House Price Crash Forum
Laura

Our Daily Debt. A Blog From The Courts

Not seen this link posted here? - Thxs to 'borassic' on GEI for finding it.

The link is to May, which will probably irritate you the most

http://ourdailydebt.wordpress.com/2010/05/

Mortgage possession claim. Husband and wife with four children living in a house bought on a £120,000 mortgage three years ago. They built up huge arrears – £20,000 – and now owe close to £150,000 (same as the value given in a recent drive-by evaluation). Plus the land register shows several charging orders on the property. Sigh.

What are they going to do about it? In the Court waiting area I met their friend from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau, who told me that their income every month is £2540, with monthly outgoings of £2491. It’s expensive rearing children.

Hang on – their monthly earned income is £1285, so where does the rest come from? Monthly child benefit: £255. Monthly child tax credit: £1000.

Rough calculation of total yearly income: £30,480. Amount paid by the state: £15,060. Still they couldn’t get by and had to keep borrowing.

Luckily, the local housing authority is considering a place for them on the Mortgage Rescue Scheme, which will allow them to mortgage to rent. In other words, they get to stay in their home after it’s been converted into a council house, paying secured tenure council-level rent. Except the home will end up in the ownership of a helpful (yet privileged) Registered Social Landlord. And of course the reckless lender gets a bailout … again.

They better hurry up, because the possession order was granted.

What’s wrong with this? The excessive debt? Heard it before. Lenders benefiting at the expense of the taxpayer? It’s been done. A family soaking up benefits equivalent to the take-home pay of a worker on the average wage? Change the channel, Marge!

Social Justice has been a mantra over the past decade, but where’s the justice in this? What about people who really do work, who pay taxes and plan to raise families in decent homes – how do they survive this insane redistribution of their wealth?

:rolleyes:

Though, TBF, how much of the income 'paid by the state' had been taken from their 'earned income' by the state? Not £15K, but it's still a sizeable chunk.

Edited by mitchbux

Changed my mind, this one really got to me. http://ourdailydebt.wordpress.com/2010/03/09/blairs-babes/

Two mortgage possession claims, one heard right after the other, before the same judge.

In each case the borrowers were a young unmarried couple who had had a child and split up. The mother remained in occupation of the mortgaged home with the dependant child while the father went off and rented elsewhere with money earned from working. They could not afford to cover the monthly instalment and were willing to admit it.

So much for the similarities. Now the differences …

In the first case we had Jack Spratt and his wife: both in their twenties, he thin and angular; she plump, well scrubbed, a bit bossy. She works 35 hours a week, with minimal child tax credits (£50 per month – on top of child benefit, of course) on an income of about £20k. Tough gig to raise a four year old child on your own when you work hard. The father had moved to London and works a 60 hour week. His weekends are spent travelling 300 miles on a round trip to stay in touch with the child.

Decent people, willing to make the effort. The CAB had advised the mother to walk to work, eat baked beans, surrender possession of the house, and ultimately declare bankruptcy before throwing herself upon the state. When I spoke with them in a consultation room just before the hearing, she was appalled at the advice and yet threw up her hands and said, “I should sign on for benefits. I’ll be just as well off.” The father – quiet up to that point – found this painful and said, “What sort of a country is this? What’s the point in working?”

“Dunno,” I said. “It’s ******ed up.” Nothing more to say. We went into court and the possession order was granted: 28 days to surrender before the bailiffs appointment is made.

In the second case the father was another quiet man – slightly younger, same demeanour, same build. But the mother … hehehe. The tits, the tight dress, the flash of crotch as she crossed her legs and snuggled up to her new, supportive boyfriend. But she had a business look in her eyes – damn sure she wasn’t going to consent to the possession order … the commisar in the local authority had informed her that she’d have problems otherwise in qualifying for their “at risk” housing list.

“And,” she declared with a toss of her fine auburn hair, “I’m going bankrupt next week anyway.” Winning smile. Great, just super: £60k of credit card debt goes up in a puff of taxpayer smoke, and the father is left with the shortfall on the mortgage.

Into court, possession order made on the same terms as the first case. The mother said to the judge with a giggle, “I’ve been told not to consent, although I do really”. Father was silent. The judge dealt with it as she was bound to, and the hearing was over. As I gathered my bundle of papers the mother stood up and left, but before the door of the court had closed we all heard her cry WooHoo!

Five minutes later I was outside having a smoke, ready to go back in and type up the days reports before the afternoon session. The mother walked out of the building, arm in arm with her boyfriend. I watched them go and thought, “Sucker”. Then the father walked out, saw me, and asked what he could expect.

