House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Women Out Live Men, Except Two Countries.....

I was checking out the UN figures for life expectancy, and noticed something interesting. I'd always known women out live men by a wide margin, and it's interesting to see which countries rate higher general life expectancy. Some of them rate incredibly low btw.

But anyhow, I noticed every country has higher life expectancy for women.... except just two. One of these is in the very low figures and the margin is tiny, so hardly relevant. But the other one is a developed nation and the margin is wide.

You can see which one has the wide margin by looking down the UN list. You won't have to go too far before you see it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Funnily enough the two countries are linked by current events, but that's the only connection.

So why the wide margin in the developed nation? I have strong suspicions as to why, but lets hear your take first.

USA

total population: 78.24 years

male: 75.78 years

female: 80.81 years (2010 est.)

CIA World FactBook

Could simply be an error in the wiki number.

Next time could you cut to the chase?

So what have we learnt today?

Wikipedia sucks

I think that's a bit harsh. I wish Wikipedia had been available when I was in my most voracious learning phase.

You should have spotted the numbers were not self-consistent rather than reaching for some explanation for them. So lesson apparently not well learnt, I'd say.

You should have spotted the numbers were not self-consistent rather than reaching for some explanation for them. So lesson apparently not well learnt, I'd say.

Yeah, thanks.

I wonder if women will continue to have higher life expectancies with the modern trend of having to work?

A long life was always easy when someone else would do the work and they would lead a life of leisure. No washing the clothes, and cooking, and minding the kids was never work.

It would be logical for women to die younger then men with this being equal, women just seem to have body parts that go wrong easier, if you get my drift without going into specifics lol.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

I wonder if women will continue to have higher life expectancies with the modern trend of having to work?

A long life was always easy when someone else would do the work and they would lead a life of leisure. No washing the clothes, and cooking, and minding the kids was never work.

It would be logical for women to die younger then men with this being equal, women just seem to have body parts that go wrong easier, if you get my drift without going into specifics lol.

Obviously never done it, have you?laugh.gif

You just love to be contraversial, JS, do you not?wink.gif

Minding the kids is as much work as you want it to be. If you are looking to educate and entertain them then it's like being a school teacher working a 16 hour day.

If you just want to read the paper and watch the TV then you stick them in front of a DVD and give them chips and tomato ketchup three times a day. Job done.

Looking after kids is easy, looking after kids well isn't.

OK, let's run with that :ph34r:

You're missing the nature of womens work vs mens work there.

Men are biologically programmed to strive harder. For a woman, good enough is good enough. A keeping up with the Joneses level of striving through life. For a man, only the best is truly good enough.

There's ample evidence for this. Outliers in our society are overwhelmingly male. At the top, the highest achievers are predominantly male despite two generations dominated by feminist agenda striving to change this. At the bottom, there is an even bigger imbalance: our prisons are full of males who have striven too hard and failed. There are a very few females at the very top and the very bottom, but they're overwhelmingly in the middle: neither captains of industry nor losers in prison.

Of course it's all statistical: the vast majority of men are in the middle too. Just as those life expectancies are statistical.

I don't think it has anything to do with work, neither stress nor 'wearing out'. I always believed it was down to genetics. Women inherit two copies of X chromosomes and so faults on one are countered by having a 'good' copy. More men are born than women but they die more rapidly. Men seem to suffer worse from just about everything, which I put down to the same mechanism.

I was checking out the UN figures for life expectancy, and noticed something interesting. I'd always known women out live men by a wide margin, and it's interesting to see which countries rate higher general life expectancy. Some of them rate incredibly low btw.

But anyhow, I noticed every country has higher life expectancy for women.... except just two. One of these is in the very low figures and the margin is tiny, so hardly relevant. But the other one is a developed nation and the margin is wide.

I counted six, none of which I would describe as developed. The widest gap I could find of them was Montserrat, which has such a tiny population as to probably be statistically unreliable, and which was effectively nuked by a volcano in the mid-'90s, thereby making the figures even less reliable.

Lesotho - 41.18 / 39.54

Mozambique - 41.83 / 40.53

Malawi - 44.07 / 43.57

South Africa - 49.81 / 48.13

Namibia - 51.61 / 50.86

Montserrat - 74.74 / 70.68

Interestingly, this figure caught my eye:

Russia - 59.33 / 73.14

And if you look at the other former Soviet Union countries, you'll see that they also have a much wider gap (i.e. men are dying abnormally younger compared to those in the rest of the developed world), very much like this one.

Surprised that men live longer than women in afganistan...id have thought all the men would be being killed in various wars, feuds, disputes over goats and who gets to marry whose underage cousins and so forth.

Women dont tend to fight as much as men is all im saying.

Oh FFS, resident man hater couldn't resist a dig.

Oh FFS, resident man hater couldn't resist a dig.

Come on Rolf, are you suggesting JS's remark that minding children is not work is correct? (though I wouldn't bother responding to something so trollish myself)

And since when did AbFab become a man-hater? I saw the other thread with that suggestion, a load of tosh it was too.

Interestingly, this figure caught my eye:

Russia - 59.33 / 73.14

And if you look at the other former Soviet Union countries, you'll see that they also have a much wider gap (i.e. men are dying abnormally younger compared to those in the rest of the developed world), very much like this one.

I believe Russian men have a notable tendency to drink themselves to oblivion at any opportunity....

Well lets pretend that minding the kids was as much hard work as a man did. Age 5 they are in school. Whats the excuse after that?

Men are biologically programmed to strive harder. For a woman, good enough is good enough. A keeping up with the Joneses level of striving through life. For a man, only the best is truly good enough.

There's ample evidence for this. Outliers in our society are overwhelmingly male. At the top, the highest achievers are predominantly male despite two generations dominated by feminist agenda striving to change this.

Men have bigger brains, strong bodies, more intelligent. Of course they would do better.

Though I dont know if I agree with your "only the best" how many men are happy with just what is needed, but are talked into a bigger house, more this and the other, by her indoors? How many men do you know who took on a loan cus they wanted a new kitchen or fitted wardrobes?

I believe Russian men have a notable tendency to drink themselves to oblivion at any opportunity....

You cant hear the nagging when you are out cold. :D

I've been a fireman a fisherman, worked on farms ,building sites, care homes

and a few other jobs ,none of them was as hard work as being a house husband

with 2 young kids

macho men :suck ma t1ts

respect to ma sistas

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Come on Rolf, are you suggesting JS's remark that minding children is not work is correct? (though I wouldn't bother responding to something so trollish myself)

And since when did AbFab become a man-hater? I saw the other thread with that suggestion, a load of tosh it was too.

Thankyou.biggrin.gif

Since a couple of vindictive posters decided to vent their spleen on me - for reasons you have the wit to work out for yourself.wink.gif

It seems that it doesn't take much really , to have folks believing that the emperor has a suit of clothes, just chinese whispers and 'job's a good 'un.'

No washing the clothes, and cooking, and minding the kids was never work.

I'd rather work than having to loook after my kid all day, I find him extremely tiring and I work in trading. What does that tell you?

I'd rather work than having to loook after my kid all day, I find him extremely tiring and I work in trading. What does that tell you?

Your prefer numbers?

Surprised that men live longer than women in afganistan...id have thought all the men would be being killed in various wars, feuds, disputes over goats and who gets to marry whose underage cousins and so forth.

Women dont tend to fight as much as men is all im saying.

They walk in front of the men in case of landmines.

That trading isn't really that difficult, but then we knew that anyway.