House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howarden

Sale Area - 3 Bed Semi Target Price

What price would people be happy to pay in a couple of years time for one of the many bay-fronted 3-bed semi-detatched houses in and around Sale?

Just a regular one, in reasonable condition, single detached garage.

Possibly a price range to allow for the differing desirability of locations in town.

I'm interested as I'm moving to the region soon and wondered if the expected costs would make it worth considering as a place to settle down.

I have a general target of 2004 prices, which would possibly make the range 600-750 rental or 140-180k purchase?

It very much depends on what part of Sale you are looking at. To the West of Washway is potentially cheaper than East. But if you go too far east you'll be hitting Northenden, which drags the price down.

I've just bought a three bed semi in Sale for about £240,000. Paid £40k more than bought for in 2004, but they'd done quite a lot to it. I've been looking for about 2 years and IMO it was a good buy.

We've been looking at houses in the area for a few years now. At the moment we've been viewing 3 beds in the 230-250k range. They are typically wrecks throughout and the 3rd bedroom is normally a box room. No-one wants to drop their price, but quite a few seem to sell.

We're thinking of looking out towards Stockport (Hazel Grove etc) to get more for our money. The train links are apparently as good as the Metrolink (if not cheaper and more reliable), which the missus needs for work.

Edit: We've only been looking East of the Washway btw. As Shmoo said, things get cheaper on the other side and Ashton-on-Mersey seems nice enough. Depends how close to the tram you need to be.

Edited by MiCasaSuCasa

As Shmoo said, things get cheaper on the other side and Ashton-on-Mersey seems nice enough.

It is

The poshest bits of Sale used to be Moss Lane & The Avenue; the roads between Moss Lane and Ashton Village are nice. I was born & brought up in A-o-M. My parents lived there when it really was a village, with fields all around, and was separate form Sale.

It is

The poshest bits of Sale used to be Moss Lane & The Avenue; the roads between Moss Lane and Ashton Village are nice. I was born & brought up in A-o-M. My parents lived there when it really was a village, with fields all around, and was separate form Sale.

Never understood this... had mates on both the Avenue and Moss Lane and was surprised how close such expensive properties were to cheaper, scally areas like the racecourse estate

In my opinion, Sale has had its day and is in decline. You only have to look at the commercial premises to realise this. My mum and dad who are still there (on an expensive road near The Little B pub) have had quite a few problems with theft including a smack head who recently tried to kick their back door in whilst they away for the weekend. (Neighbour heard the racket and rang police who caught him)

Well, there's no real need to be in Sale, any recommendations nearby? Mrs Russell is going to be working just West of Sale and I'm home based at the moment, though within reasonable distance of Manchester would be better to give us more work options. Mrs Russell's boss suggested Lymm.

Lymm is lovely, but I think it's probably very expensive. I've not checked recently but I always thought it was similar in price range to Hale/Bowden (which is also very nice).

Knutsford is a 20 min commute from Sale by car and is quite nice but cheaper.

One place that I would stay away from if you want to commute by car is Worsley as its one of the worst black spots on the motorways in the area. It's only 10 minutes from Sale when there's no traffic, but when there is, you can get stuck for ages (likewise if you're going in or out of Manchester).

Never understood this... had mates on both the Avenue and Moss Lane and was surprised how close such expensive properties were to cheaper, scally areas like the racecourse estate

It is (was) a hang over from before the racecourse estate was built. Moss Lane & The Avenue were incredibly desirable then.

In my opinion, Sale has had its day and is in decline.

Agreed. But I'd say that's been so for about a half century. It used to be the place to live for the wealthy of Manchester; there were huge old houses along Ashton Lane when I was very young; they all fell into ruin and were demolished by the late 60s.

The wealth has just moved further out these days.

Lymm is lovely, but I think it's probably very expensive. I've not checked recently but I always thought it was similar in price range to Hale/Bowden (which is also very nice).

Knutsford is a 20 min commute from Sale by car and is quite nice but cheaper.

Lymm's shedloads cheaper than Hale/Bowden; Knutsford is generally dearer than Sale and a lot more desirable.

In my opinion, Sale has had its day and is in decline. You only have to look at the commercial premises to realise this. My mum and dad who are still there (on an expensive road near The Little B pub) have had quite a few problems with theft including a smack head who recently tried to kick their back door in whilst they away for the weekend. (Neighbour heard the racket and rang police who caught him)

I think you can say the same about most of Manchester - it's called the recession.

Friends in Altrincham/Hale are saying that's crimes up, businesses are closing down and social housing is coming in. Friends in Didsbury tell me that it's not what it was and East and Didsbury Village are getting rough.