprinkle a bit of washing powder on them.

Some people have their bins cleaned by the man in the van - but I think they should just stop putting crap in their bins.

I'm in Kingston - we've had fortnightly landfill collections for a couple of years and I don't find it a problem. All the recycling (food, paper, glass, textiles) is collected weekly. We don't have any overflowing bins or mess around here, and there's a family with 4 young children a couple of doors away. We also have a stack of foxes in the area but the food bins seem to be fox-proof - the handles can lock them shut.

Larger families can have bigger/ more landfill bins if they ask.

If we have any potentially seriously smelly food waste (eg remains of fish or meat) I put it in a bag in the freezer until the night before the bin men come. (and no, I don't have a huge freezer, it's pretty tiddly.)

But we chuck out v little food in this house.

I can see that nappies might be a problem - pity more people don't use a (washable) nappy service. God knows how much landfill must be taken up with stinking Pampers.

As for cat and dog waste, personally when we had a dog I used to flush all her picked-up poo down the loo. Though will admit my mother had a fit when she found out - why I still can't fathom. Poo is poo, FGS.

It sounds to me like you almost enjoy doing all of that, which is fine.

Maybe I do expect too much, as it would be nice not to have to build your routine around a fornightly rubbish collection whereby if you put in just a fraction too much waste it is not emptied, as punishment!

:)

We have a weekly food collection (Rarely put this out as scraps go for the cats or the birds) - this is now the same place to send plant stuff but have compost heap for most of it.

Every other week recycled stuff - glass and tins. Didn't put this out this week as it wasn't even half full.

Main rubbish - the other week of the cycle.

Paper - a whole bin for that and somehow fill it every fortnight.

Hint: don't throw wet rubbish out with food waste on it. Wash food containers or at least sprinkle a bit of washing powder on them.

Some people have their bins cleaned by the man in the van - but I think they should just stop putting crap in their bins.

As I said its boroughs like Harrows & Brent which are over populated with lot of flat conversions/ BTL shares pretty common in some part of London, hence will pose serious problems.

As I said its boroughs like Harrows & Brent which are over populated with lot of flat conversions/ BTL shares pretty common in some part of London, hence will pose serious problems.

There are some terraced streets where people moan about having to have so many bins.

They do a variety of options though (weighted bags for paper to stop them blowing away when empty) and small food waste bins if you have no need for a wheely bin for garden waste.

• Brent

• Kingston-upon-Thames

• Bexley

• Harrow

...while their executives maintain their high salary levels, cushioned pensions and bonuses.....joke a minute .... :rolleyes:

It sounds to me like you almost enjoy doing all of that, which is fine.

Maybe I do expect too much, as it would be nice not to have to build your routine around a fornightly rubbish collection whereby if you put in just a fraction too much waste it is not emptied, as punishment!

:)

Enjoy it?? Well, of course - not quite such splendiferous jolly fun as cleaning the oven, though. ;)

But since you have to put everything you chuck out in a bin anyway, it takes hardly any extra time to separate it.

Comes automatically after a while.

We certainly don't 'build our routine' around it - unless you count Mr B putting the bins out on a Sunday night.

I'm in Kingston - we've had fortnightly landfill collections for a couple of years and I don't find it a problem.

Have to say that the recycle aspect on my road is poor. Sometimes it's collected, sometimes not.

We're in Kensington & Chelsea and the binmen come round on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. There's a green collection once a fortnight.

Fortnightly collections in nearby Brent ? Ha, good luck with that.