House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

Eco Slave Boxes

Cheap as Ships (if you Diy)

for 'thermal mass' effect

The 14th century brought up to date? Looks like a modern day wooden living quarter for a farm worker being paid to work 7 days pw, for £40pw, shed provided and a bit of free milk and cheese and the odd joint. No pension, no benefits, no health cover, only herbs for medicine.........

Looking at this box, you have to wonder why anyone would think society is materially better off than 50 years ago. There is more NHS and a few other electronic toys we all use I suppose. People are not happier in this ultra competitive world where even a degree is not enough. Something has gone wrong with our perspective in this world.

The 14th century brought up to date? Looks like a modern day wooden living quarter for a farm worker being paid to work 7 days pw, for £40pw, shed provided and a bit of free milk and cheese and the odd joint. No pension, no benefits, no health cover, only herbs for medicine.........

Looking at this box, you have to wonder why anyone would think society is materially better off than 50 years ago. There is more NHS and a few other electronic toys we all use I suppose. People are not happier in this ultra competitive world where even a degree is not enough. Something has gone wrong with our perspective in this world.

200 years of supposed 1.5 to 2% per capita real growth and most people are barely able to house themselves. If it wasn't for sanitation and antibiotics I would say we have gone backwards.

That 'Office' dwell(e)ing of 8 sq meteres has down listed as two of it's uses:

* Student accomodation

* Key worker living

FFS! It's come to this!!! mad.gif

I know you aren't a student, but are you a key worker?

* Student accomodation

* Key worker living

I bet it's key worker living on shared ownership :(

I know you aren't a student, but are you a key worker?

Contenciously, I regard workers fall into one of two categories only. Those that work, and those that do not. ;)

I can't bear that phrase, 'key workers'. mad.gif

Contenciously, I regard workers fall into one of two categories only. Those that work, and those that do not. ;)

I can't bear that phrase, 'key workers'. mad.gif

Its a simple enough concept; if youre a paramedic, saving lives, youre a keyworker. If youre just a lowly a mechanic, keeping the ambulance working so it can save lives, then youre non-keyworker filth.

Another wonderful illustration of logic from the same party that kept repeating the word 'prudence' whilst building up the largest ever peacetime debts.

We're supposed to celebrate this crap?

24m/2!!! WTF! If that's not bad enough it's £35k!!!!!!

The workshop I'm building at the moment is bigger than that and will cost less than £500, and its oak!

* Student accomodation

* Key worker living

Keys are pretty small, come to think of it.

We're supposed to celebrate this crap?

24m/2!!! WTF! If that's not bad enough it's £35k!!!!!!

The workshop I'm building at the moment is bigger than that and will cost less than £500, and its oak!

If youre kids have names like archie and willow, and youre some kind of human rights lawyer in London rinsing the taxpayer for a grand or so an hour, youre probably taken aback by the amazingly vague and untechnical 'sustainability' spiel and feel the need to relieve yourself of £35k.

You should design a similarly funky website, drop the word 'green' in a few hundred times and sell your £500 one for £30,000.

it would be fine if they were cheap , like really cheap

doesn't look like they'd be very good at keeping the house warm or cool , too much glass in there

doesn't look like they'd be very good at keeping the house warm or cool , too much glass in there

Looked in to these sorts of things last year (and when I look in to these things I do it properly).

These things are actually pretty cheap and having been inside this and the ecohab which was also mentioned they are not as small as you would think.... but the problem is the cost of the land and the difficulty getting planning permission.

Once you factor all the various costs in they soon spiral out of all sense in terms of value for money, for the ecohab which I was looking at you were talking £170k and no doubt years of hassle getting all the planning permission and associated paper work sorted. Neither Ecohab or Dwell would give me any figures for the number that had sold, or the number of people actively living in them, so I would imagine it's about 0.

I'd be more than happy to change my life style and expectations to live somewhere smaller than I'd like, but I won't be doing it for the price these things will set you back.

The other thing was, when I went to see these at some show they didn't have time to finish putting it up, didn't leave me with any confidence that they would be able to deliver the finished product.

http://www.dwelle.co.uk/

Unbelievable that anyone would consider paying thousands for a glorified shed.

Bit naff ....it needs a flat top so that you can rack them ...........!

Why not make this the legal maximum for a second home ? ...that would free up a lot of housing !

Presumably they are bespoke and not mass produced.

£35k for a garden hut seems pricey to me.

i like some of this guys work

http://www.tommie-wilhelmsen.no/prosjekt?c=2&id=174

some of the "summer houses" look like they would be quite easy to reproduce DIY style, one of them seems to be made of plywood, you could probably put it together for aprox £500 +the cost of the windows

ui2ike1abc92e5fviewattt.jpg

i also like the shipping container idea, which i have looked into in the past. there are now some good designs using them nowadays.

talking about living in the small huts, i would be quite happy to live in something like this in-between shifts, it would save me an hour each way commute at the end of a 12 hr shift, i'd pay no more than £10 per night/day though.

Edited by eejit

£35k for a garden hut seems pricey to me.

i like some of this guys work

http://www.tommie-wilhelmsen.no/prosjekt?c=2&id=174

some of the "summer houses" look like they would be quite easy to reproduce DIY style, one of them seems to be made of plywood, you could probably put it together for aprox £500 +the cost of the windows

ui2ike1abc92e5fviewattt.jpg

i also like the shipping container idea, which i have looked into in the past. there are now some good designs using them nowadays.

talking about living in the small huts, i would be quite happy to live in something like this in-between shifts, it would save me an hour each way commute at the end of a 12 hr shift, i'd pay no more than £10 per night/day though.

Wow, he's done some amazing work. Really beautiful.

Problem with the 'build it yourself' idea is of course, the crazy planning/nimbyism in the UK. The smallest plot I can find with outline planning permission for a dwelling, within 30 miles of where I live, is offers over £80k.