House Price Crash Forum
Daltski

Ray Boulger...property Guru

Having got my goat with those earlier comments I'd though I'd do a little more digging on the self-confessed property "guru"

Check this out from the John Charcol website:

"Ray Boulger is widely renowned as the guru of the mortgage industry and expert on the housing market. Ray is constantly called upon by the media to provide informed comment on all areas of the market, and is a regular on the BBC, Sky and ITV.

Last year, Ray was voted guru of the year at the Headlinemoney awards by all of the nation’s money and property journalists. As such, we thought it was high time that you had direct access to him. Ray’s blog will be updated most days so the knowledge just keeps on coming"

I for one will be looking forward to all that "knowledge" and will definitely be sharing my lack thereof with him on his blog!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having got my goat with those earlier comments I'd though I'd do a little more digging on the self-confessed property "guru"

"Ray Boulger is widely renowned as the guru of the mortgage industry and expert on the housing market. Ray is constantly called upon by the media to provide informed comment on all areas of the market, and is a regular on the BBC, Sky and ITV.

Last year, Ray was voted guru of the year at the Headlinemoney awards by all of the nation’s money and property journalists. As such, we thought it was high time that you had direct access to him. Ray’s blog will be updated most days so the knowledge just keeps on coming"

I for one will be looking forward to all that "knowledge" and will definitely be sharing my lack thereof with him on his blog!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go for it:

http://www.charcol.co.uk/knowledge-resources/ray-boulgers-blog/

It's possibly the dullest blog I've ever read. Ever.

...But the "Guru" has all the answers to solving the economic crisis!

For example, in his latest blog, he advised that the most productive thing the Government should do is:

...to find a way of facilitating a serious and sustained re-opening of the RMBS market.

Then there is this gem, regarding proposed FSA changes to regulation:

It will significantly reduce the maximum mortgage amount lenders are allowed to offer many other borrowers, especially those with volatile incomes. This will undoubtedly result in a sizable reduction in activity in the housing market.

Really Ray? Don't you think it will actually start to move house prices back to a more sustainable level?

And finally, this:

Because the housing market is such an important driver to the economy the resulting reduced activity will have an adverse impact on the economy generally, resulting in a toxic mixture of reduced tax receipts for the Government and increased benefits payments.

High/rising house prices (and unsustainable mortgage lending to support these) is apparently a good things as it brings in it brings in tax receipts and reduces benefit claims.

Ray Boulger's position could be stated as the equivilent of: Renowned Fishmonger, who was recently voted "Fishmonger of the Year", advises consumers that they should buy more fish. And pay more for fish.

Edited by RJG18

...But the "Guru" has all the answers to solving the economic crisis!

For example, in his latest blog, he advised that the most productive thing the Government should do is:

Then there is this gem, regarding proposed FSA changes to regulation:

Really Ray? Don't you think it will actually start to move house prices back to a more sustainable level?

And finally, this:

High/rising house prices (and unsustainable mortgage lending to support these) is apparently a good things as it brings in it brings in tax receipts and reduces benefit claims.

Ray Boulger's position could be stated as the equivilent of: Renowned Fishmonger, who was recently voted "Fishmonger of the Year", advises consumers that they should buy more fish. And pay more for fish.

Haha, indeed! I especially like some of the archived pieces! Head back to 2007,. I think it's on pg9. where the "guru" sees Northern Rocks 12% sell-off in July to take the stock sub 8 quid as being overdone!! Genius.

As soon as his blog goes online, please do post a link for his blog's readers comments. :)

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Looks like a complete "air head" blog to me. FSA "threatening" economic recovery indeed. The guy is a first class c*ck and dangerous with it.

Edited by Sir John Steed

Wow, no comments moderation/approval?! He's either very brave or no one reads his blog! :lol:

Er, no-one reads his blog.

It says: "Be the first to comment' under every entry. Until now. Mwa-ha-ha... :ph34r:

p.s. oooh, just noted a 'Drew Witherspoon' leaping to Ray's defence! This could get nasty!

Edited by red

I see 'Laura' has had a pop, too...

Also, within his droning blog:

...even when a FTB has managed to save a 10% deposit and get approved for a 90% LTV mortgage they will pay more for a 5 year fix today than pre credit crunch. Furthermore they will not have the option of an interest only mortgage, with or without a robust repayment plan, as no lender is now offering this option at 90% LTV. One benefit FTBs do have as a result of the credit crunch, provided they can save the deposit and get a mortgage, will be that property prices are lower, but this is of no value if they can’t get a mortgage!

