House Price Crash Forum
OLDFTB

What The Hell Has Happened To The Property Boom?

Quote from a thread today on Brit Expatriates Website:

'We are desperate sellers now. No sensible offers since our last price reduction and virtually no viewings. We are multiple vendor and now have three boards outside our home.

We heard an advert on radio a little while ago, which said that a company would buy your home and then rent it back to you. We thought that we could use this route to sell our home but the company offered us £200k for the property!!!

I suspect that our dream of a new life in Australia is now just that - a dream.

Has anyone had any luck selling their houses? What the hell has happened to the property boom?'

Looks like their dreams are turning into sh*t doesn't it?

Guest muttley

Everytime I click on the ex-pat's site I get a pop-up for an IQ test.Do you think someone is trying to tell them something?

As I guess your wondering...

They guy who got an offer from a company for £200k, has an asking price of £275k (reduced from £305k).

Quote from a thread today on Brit Expatriates Website:

'We are desperate sellers now. No sensible offers since our last price reduction and virtually no viewings. We are multiple vendor and now have three boards outside our home.

We heard an advert on radio a little while ago, which said that a company would buy your home and then rent it back to you. We thought that we could use this route to sell our home but the company offered us £200k for the property!!!

I suspect that our dream of a new life in Australia is now just that - a dream.

Has anyone had any luck selling their houses? What the hell has happened to the property boom?'

Looks like their dreams are turning into sh*t doesn't it?

lolorama!

smegtards owned!

"This is getting ridiculous. We had an offer today at £240k!!! £35k less than the asking price which was in turn reduced from £305k!"

Try telling him there isn't a house price crash happening right now!

"This is getting ridiculous. We had an offer today at £240k!!! £35k less than the asking price which was in turn reduced from £305k!"

Try telling him there isn't a house price crash happening right now!

and in a few months it will be , "someones just offered 200K, why oh why didn't i accept 240K for it."

Yep they think you are stupid for not using Firefox!

how very true .............Firefox is the beeze knees ........tabbed browsing....ummmmmmmml you know it makes sense.

The Chuz....and in a few months it will be , "someones just offered 200K, why oh why didn't i accept 240K for it.

Yep that's the way housing corrections usually pan out.

It is still boyant in Scotland at the moment, I work for a corporate relocation company and sel employee's houses all over the UK and am sorry to say the market down south is dropping big time, I have been reducing my houses down your way accross the board for the last month, by 310 - £25K and still no offers, it seems there are no proceedable buyers and first time buyers and investors are not moving at all!!

No proceedable buyers? FTB's and investors not moving? One reason... prices are too high. One result... prices will continue fall.

At last - Someone talking sense!!!

I had my house on the market for 6 months (since nov) and hardly a sniff. In June I bit the bullet. I knocked off 15% from last years' prices ( based on the sale of an identical property last year in June). Within a week I had an offer and completed 2 weeks ago. At the time it made me sick to my stomach. My neighbour had made £000s more than me was my initial thought. Fairly juvenile I know, but that was the sentiment which had made me obstinately stick to my original price. But I bought in '99 and walked away with a very significant lump sum tax free. Despite selling the house for more than twice I bought it for I still, even now, occasionally regret the reduction. Which shames me given the amount of unearned tax free money I have accrued.

I'm not going abroad, but I've gone into rented accommodation. I don't know any of your personal circumstances (apart from what I have read on these boards) and it may be a 15% reduction on last years prices is not feasible, either because of anticipated costs on moving abroad, or perhaps too much mewing or debt, or perhaps you only recently bought. But to those of you who can afford it I recommend you trying it.

I sold up in Dec 2002 before moving down under - the bloke next door sold about 6 months before through the same estate agent who reported that buyers were already becoming thinner on the ground.

I reckon if I'd hung on it would be hard to find a buyer at any price as the market continues to fall - there are only two types of buyer now - those who need a bigger place.......and ill informed fools.

We just sold our house in West London - we got an offer of 20% below our asking price which we accepted as I think things are going to get worse - we didnt want to be sitting there 12 months down the line going "if only we'd taken the one offer we actually got......."

Still we made a big profit on the house from when we bought it in 1996 for just living in it - so how can we complain. Some hard pressed housebuyer in the UK will be paying for our good start in Oz for the next 25 years.

When the sh*t really hits the fan and people become distressed remember comments like this when you put in your offer. He is completly right.