House Price Crash Forum

Tips For Buying A House?

HOLA441

It seems to me many on here are planning to buy a house in the UK when the time is right. Lets ignore for now, that UK property may never reach a fair price if you think the country is in permanent decline. And instead focus the forum's considerable expertise on what kind of property to look for.

For what it's worth the only genuinely good "tips" I've been given are:

- Buy the worst property on the best street, rather than the best property on the worst street.

- At the bottom of the market land will have declined much more in percentage terms than houses. Therefore it might make sense to buy a property with additional land / potential building plot.

* The smell of fresh bread, twigs in vases, and manolia paint are "no-brainers" and do not need to be discussed here.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

My advice is find someone who needs to sell and can afford to sell cheap.  Lemon faced babyboomers will hang on to the highest valuation mentioned in passing by an estate agent for dear life, whilst builders who had to part exchange a property in order to sell one of the new creations will probably keener to offload at a discount - though make sure they haven't just done the deal and put both halves through at inflated prices.

HOLA445

It seems to me many on here are planning to buy a house in the UK when the time is right. Lets ignore for now, that UK property may never reach a fair price if you think the country is in permanent decline. And instead focus the forum's considerable expertise on what kind of property to look for.

- Buy the worst property on the best street, rather than the best property on the worst street.

- At the bottom of the market land will have declined much more in percentage terms than houses. Therefore it might make sense to buy a property with additional land / potential building plot.

* The smell of fresh bread, twigs in vases, and manolia paint are "no-brainers" and do not need to be discussed here.

make sure it has a roof and walls, i know this seems obvious but youd be suprised how many buyers forget to check

HOLA446

I never really understood this one either. It's the inhabitants that determine if the street is 'good' or 'bad' and over a relatively short period of time, you can get a few 'bad apples' that can make a street turn out bloody awful.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Quiet road, available parking close by, good public transport buses and trains, post office and local store, open space/park close by, garden/outside space, nice neighbours that take pride in their community, good schools.....close to work or within half an hour traveling......once the location is right you can make the house how you like it, but something older solidly built with character on a road and not on an estate will be easier to sell .....they don't make them how they used to ;)

HOLA4412

and wait... and wait.. and wait.

Then one day realise that you've wasted your whole life.

Thats a bit dramatic, I wouldn't say, not owning your own home in your life time was a waste of life. I think being a dept slave is thou. It's going to take people like me who arn't willing to be ripped off to get this market to change directions.

HOLA4413

A sought after location is the most important factor of all. You can usually change a house, but not where it is. You may pay a little more, but you can always resell when you need to. Some main roads I know of, are virtually sale free zones at any price. Be very careful if you don't know the area as a 'bargain' could well be something else.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Go on A Place in the Sun: Home or Away. You get 2 presenters to find a house for you, one of which is not a bad looker ;) I'm assuming you get paid for the holiday & to be on TV as well. Saves having to do all the leg work. Etc. Wouldn't go on LLL personally as I find the presenters annoying, and you don't get any holiday. Worth a try B)

HOLA4416

Go on A Place in the Sun: Home or Away. You get 2 presenters to find a house for you, one of which is not a bad looker ;) I'm assuming you get paid for the holiday & to be on TV as well. Saves having to do all the leg work. Etc. Wouldn't go on LLL personally as I find the presenters annoying, and you don't get any holiday. Worth a try B)

Many of them don't look like they have any intention of buying, they are only there to make a programme or there for the beer/beano. ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Don't stress yourself over it is the best advice I've heard.

I took it to mean find a house you want to live in, pay the price you think is acceptable and enjoy living there. If you're not prepared to pay the price then find a home to rent and enjoy living there instead.

Don't worry about the details as what you consider important will probably change over time. If you are trying to protect your financial investment then the traditional factors of schools, work etc should mean others in the future wanting to buy it off you... no guarantee on the price though.

HOLA4419

Find one in probate, you'd be surprised how quick the family members want to get hold of that cash and will do a deal fast. I went to look at a sizeable house in Clipston that was up for £900k, they accepted £600k. (I wasn't the buyer)

Edited by exiges

HOLA4420

and wait... and wait.. and wait.

Then one day realise that you've wasted your whole life.

You know I've heard it's legal to have a career, kids, friends etc. whilst living in rented accomodation.

Of course you don't have the luxury of paying for all repairs, or worrying about whether mortgage rates will rise, or whether prices will fall/you'll be stuck in negative equity - but hey, you can't have it all. :D

HOLA4421

Not on main road.

Not on bottom of hill

Not on corner of road

Preferably driveway

Not in a BTL/Student area or in are that has potential to be one

My tip would be to ignore all the housing programmes and take all the compromises you are willing to make such as on a main road or next to a train line, in an unfashionable area which may take a while to get to work but the chances are it will be these compromises which will mean you are paying a much fairer price than trying to "tick all your wish list boxes."

This also means your time as a wage slave will be reduced compared to buying a nicer house in a quiet cul-de-sac in a sought after area with the possibility of stil having the mortgage post retirement.

M