So better to lend silly money again and re-inflate the bubble rather than allow prices to return to sensible levels, meaning mortgages will be affordable and accessible with current criteria in place. Or am I missing something..?

Er, no-one reads his blog.

It says: "Be the first to comment' under every entry. Until now. Mwa-ha-ha... :ph34r:

p.s. oooh, just noted a 'Drew Witherspoon' leaping to Ray's defence! This could get nasty!

I've joined the party! Time to make the guy justify his position. And there's plenty of ammo there as all his VI posts have been very kindly archived for the HPC family to peruse and disprove.

Looks like his PR drone has had to intervene. :lol:

Looks like a complete "air head" blog to me. FSA "threatening" economic recovery indeed. The guy is a first class c*ck and dangerous with it.

You mean the FSA will put in sensible credit controls so that when the real recovery finally comes, it won't be based on a surge in house prices, but may be caused by increased industrial production and exports?

I think Ray Boulger is a 2nd Class C*ock - couldn't ever call him first class. He has talked the market up many times as if it will do us all good, when what the country needs is low land prices, controlled by very tight lending.

As you soon as you lend without proper criteria, the price explodes and then you get a 'bust' later when too many cannot make the payments. Obvious! It beats me as to why history has to repeat these lessons. The *ankers should know better themselves.

Edited by plummet expert

I am loving Laura - like a dog refusing to let go of a particularly tasty Boulger-shaped bone.

I presume it's our Laura..?

I'm sorry but that is a very lame excuse. I have listed the main points already. Why don't you try to reply to these, if you can, and we go from there?

"I hope you are aware that we had a credit bubble, that pushed up assets prices. These are still near peak levels, and are unsustainable. You must know that.

Yes, the government "implores the banks to lend more", but for businesses, not mortgages, and I think your article is disingenuous by implying otherwise.

To improve "affordability", first we need much lower prices, and only then we can have easier credit.

Our economy was not exactly driven by the "housing market", but by the cheap credit that it brought to consumers, who are now over-indebted. This "route" had a dead end, and we've reached it."

They're on to us, Damn:

PG, thank you. We are fully aware that there are a band of merry people on a certain website, who i will not give the satisfaction of providing a link to, that seem to think calling Ray every name under the sun is acceptable. Dare I say (and my opinion only) we have one above...

Posted on Monday, 23-08-10 16:58 by Drew Wotherspoon

:lol:

They're on to us, Damn:

:lol:

You know, I think the name of this forum/site is really bad PR. A "crash" is usually a bad bad thing, associated with accidents, injures, pain and even death! Someone should think of a positive name for it, that would associate with affordable housing somehow, with lower costs of living, or better housing, etc.

I find it amazing, given all the country has been through in the last three years, and all the economic truths that have slowly become mainstream - that people can still think that this website is populated by evil people who are trying to talk the property market into crashing so that we can all buy up all the properties as cut-priced BTL's to make obsecene profits.

You know, I think the name of this forum/site is really bad PR. A "crash" is usually a bad bad thing, associated with accidents, injures, pain and even death! Someone should think of a positive name for it, that would associate with affordable housing somehow, with lower costs of living, or better housing, etc.

It won't stop people labelling us all as work-shy doom-mongers and bitter STRs...etc.

We question the brainwashed British ideal of ever-rising house prices and they don't like it.

The post by 'PG' on Boulger's site sums it up perfectly - he tries to lump us all in that category but fails to address the perfectly intelligent questions posed to Boulger and his Boulgette, Drew Wotherspoon.

how about just cutting to the chase and giving it straight,no point beating round the bush

economicandstatecollapsefollowedbyworldwarthree.co.uk

I find it amazing, given all the country has been through in the last three years, and all the economic truths that have slowly become mainstream - that people can still think that this website is populated by evil people who are trying to talk the property market into crashing so that we can all buy up all the properties as cut-priced BTL's to make obsecene profits.

OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit here...

I don't have a problem with the idea of property speculation - it's the blatant intervention to keep the bubble going that I find abhorrent.

If people want to gamble on prices rising and they win, fine. But if prices dip they should deal with the consequences - not be bailed out because HPI has become the bedrock of our economy and can't be allowed to fall.

www.housepricereadjustment.co.uk doesn't quite have the same ring to it. :lol:

I am loving Laura - like a dog refusing to let go of a particularly tasty Boulger-shaped bone.

I presume it's our Laura..?

No it isn't! - Can't you tell by the quality? :rolleyes:

I'm full of admiration, but I've still informed my lawyers