House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Executive Sadman

He's Dead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305336/Man-dies-trying-leap-30ft-Cornwall-harbour-Rover-hatchback.html

I guess we should be glad it was just him, not the usual nova loaded up with half a dozen 13/14 year old chavettes.

A 20-year-old was killed in a ‘Starsky and Hutch’-style stunt trying to jump 30ft across a harbour in his car.

No fracking handrail or warning signs or a safety net.....heads should roll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305336/Man-dies-trying-leap-30ft-Cornwall-harbour-Rover-hatchback.html

I guess we should be glad it was just him, not the usual nova loaded up with half a dozen 13/14 year old chavettes.

A 20-year-old was killed in a ‘Starsky and Hutch’-style stunt trying to jump 30ft across a harbour in his car.

Darwinism.

No fracking handrail or warning signs or a safety net.....heads should roll.

Hmmm... the article says:

She said: ‘I could see a car going forwards and backwards into a chain preventing access to the harbourside.

'I ran back into the pub to get help before returning to the scene. The car was accelerating violently.

'It made a final run at the chain and this time made it through.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305336/Man-dies-trying-leap-30ft-Cornwall-harbour-Rover-hatchback.html#ixzz0xQy5K5lE

If he planned it better, say bought a ramp and did some maths for the required speed vs angle he might have made it...

More than a few times I have found myself in mid air still sat on the bike thinking oops..

One time was in France near Champagne the road was so boring and straight I took it, erm quickly..... I hit a nasty bump in the road and the engine tone changed.

That is designed for maximum impact during a crash which leaves the driver intact and the others spread over the area

otherwise the mass is too low to enable full impact force with low powered hatchbacks.

I can't help thinking if he had started constructing a ramp after pint 6, removed the chain and continued up to pint 10

then made the attempt it would have gone a lot better.

If he planned it better, say bought a ramp and did some maths for the required speed vs angle he might have made it...

More than a few times I have found myself in mid air still sat on the bike thinking oops..

One time was in France near Champagne the road was so boring and straight I took it, erm quickly..... I hit a nasty bump in the road and the engine tone changed.

If he tried a Dukes of Hazard jump, then he probably would have made it.

I once hit a railway bridge at 80mph at night and took off for about 50 metres.This guy was a sort of Catch 22 though.If he had been bright enough to work out the dynamics he wouldn't have been doing it.

+1. Too thick to live.

Rubbish. How would mankind advance if people weren't prepared to do stupid things? Left to you we would still be running around with clubs?

Rubbish. How would mankind advance if people weren't prepared to do stupid things? Left to you we would still be running around with clubs?

The trick is to do something daring and beneficial enough to advance mankind, but not so daring that you extinguish yourself.

The trick is to do something daring and beneficial enough to advance mankind, but not so daring that you extinguish yourself.

I agree, but it's a state of mind isn't it. One thing leads to another. People trying to fly for the first time would have been thought insane.

I agree, but it's a state of mind isn't it. One thing leads to another. People trying to fly for the first time would have been thought insane.

Yes,well actually they were.The first ones to try glued birds feathers to their arms and flapped them around.

:)

I'm not convinced a drunk farmworker who watched too much TV has a lot in common with the Wright brothers.

Yes,well actually they were.The first ones to try glued birds feathers to their arms and flapped them around.

Yes, but it gave others the urge to try and succeed doing it. I'm just saying that if nobody ever did anything foolish we'd be nowhere. Many a good thing has been discovered by trial and error.

I'm not convinced a drunk farmworker who watched too much TV has a lot in common with the Wright brothers.

You obviously never met the Wright brothers.

You obviously never met the Wright brothers.

I cannot deny this, at least not the ones who made the first powered flight. I feel reasonably sure, however, that they would not have tried to apply their system of three-axis control to a Rover 25.

In some respects this chap was quite advanced, he was Cornish after all.

Did the Wright brothers each consume ten pints before trying to take off?

I once hit a railway bridge at 80mph at night and took off for about 50 metres.This guy was a sort of Catch 22 though.If he had been bright enough to work out the dynamics he wouldn't have been doing it.

I've wondered why some publicity hungry F1 team (or similar racing outfit) don't try racing an F1 car upside down on the roof of a tunnel: It's supposed to be theoretically possible due to the >1g downforce generated by thos cars. I guess it's just too risky, even if theoretically possible!

Doing stupid things isn't what got us to this point but, rather, taking calculated risks did. There's a massive difference!

Doing stupid things isn't what got us to this point but, rather, taking calculated risks did. There's a massive difference!

B0llocks.

I've wondered why some publicity hungry F1 team (or similar racing outfit) don't try racing an F1 car upside down on the roof of a tunnel: It's supposed to be theoretically possible due to the >1g downforce generated by thos cars. I guess it's just too risky, even if theoretically possible!

'elf and safety etc....

The man with the golden gun was on at the weekend... in it there is a stunt where Bond does a 360 degree barrel roll in a car... I have never ever heard or seen it ever done again because quite obviously it is nuts!

'elf and safety etc....

The man with the golden gun was on at the weekend... in it there is a stunt where Bond does a 360 degree barrel roll in a car... I have never ever heard or seen it ever done again because quite obviously it is nuts!

That was on Top Gear ages ago, it's more very difficult than health and safety.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-barrel-roll-stunt_169854.htm