House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

Dont Take The Train If Youre Disabled.

Obviously those of us with a bit of self respect wouldnt take the train with all the common hoi polloi anyway, but thats another matter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305662/Manchester-railway-staff-ignored-disabled-mans-pleas-wheelchair-ramp.html

I love how in all of these Youtube vigilante videos the first thing they say is its illegal to film me without my permission, then 20 seconds later they too emerge with a camera phone to do exactly the same thing. ALWAYS!!!!

Legal eagles they aint.

Guards and Train drivers are incredibly well paid, ticket staff/managers are sometimes afraid of them due to the political clout the have. Did you see the massive golden rings the guard had on. The guard got into a huff for some reason before the filming started, and then didn't want to back down and loose face. Guard seemed like a moody character, passenger wasn't helping things but from that clip guard looks like a right wazzac.

Im interested why the passenger said "did you see what happened to the driver before... he got sacked?" Which driver before?

But I will say still looks like guard fault looked like he guard had a problem, even if the passenger wasn't being helpful

More to this than meets the eye. The man in the chair I though was being rude and aggressive in his demands. Would like to see what had happened prior to the start of the video. Seems with the disabled mans reference to the 'other driver being sacked' there is some history here.

Train and tube drivers get 35k starting salary.

I should have become one and not wasted my time on a degree.

Highly transferable skill and we always need em. Wouldn't surprise me if the govt considers them to be "key workers" too.

Train and tube drivers get 35k starting salary.

I should have become one and not wasted my time on a degree.

Highly transferable skill and we always need em. Wouldn't surprise me if the govt considers them to be "key workers" too.

Always seems crazy to me when i see stagecoach bus adverts for drivers saying meets minimum wage.

A bus driver has to issue/collect tickets, deal with road rage, deal with customers, a train driver does none of this. Some are even found to be asleep at the wheel.

They have robot driven trains at stansted airport. If it werent for the unions we'd probably have robot trains across the country and be safer and cheaper for it.

The most ridiculous thing about this video is how the guy whips his camera out in the first place.

What has happened with the world? Every time you have a disagreement with someone, are they going to whip out their mobile phone and threaten to put it on Youtube for the world to see? It's ******in ridiculous.

Looks like the driver was unwilling to help while being filmed. I would do the same.

Did anybody who posted actually read the article?

"The train company involved, Northern Rail, have apologised to Mr Khaliq and launched an investigation. Peter Myers, a company spokesperson, said: 'We help anyone who needs assistance.

'That's why we have ramps on our trains and that why we have ramps at our stations too.

'I would like to apologise to Mr Khaliq because whatever has gone on he couldn't make his journey without hindrance and that's not right."

Anyone considering being a train driver needs to get real. Driverless trains are on their way. Boris is already pushing for them on the tube. It's inevitable. Like most gravy trains (pun intended) by the time people get wise to it, the train is pulling out of the station.

As for the video, very entertaining. I give it 3.5 stars.

Just because someone's in a wheelchair, doesn't mean they're not an obnoxious little *****.

It'll be interesting to know why a ramp wasn't produced though, and also why the staff couldn't just calmly offer a reason why on the spot. I imagine being filmed and taunted like that must be flabbergasting. But all the same, just give the guy his bloody ramp?

The most ridiculous thing about this video is how the guy whips his camera out in the first place.

What has happened with the world? Every time you have a disagreement with someone, are they going to whip out their mobile phone and threaten to put it on Youtube for the world to see? It's ******in ridiculous.

Looks like the driver was unwilling to help while being filmed. I would do the same.

I know. Gone are the days where people settled differences with a good old fashioned fistfight, now some nerd in a wheelchair whips out a mobile phone and starts detailing his whole life on youtube.

Anyone considering being a train driver needs to get real. Driverless trains are on their way. Boris is already pushing for them on the tube. It's inevitable. Like most gravy trains (pun intended) by the time people get wise to it, the train is pulling out of the station.

They already have them.

The tube trains on the Central line are fully automatic. Other lines will be too, once electronic signals are installed.

However, due to union pressure, drivers are still employed on full salary to 'drive' these trains. In essence, their job consists of waiting for the doors to be clear of passengers, then pressing the green button - which closes the doors and starts the train. It then proceeds automatically to the next station and opens the doors. The computer even automatically adjusts the speed of the train and advises the driver of how long to wait at each station in order to keep to the timetable. The trains could be operated in 'full auto' mode, or triggered by a hand-held remote by platform staff - it's just that this was deemed unacceptable. I've seen plenty of central line drivers chatting on their mobiles on the above ground sections. I've even seen one, texting on their crackberry with their feet up on the console, as the train rolled-up to a perfect stop at the platform at White City.

The Docklands Light Railway, by contrast has fully automatic driverless trains - however, a guard is present within the passenger compartment of is present of each train. It was planned that they would be completely unstaffed and remotely monitored - but again, pressure from the RMT forced TFL to employ a guard for each train.