House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Florida Paradise Lost

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/floridaparadiselost/week34/default.html

This is priceless:

"Florida is universally known as the Sunshine State so it’s unsurprising that many British holidaymakers want to stay there for good. This programme looks at the highs and lows for some of the almost half a million Brits who have made Florida their home in the past thirty years.

While ex pats are chasing the dream of making their fortune in the sun, the insecurity of the strict visa requirements means even Brits who’ve lived in the US for years can find themselves being sent home. On top of this, fierce competition in recession-hit businesses and expensive medical treatment can lead to financial devastation. "

This bit is pricesless though....

"Some Brits can make it work for them. Janet Southern and her partner John have spent the last 10 years buying and selling property in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Janet says: “John bought this house ten years ago for $475,000, he dropped the house and completely re-built it and sold it for, how much did you sell it for babe?... 2.2 million dollars. Whoa, how good is that!” "

Yip, property is the way to free money !!! No point working when you can have it for free.

I thought Florida had been killed in the property collapse ????

Can someone watch this and tell us if it's a good time to invest in Florida real estate ?

Ta.

Janet says: “John bought this house ten years ago for $475,000, he dropped the house and completely re-built it and sold it for, how much did you sell it for babe?... 2.2 million dollars. Whoa, how good is that!” "

Yip, property is the way to free money !!! No point working when you can have it for free.

Ever built a house or project managed a construction? Try it and then tell me it's not work.

Ever built a house or project managed a construction? Try it and then tell me it's not work.

I built my own house. I dont mean I supervised the construction done by other people, I mean I built it. From the foundations, which I dug by hand, to the roof, which I constructed myself, and everything in between. Walls, plastering, electrics, plumbing, heating (except connections).

I can say with conviction that that during the three years it took, I worked harder, physically and mentally, than at any other time of my life.

Free money it 'aint.

Yes, building is definately work...real estate buying and selling it more...leeching though.

Building though not really deserving of a massive financial reward, it's a basic job people have been doing for centuries. It's well understood and the eastern european peaseants that came to the U.K. showed how easy,how well and how cheaply it could actually be done.

It's not rocket science digging a hole in some mud, chucking in some concerete, putting up a few walls, a floor, lots of cables, some pipes, etc. So hardly worth a reward of millions of dollars.

Though the plastering must be a bit of a pig if you've not done it before, i'd get someone else in to do that bit :D:D:D:D

It's time the skilled workers that can take the UK forward into the world markets with innovation and skill are rewarded, not some ovber-priced brickies being rewarded for pricing out people from affordable homes and an affordable future.

P.S. I take of my hat to the Architects that design some of the buildings we see.

P.P.S. I dont take my hat off to the Architects of the leading house building companies who seem happy to build s***ty badly designed houses. I have often suspected it's the bloke who runs the companies half drunk wifie that does the design work.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Ive projected managed a renovation, ranks all the way up there with supply teaching inner city land ;)

(had a few bad contractors though).

Yes, building is definately work...real estate buying and selling it more...leeching though.

Building though not really deserving of a massive financial reward, it's a basic job people have been doing for centuries. It's well understood and the eastern european peaseants that came to the U.K. showed how easy,how well and how cheaply it could actually be done.

It's not rocket science digging a hole in some mud, chucking in some concerete, putting up a few walls, a floor, lots of cables, some pipes, etc. So hardly worth a reward of millions of dollars.

Though the plastering must be a bit of a pig if you've not done it before, i'd get someone else in to do that bit :D:D:D:D

It's time the skilled workers that can take the UK forward into the world markets with innovation and skill are rewarded, not some ovber-priced brickies being rewarded for pricing out people from affordable homes and an affordable future.

P.S. I take of my hat to the Architects that design some of the buildings we see.

P.P.S. I dont take my hat off to the Architects of the leading house building companies who seem happy to build s***ty badly designed houses. I have often suspected it's the bloke who runs the companies half drunk wifie that does the design work.

I wont try to deny your right to attempt to belittle the efforts of those who have actually built a house. Quite frankly, I think you comments about digging a hole and chucking some concrete in etc, say more about you than they do about (for example) me. You seem to have forgotten the planning and knowledge required. You also seem to have forgotten that without house builders, overpriced or otherwise, there would be no housing at all.

One of the problems of our society today, IMHO, is that those with basic skills are looked down upon. Taking the UK forward with innovation and skill is a great prospect, but not everyone can, or should, be trying to do that.

Incidentally, I am not an overpriced brickie. For a number of years I was the payroll manager of a large company in London, a complex job with strict deadlines. I know which type of work is more demanding, and its not the latter.

Cheers.

I built my own house. I dont mean I supervised the construction done by other people, I mean I built it. From the foundations, which I dug by hand, to the roof, which I constructed myself, and everything in between. Walls, plastering, electrics, plumbing, heating (except connections).

I can say with conviction that that during the three years it took, I worked harder, physically and mentally, than at any other time of my life.

Free money it 'aint.

agreed. having physically built a few extensions from the mud up, i am happy to leave it to the young pups on her who think its a doddle to make money from a bit of diy.