House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
luckygirl

North Herts - Blatant Greed Continues!

My patience is really wearing thin. I want to move. I am a motivated mover. We are lucky enough to have the where-with-all to go for it.......but ASKING PRICES ARE BLOODY RIDICULOUS!!!

I have found a great example this very evening that goes to show that it's not just my imagination. A house - let's call it house A - in a nice village, fairly modern - on with one agent (spit <<ping>>) since early June for £585k. A second agent (spit <<ping>>) has now been instructed and has very kindly e-mailed me a 'heads-up'. I check it out.....lo & behold do I discover another house (house B) built in another cosy cul-de-sac adjoining that of the aforementioned house A, built by, what looks like, the same builders to an almost identical plan and with a subtly larger plot which was on the market and sold last summer (LR date Oct'09). House B was sold through the same second agent (spit <<ping>>) - although different physical office - as has kindly offered me house A. Guess what - the asking price for house B was £495k, and it sold for £465k.

So, I asked myself - and have indeed queried the agent (spit <<ping>>) - where is the £120k of 'added value'?? Do they not know that all this data is out there? Or do sheeple with half a million burning a hole in their back pockets not bother checking out the data?

As you can imagine I am FURIOUS with this bloody stupid market. Plenty on, nothing I would want to buy within my "budget". I don't want to benefit from someone's repo hell in a couple of years time, I just want to buy a nice family home, but wish the market was in the hands of actual professionals!!

and breathe........ok, off for a small sherry now......................

[bull or Bear?:- bloody Rottweiller]

Edited by luckygirl

My patience is really wearing thin. I want to move. I am a motivated mover. We are lucky enough to have the where-with-all to go for it.......but ASKING PRICES ARE BLOODY RIDICULOUS!!!

I have found a great example this very evening that goes to show that it's not just my imagination. A house - let's call it house A - in a nice village, fairly modern - on with one agent (spit <<ping>>) since early June for £585k. A second agent (spit <<ping>>) has now been instructed and has very kindly e-mailed me a 'heads-up'. I check it out.....lo & behold do I discover another house (house B) built in another cosy cul-de-sac adjoining that of the aforementioned house A, built by, what looks like, the same builders to an almost identical plan and with a subtly larger plot which was on the market and sold last summer (LR date Oct'09). House B was sold through the same second agent (spit <<ping>>) - although different physical office - as has kindly offered me house A. Guess what - the asking price for house B was £495k, and it sold for £465k.

So, I asked myself - and have indeed queried the agent (spit <<ping>>) - where is the £120k of 'added value'?? Do they not know that all this data is out there? Or do sheeple with half a million burning a hole in their back pockets not bother checking out the data?

As you can imagine I am FURIOUS with this bloody stupid market. Plenty on, nothing I would want to buy within my "budget". I don't want to benefit from someone's repo hell in a couple of years time, I just want to buy a nice family home, but wish the market was in the hands of actual professionals!!

and breathe........ok, off for a small sherry now......................

[bull or Bear?:- bloody Rottweiller]

I think there may be surprising numbers of people out there who've never heard of nethouseprices.

Including, not long ago, one of my colleagues.

Once enlightened, she spent a very happy half hour having a good old nose about what her neighbours' houses had sold for. :)

I think there may be surprising numbers of people out there who've never heard of nethouseprices.

Including, not long ago, one of my colleagues.

Once enlightened, she spent a very happy half hour having a good old nose about what her neighbours' houses had sold for. :)

YES NETHOUSEPRICES IS GREAT. EVERYONE SHOULD VISIT IT NOW. OR EVEN RIGHTMOVE, WHICH SHOWS SOLD PRICES BY POSTCODE FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS. DO NOT MOVE A MUSCLE WITHOUT THE INFO!!

To Luckygirl I say, just offer what you want to pay. The Vendor can only say NO. I would not offer anything more than 25% off asking price.

Edited by plummet expert

These type of house price increases are speculative moves by greedy idiots. Only when the tabloid press consistently banners index price falls for several months will they get the point, and get real.

There is a bungalow near me sold 12/07 (absolute peak) which has reappeared for sale with a £65K increase in price over what it was bought for. There is nothing you can do to a bungalow, other than a solid gold front door, which can justify this.

It's been said on here before that it takes 10 seconds to convince someone their house has gone up in value, and 10 months to convince them it's gone down.

It's the way people are. Greedy, stubborn and unrealistic.

It's been said on here before that it takes 10 seconds to convince someone their house has gone up in value, and 10 months to convince them it's gone down.

It's the way people are. Greedy, stubborn and unrealistic.

So true, on both statements.

So, I asked myself - and have indeed queried the agent - where is the £120k of 'added value'?? Do they not know that all this data is out there? Or do sheeple with half a million burning a hole in their back pockets not bother checking out the data?

This happens regularly around the £500k price point. The vendor wants to get a bit over £500k, say £525k, but because of the tax break point they post an asking price that's well over the break point, They know that if they asked £525k, any opening offers would all be under £500k, at least this way they hope that initial offers would come in at £525k or above.

Of course, given the way the markets moving right now, they're absolutely wrong, and they'll be very lucky to get £500k let alone £525k. Just give it time!