“You’ll have a copy of the order from the court in a few days.” He looked a bit lost, so I gave him a hint: “You do know you bear full liability for the judgment, on your own?”

“Yeah.” Sigh. “My father’s a financial adviser. And I spoke with a solicitor. They reckoned there was nothing I could do. She was supposed to make the payments after we split up, but it was all lies. She’s not a very nice person.”

“So what will she do with the boyfriend?”

“He’s the reason we split up.”

“And where does she go from here?”

“Benefits.”

“Nice. Twenty grand a year.”

“She’s pregnant again.”

“Ah, twenty five grand a year.”

Babes!

:rolleyes:

Though, TBF, how much of the income 'paid by the state' had been taken from their 'earned income' by the state? Not £15K, but it's still a sizeable chunk.

I'd like to thank your children, in advance, for bailing them out.

Madness.

I should of had kids.

That said, there was a piece on the BBC this morning about a mum who wanted to go back to work. Childcare costs would be £800 per month :o so she is fortunate as her mum can take it on. But now we are all to be forced to work until we are 72, Granma won't be around to provide free childcare. We truly are in a world oof sh!t.

Madness.

I should of had kids.

That said, there was a piece on the BBC this morning about a mum who wanted to go back to work. Childcare costs would be £800 per month :o so she is fortunate as her mum can take it on. But now we are all to be forced to work until we are 72, Granma won't be around to provide free childcare. We truly are in a world oof sh!t.

You will be in a world of sh!t if you have children. You made the right decision.

You will be in a world of sh!t if you have children. You made the right decision.

Well where's my tax credits? What do I need to do to help myself to my money?

Well where's my tax credits? What do I need to do to help myself to my money?

Lift your head up and look forward. They may look like they are sitting pretty right now. Just wait.

Lift your head up and look forward. They may look like they are sitting pretty right now. Just wait.

I am thinking of signing on again on Thursday. The best thing about this is I can avoid my last sign on time I got of 10am on Monday, dashed inconvenient. I am getting wised up pretty quickly.

Madness.

I should of had kids.

That said, there was a piece on the BBC this morning about a mum who wanted to go back to work. Childcare costs would be £800 per month  :o  so she is fortunate as her mum can take it on. But now we are all to be forced to work until we are 72, Granma won't be around to provide free childcare. We truly are in a world oof sh!t.

At least you have that option. As a single bloke who was stupid enough to SAVE my money and once again, out of work, I receive NOTHING. I've apparently had my measly 6 month entitlement so now I'm expected to pay FOR MYSELF (after I've been in employment for several years). The thing to do is to have nothing, then you get everything and not expected to work. For me, I am expected to get back into work, get ******ing TAXED to pay for the tossers who will never work and I'll get nothing. Obviously the philosophy is flogg the living horse, the dead one is no good.

The entire system has been set up to cover up the transfer of jobs and wealth to the east.

The quid pro quo was the rapid expansion of credit (debt) by the govt. via the banksters to attempt to cover up the rather obvious fact that we are being sytematically impoverished by their plans.

There's really little point blaming the poor for having to top up their incomes with recycled Chinese money, when without it the curtain would be pulled back to reveal what's been going on.

Of course, when the punters could no longer service their debts (which in prior decades was called wages) it all blew apart.

Blaming those on low earnings or no earnings is really missing the point entirely (although I understand it won't ever persuade the hard money mob to do so).

ALL our 'earnings' are being re-distributed - to the Chindian, and by extension glow ball corporatist uber elites. Steve and Sharon down the road on benefits really are not responsible. Trust me on this.

the first one. thats a 10 times earnings loan.

course, there is no sub prime in the UK.

The entire system has been set up to cover up the transfer of jobs and wealth to the east.

The quid pro quo was the rapid expansion of credit (debt) by the govt. via the banksters to attempt to cover up the rather obvious fact that we are being sytematically impoverished by their plans.

There's really little point blaming the poor for having to top up their incomes with recycled Chinese money, when without it the curtain would be pulled back to reveal what's been going on.

Of course, when the punters could no longer service their debts (which in prior decades was called wages) it all blew apart.

Blaming those on low earnings or no earnings is really missing the point entirely (although I understand it won't ever persuade the hard money mob to do so).

ALL our 'earnings' are being re-distributed - to the Chindian, and by extension glow ball corporatist uber elites. Steve and Sharon down the road on benefits really are not responsible. Trust me on this.

There grand parents are for winning the world wars and creating the british empire, the reason we are loosing are wealth is because we are 'richer', it will only stop when wages have been levelled. Edited by AteMoose

I'd like to thank your children, in advance, for bailing them out.

