House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HPCbeliever

Deposit Retrun And Carpet Damage

I made a mark on the carpet of the house I am moving out fo today. It is quite a significant mark (I split some dirty wwater and then made it worse by using a lot of carpet cleaner. However, the carpet is a standrad carpet put in by builders ona new build and is 12 years old. I went to a carpet shop and they said that a carpet in the hallway should have a lifespan of 7 years and up to 10 for a wool carpet (although that would mark more). Am I correct in thinking that using the ALRA's betterment calcultauons that my cost is £0 because the carpet is already older than what could be described as its useful life?

I would have thought it depends on the state of the carpet. If the house has been used hard in the 12 years, then you have a strong case. If the carpet is (was) in perfect condition, then the landlord has a case. The carpet in my spare room is probably 20 years old - because it is hardly used, it is in perfect condition and I'd be livid if someone trashed it.

It all depends on what condition it was in at the start of your tenancy.

You can't simply use the age of an item as a way of avoiding responsibility for its damage.

It all depends on what condition it was in at the start of your tenancy.

You can't simply use the age of an item as a way of avoiding responsibility for its damage.

Scenario: you move in to a newly-redecorated place. The lifetime of the carpets is 7 years fair wear and tear. You stay there 7 years.

How much refund should it be worth if you vacate it in such good condition that the landlord doesn't have to redecorate for the next tenant?

It might be considered 'fair wear and tear'. I wouldn't worry about it until its time to leave, then see what they try and steal from you before deciding if you need to respond to them.