House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Calls To Stop The Word 'junkie'

We should become dumb mutes, with fines for looking at someone in the wrong way.

I'm deeply hurt and offended by the way you're ignoring me :blink:

[edit to add] But isn't that the inevitable outcome of all political correctness? The perpetual fear of giving offence (particularly in the presence of any attractive lady), and worst of all the trouble you can get into merely by wishing "good morning" to a child. Thank goodness for dogs, where basic social interaction isn't totally taboo (though alas even a dog can be in trouble for talking to strangers).

I'm deeply hurt and offended by the way you're ignoring me :blink:

[edit to add] But isn't that the inevitable outcome of all political correctness? The perpetual fear of giving offence (particularly in the presence of any attractive lady), and worst of all the trouble you can get into merely by wishing "good morning" to a child. Thank goodness for dogs, where basic social interaction isn't totally taboo (though alas even a dog can be in trouble for talking to strangers).

Indeed. What if you just smile to a child because you see them do something that makes you think and laugh (as kids do)? You can be accused of being a paedo perhaps?

Problem is that these fools do not understand addiction.

I think you all know that I am an alcoholic in recovery.

Nobody will give up until they it rock bottom. So, the sooner they reach it the better.

Being 'nice' to them is a grievous sin. It is known as enabling. (ie enables them to continue with their addiction)

Denial, self justification and self righteousness are very strong in addicts. Most will not admit they have a problem.

Calling them 'Junkies' etc. will not harm them, and if it helps them to see themselves as others see them, it might dent their sense of denial.

I just hate these self appointed 'do gooders' who blunder around causing more damage .

Nobody will give up until they it rock bottom. So, the sooner they reach it the better.

Being 'nice' to them is a grievous sin. It is known as enabling. (ie enables them to continue with their addiction)

Denial, self justification and self righteousness are very strong in addicts. Most will not admit they have a problem.Calling them 'Junkies' etc. will not harm them, and if it helps them to see themselves as others see them, it might dent their sense of denial.

I just hate these self appointed 'do gooders' who blunder around causing more damage .

Full of good sense. Best of luck to you, Byron.

Denial, self justification and self righteousness are very strong in addicts. Most will not admit they have a problem.

Calling them 'Junkies' etc. will not harm them, and if it helps them to see themselves as others see them, it might dent their sense of denial.

Lots of people give up before rock bottom. They just don't tend to be the stories you hear. An addict has to realise for themselves that there is a better way, and people can realise this at all stages of addiction or not at all