I'm not trying to defend their stupidity in taking on a mortgage they couldn't pay back, just making a point about their 'state' income.

To be getting that level of CTC they will both be working full time, and paying a horrendous amount for childcare (which has VAT on it).

Work all the hours you can, never see your kids, and for what? To line a bankers pocket with your recycled taxes. Even in rented accomodation, and with a fairly frugal lifestyle, these two couldn't afford to have kids without them both working and getting help from the state!

Be a childminder. You get paid to nap in the afternoon (A friend told me!)

I went with my bro and his little boy to a kids' play centre and noticed that we were amongst only a handful of blokes. There were also a group of 'professional' childminders there with a group of kids and yep they were all women.I noticed that they all just sat there, 'txt-ing' on their mobiles, eating crap food and talking $hit amongst one another. I realised that that is a perfect job for a lot of women.

Sit on your **** all day, stuff your face with chocolate and talk $hit (whether it be 'txting' or aural) and get PAID for it. AND no doubt get some sort of income support. Bloody marvellous job for a lot of women.

If a bloke tried to become a childminder he'd be down as a kiddy-fiddler straight away. Still, maybe one day we could hope to see schemes and initiatives to get blokes into jobs 'traditionally' done by women, similar to schemes like 'women in science' or 'women in engineering'. Then again I doubt it. Positive discrimination is allowed if it's against blokes.  :)

I'm not trying to defend their stupidity in taking on a mortgage they couldn't pay back, just making a point about their 'state' income.

To be getting that level of CTC they will both be working full time, and paying a horrendous amount for childcare (which has VAT on it).

Work all the hours you can, never see your kids, and for what? To line a bankers pocket with your recycled taxes. Even in rented accomodation, and with a fairly frugal lifestyle, these two couldn't afford to have kids without them both working and getting help from the state!

Now they are forcing mothers into work, it is so blatant, I despair.

At least you have that option. As a single bloke who was stupid enough to SAVE my money and once again, out of work, I receive NOTHING.

Yep. You're where I was sometime after the paying work ended in mid-1998, living off your savings.

Just take care you don't try anything rash like start your own business doing something interesting and worthwhile, or you could end up where I was in 2002-3 when the savings had run out and they still refused me income support.

I ask myself that everyday. I want to 'qualify' for benefits. I want my piece of 'da $hit' !

We should team up briefly and rent a baby. I could also kneecap you and get you some incap, and extra bennies for me as your carer. Oh, we would have to get the flat redone as well, for your wheelchair.

(nb. I have no issue with those in genuine need, and appreciate the huge efforts many carers have to make without support)

Edited by Tonkers

I went with my bro and his little boy to a kids' play centre and noticed that we were amongst only a handful of blokes. There were also a group of 'professional' childminders there with a group of kids and yep they were all women.I noticed that they all just sat there, 'txt-ing' on their mobiles, eating crap food and talking $hit amongst one another. I realised that that is a perfect job for a lot of women.

Sit on your **** all day, stuff your face with chocolate and talk $hit (whether it be 'txting' or aural) and get PAID for it. AND no doubt get some sort of income support. Bloody marvellous job for a lot of women.

If a bloke tried to become a childminder he'd be down as a kiddy-fiddler straight away. Still, maybe one day we could hope to see schemes and initiatives to get blokes into jobs 'traditionally' done by women, similar to schemes like 'women in science' or 'women in engineering'. Then again I doubt it. Positive discrimination is allowed if it's against blokes.  :)

I know a male childminder, he had no more problem getting registered than a woman.

I know a male childminder, he had no more problem getting registered than a woman.

Good. There'll always be some who can break a 'glass ceiling'.

There's a problem with perception with men and kiddies. My walk from home to the supermarket takes me on a path past a school. Once I went that way in the morning as the kiddies were arriving, and got dirty looks and questions from an officious person 'protecting' them. This sort of thing as an anecdote may have little significance, but the weight of small anecdotes adds up to a very difficult environment.

We should team up briefly and rent a baby. I could also kneecap you and get you some incap, and extra bennies for me as your carer. Oh, we would have to get the flat redone as well, for your wheelchair.

(nb. I have no issue with those in genuine need, and appreciate the huge efforts many carers have to make without support)

Can't you buy them nowadays?

You provide the jizz and some woman incubates another's egg. I believe it costs, but not the earth. You should see if it's cost effective to do it this way. There's no woman allowed to run off with the piggy bank (sorry child) when you go your separate ways. You could then claim for all the benefits you are missing out on.