House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlie The Tramp Returns

Nick Clegg`s Referendum Next Year

I will vote a definite no as I believe it will forever create Hung Parliaments which I fear will caused untold instability.

Even with PR the way it works to elect the Mayor of London still has voters losing their vote if finally the top two candidates are not their first or second preference.

IMHO fair PR would entail two ballots. After the top two candidates come through all voters go back to the polls to select their preference between the two.

I will vote a definite no as I believe it will forever create Hung Parliaments which I fear will caused untold instability.

Even with PR the way it works to elect the Mayor of London still has voters losing their vote if finally the top two candidates are not their first or second preference.

IMHO fair PR would entail 2 ballots. After the top two candidates come through all voters go back to the polls to select their preference between the two.

I would prefer the single transferable vote (STV) in multi-member constituencies. This gives a constituency link as well as proportionality, while removing the incentive for tactical voting.

Since that's not on offer, AV is better than the 'largest minority' system we currently have, where in 2005 13.9 million votes didn't count. (I have yet to do the 2010 figures). Only 1 in 3 MPs had a mandate from the voters. Even less if you count the eligible electorate.

(I have no party allegiance)

I dont see the point in voting for 'national' democracy when Clegg wants greater EU integration.

If he believes general elections still mean something he should give us a vote on getting out of the EU to keep it that way.

I dont see the point in voting for 'national' democracy when Clegg wants greater EU integration.

How much further can he take us when the EU control most aspects of our lives today but no one will admit it.

Maybe if he loses his Referendum he will have to do some serious thinking but like the EU he won`t take no for an answer.

Personally I think Clegg is a very dangerous two faced Politician seeking power at any cost to further his personal ambition, and Cameron needs to watch his back very carefully. ;)

I would prefer the single transferable vote (STV) in multi-member constituencies. This gives a constituency link as well as proportionality, while removing the incentive for tactical voting.

Since that's not on offer, AV is better than the 'largest minority' system we currently have, where in 2005 13.9 million votes didn't count. (I have yet to do the 2010 figures). Only 1 in 3 MPs had a mandate from the voters. Even less if you count the eligible electorate.

That's pretty much my stance- AV is better than 1st past the post, better than nothing, so I'll vote for it.

If he believes general elections still mean something he should give us a vote on getting out of the EU to keep it that way.

Why not join and canvas for UKIP then if you feel that strongly about it?

+1

Quite how anyone could disagree with this is beyond me.

Well done Mr. Lizard.

+1

Quite how anyone could disagree with this is beyond me.

Well done Mr. Lizard.

Why should everyone have the right to vote? Yes it sounds stupid but seriously how many people vote for an MP because that MP has historically voted for this they agree on?? I would wager more than 99.99% of votes are via prejudice or propaganda.

A true democracy (which would be easy today with the internet and the possibility of the public voting on every law to be passed) would be chaos. A representative democracy isn’t that great either, it mostly ends up with political parties making promises to win seats rather than running a country for the good of the country.

The best politics I so far know would be to have many politics within a country. I suppose a bit like the USA in that there are 50 states with 50 different laws and regulations. Say the UK was similar with 20 or so “states” or regions. That way you could actually move to express your views and beliefs. That is as best as I can see it

The best politics I so far know would be to have many politics within a country. I suppose a bit like the USA in that there are 50 states with 50 different laws and regulations. Say the UK was similar with 20 or so “states” or regions. That way you could actually move to express your views and beliefs. That is as best as I can see it

We already have this, it's called the EU.

I will vote Yes.

Coalitions work fine everywhere else, so the point about instability is bogus. Really, the Labour party is not a single party, nor the Tories. Just get it out in the open.

Problem is that coalition government is no better at dealing with the banksters.