House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DisQ

100 Police Stations Facing The Axe : Daily Telegraph

No such thing as ring fenced

some wrongly "assumed" that coz they work for certain essantial services they will be immune

no no no when the chop comes no one is spared

reminds me of US where the Police is asking people to keep guns to protects themselves!

what are they going to say here!

100 police stations facing the axe

Up to 100 police stations face closure under cost-cutting plans, and scores more will have their opening hours further reduced, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

All forces across the country are carrying out a review of their building "estates" ahead of funding being cut by up to 25 per cent.

Fears about the impact of the cuts have focused on a decrease in the number of officers, but police chiefs say that buildings and stations will be the first to go. An investigation of all constabularies has uncovered that one in 15 stations has been earmarked to be shut potentially, or replaced by counters and kiosks in supermarkets, cafés, libraries and schools.

Senior police sources have said that the closure of stations is "inevitable" in the current economic climate, but admitted that it was an "emotive and difficult" issue to square with the public.

The disclosures will reignite debates about police presence in communities, especially amid fears that front-line numbers will decrease and neighbourhood police will be axed. The Daily Telegraph disclosed on Saturday that 90 per cent of police stations are not open 24 hours – and more than twice as many Tesco stores are now operating round-the-clock than stations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/7959302/100-police-stations-facing-the-axe.html

No such thing as ring fenced

some wrongly "assumed" that coz they work for certain essantial services they will be immune

no no no when the chop comes no one is spared

reminds me of US where the Police is asking people to keep guns to protects themselves!

what are they going to say here!

I see more cops on the streets where I live in the USA than I ever did back in England. You are correct about keeping guns though. It's possible to equip yourself with a nice Browning shotgun and a couple of thousand rounds, just in case. ;) I feel very safe and secure in America knowing that I can defend myself with the ultimate force. In Britain you have to ring a human right's helpline to see how much damage you can inflict on a burglar; meanwhile an American can just splatter a hoodie's organs across the wallpaper with Mr Browning and then go back to sleeping soundly.

It's kind of bizarre: Britain removes free-speech from its people one day and then removes the enforcers the next. :lol::blink:

I can imagine it on rightmove already.....

"THE STATION", Beat Road, Portsmouth, PO1 1CE.

12 Luxury Apartments for Sale.....

Nah, no-one buys "luxury apartments" any more.

More likely a themed wine bar:-

"Coppers",

Lesby Avenue,

Twockenham,

FU22 0LE.

I see more cops on the streets where I live in the USA than I ever did back in England. You are correct about keeping guns though. It's possible to equip yourself with a nice Browning shotgun and a couple of thousand rounds, just in case. ;) I feel very safe and secure in America knowing that I can defend myself with the ultimate force. In Britain you have to ring a human right's helpline to see how much damage you can inflict on a burglar; meanwhile an American can just splatter a hoodie's organs across the wallpaper with Mr Browning and then go back to sleeping soundly.

It's kind of bizarre: Britain removes free-speech from its people one day and then removes the enforcers the next. :lol::blink:

That would explain why the US has such a low murder rate and we have corpses of the innocent piled high on every corner...

Police stations closing is nothing new.

However, the article quoted has a genius idea:

and more than twice as many Tesco stores are now operating round-the-clock than stations.

A small office area rented from the Tesco superstore could save a lot of money compared to the whole burden of maintaining an old building. Same principle as the building society agency c/o an estate agent, or the post office counter in the local shop, pub, whatever!

Don't know about by you but here in Chadderton we have a shiny new police station.

Why? because they could get one. Does this one get used more? I doubt it. Location is away from the main shopping area where the old one was.

Police stations closing is nothing new.

However, the article quoted has a genius idea:

A small office area rented from the Tesco superstore could save a lot of money compared to the whole burden of maintaining an old building.  Same principle as the building society agency c/o an estate agent, or the post office counter in the local shop, pub, whatever!

Already happens Porca, my local ASDA has one. I don't suppose Waitrose are so keen so you and the Telegraph are forgiven for not knowing :P

Thought you might find it interesting to know that they're spending £25m to build a new police station in Wood Green, North London. £25m!!!

As if that wasn't bad enough Wood Green's existing police station is perfectly usable if a bit shabby. Oh, and every PCSO in Wood Green has been given notice that they might be made redundant.

And whatever your view of PCSOs, surely there has never been a better opportunity to promote the good ones and sack the dozens of PCs on permanent light duty because of made up medical conditions.

Thought you might find it interesting to know that they're spending £25m to build a new police station in Wood Green, North London. £25m!!!

I think thats the standard minimum building cost thanks to nulabour.

My son's school cost f £28 million and it's roof has been designed especially to let it rain and snow in on the main lobby.

Yes, but the BBC has scared the morons of this country into believing that there is some kind of bible bashing christian fundamentalist with an uzi and itchy trigger finger on every street corner, laying in wait to smoke some red who might dare praise Obama.

We'll never have guns here legally, even when every hoodlum, chav, drug dealer and jumped up security guard does, you, as a law abiding citizen will never have that right. For your safety, of course.

That would explain why the US has such a low murder rate and we have corpses of the innocent piled high on every corner...

Fortunately my experience of America has been completely different from the statistics. People are more polite and I do not see hoodie-chav types on a daily basis. I prefer the even playing-field in the USA, regardless of statistics.

Yes, but the BBC has scared the morons of this country into believing that there is some kind of bible bashing christian fundamentalist with an uzi and itchy trigger finger on every street corner, laying in wait to smoke some red who might dare praise Obama.

We'll never have guns here legally, even when every hoodlum, chav, drug dealer and jumped up security guard does, you, as a law abiding citizen will never have that right. For your safety, of course.

You are damned if you try to protect yourself in Britain. The government want you to just pay your taxes and periodically get beaten up and raped.

My own statistics by perception are that Britain is far more violent. I've never seen a beer-glass fight in the USA. I think the difference is that you cannot escape the violence in Britain because it's everywhere.

You are damned if you try to protect yourself in Britain. The government want you to just pay your taxes and periodically get beaten up and raped.

My own statistics by perception are that Britain is far more violent. I've never seen a beer-glass fight in the USA. I think the difference is that you cannot escape the violence in Britain because it's everywhere.

I do agree that parts of America from my own personal experience that people are polite but same applies to UK, real test comes when shtf, can same people & others will act differently? A country with so many guns & automatic weapons would be the last place I would want to be.

We would find out soon, as melt down gathers full momentum!!!

tick tock tick tock