House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Where To Buy A Decent Chocolate Eclair

Real cream, real chocolate - not this fondant stuff - nice light pastry.

It is harder and harder to find a real, decent chocolate eclair nowadays. The supermarkets have all gone over to these machien produced things with chocolate fondant on the top.

Real cream, real chocolate - not this fondant stuff - nice light pastry.

It is harder and harder to find a real, decent chocolate eclair nowadays. The supermarkets have all gone over to these machien produced things with chocolate fondant on the top.

Ever tried making them? It's not nearly as difficult as a lot of people seem to think - I'd go so far as to say it's not difficult at all, though maybe a bit of a fiddle. I used to make a couple of dozen for my kids' school fairs, but then we lived in a place where you couldn't even get the fondant ones so they used to go like cold cakes. :)

You do need a proper piping thingy, and they might not turn out as geometrically perfect as any in the shops, but they'll taste fantastic and any friends/family you offer them to will be well impressed.

Can post recipe from my ancient 'bible' if you're interested. Turned out fine for me 1st time I ever tried.

I rarely read the off topic coz I have little interest in the usual subjects. This however is a really good topic.Its one of those things that has been missing from my life that I didnt know was missing. Nice one TMT.

I used to love eclairs and cream cookies.

I hate those supermarket things they call eclairs. Mrs Bear if you would please post the recipe and I will give it a go this weekend.

:)

I rarely read the off topic coz I have little interest in the usual subjects. This however is a really good topic.Its one of those things that has been missing from my life that I didnt know was missing. Nice one TMT.

I used to love eclairs and cream cookies.

I hate those supermarket things they call eclairs. Mrs Bear if you would please post the recipe and I will give it a go this weekend.

:)

Here you go: though my ancient 'bible' is all Imperial so you may have to 'translate'.

Eclairs

2 ½ oz choux paste (see below)

Whipped cream or flavoured custard

2 oz melted chocolate (I’d use a bit more!)

(Proper cooking (couverture) choc gives a glossy finish)

Oven temp, fairly hot, 200 C, mark 6

Choux paste:

2 oz butter

¼ pint milk and water mixed

2 ½ oz plain flour, sifted

2 eggs, beaten

Melt the butter in the milk and water and bring to boil. Remove from the heat and quickly tip in the flour all at once. Beat until a smooth paste is formed and then cook gently, stirring all the time, until the paste begins to leave the side of the pan and form a ball in the centre. Remove from the heat again and allow to cool slightly. Beat in the eggs gradually, adding just enough to give a smooth, glossy mixture of piping consistency. Cool, then use as required.

Method:

Put the choux paste into a forcing bag fitted with a plain round pipe of ½ inch diameter. Force in fingers 3 ½ - 4 inches long on to a baking tray, keeping the lengths very even and cutting the pastry off with a wet knife against the edge of the pipe. Bake towards the top of the oven for about 35 minutes until well risen and of a golden-brown colour. Remove from the tin, slit down the sides with a sharp pointed knife to allow the steam to escape and leave on a rack to cool. When the éclairs are cold, fill with whipped cream (use forcing bag to squirt it in) or custard, then dip the tops in melted chocolate. (Makes 10-12)

NB: Same recipe will also make profiteroles – just put small spoonfuls of the paste on to the

baking tray instead, slit and fill as before, pile in a bowl and pour melted choc or choc sauce over them.

Thanks Mrs. Bear.

The BHS in Swansea in the 1970s used to have a superb cream cake counter - all freshly made, all delicious.

They used to have these giant choux style 'buns' but which were basically giant chocolate eclairs but in a bun shape with a big pile of fresh cream on the inside and crisp dark chocolate on the top. Every time I see the pale fondant imitations in shops now my memory goes back to them.

I used to work in Ogmore Vale Bakery in the mid 80's (a young slip of a Saturday girl that I was). We had a lovely selection of cream cakes including eclairs and elephants feet. The best filling was confectioner's custard. Like a cream/custard combined.

Mrs Bear you are a wee dote.

I will make these on Sunday. Doesn't look too hard, must be explained well. I will update you with my results. Not much of a pudding maker or a baker to date but I'm all for trying.

Healthy eating programme on hold from Sunday :)

Mrs Bear you are a wee dote.

I will make these on Sunday. Doesn't look too hard, must be explained well. I will update you with my results. Not much of a pudding maker or a baker to date but I'm all for trying.

Healthy eating programme on hold from Sunday :)

Hope they turn out OK!

I'm actually pretty cr*p at ordinary cakes, but these always turned out well enough to sell at school fairs.

I used to work in Ogmore Vale Bakery in the mid 80's (a young slip of a Saturday girl that I was). We had a lovely selection of cream cakes including eclairs and elephants feet. The best filling was confectioner's custard. Like a cream/custard combined.

Christ on a bike I was going to name check OVB and Ferraris in response to TMT. Bridgend in the 90s for me though, you've both got a few years on me ;)

OVB for chelsea buns, Ferrari's for coffee choux buns. Yummy.

Hope they turn out OK!

I'm actually pretty cr*p at ordinary cakes, but these always turned out well enough to sell at school fairs.

Mrs Bear

Many thanks for posting this. Commercial cakes have so far declined in quality, that in many cases, with a small amount of effort, you can make far better things at home, and cheaper. Long ago, I made profiteroles to a similar recipe, and now they would only be matched by an expensive patisserie. You have reminded me of better days. Do you have a recipe for the British real custard, or as the French called it, crème anglaise?

Here you go: though my ancient 'bible' is all Imperial so you may have to 'translate'.

I always find things taste better in Imperial :)

Christ on a bike I was going to name check OVB and Ferraris in response to TMT. Bridgend in the 90s for me though, you've both got a few years on me ;)

OVB for chelsea buns, Ferrari's for coffee choux buns. Yummy.

When I saw that earlier post regards Ferrari's Fire I thought it was the cake shop. Didn't think anyone else would get it though.

Here's my slightly off topic contribution to the thread.....

FrenchLettuceVanillaSliceFeathered.jpg

oh my god....

Is that Mille-feuille?

Ever tried making them?

BF's mum does. And she made a russian sandwich too which was yummy (Sponge, iced with coconut on top) with confectioners custard in the middle.