House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CrashedOutAndBurned

Should I Just Quit My Job?

I once got unexpectedly fired from a job - more a clash of personalities than anything to do with my performance. Although a little scared at first, I suddenly got a huge surge of energy as I actually hated the job and felt liberated - I hadn't realised just how much the work misery was dragging me down. I had a few freelance gigs on the go and only had to pay the rent on my shared house and thought, 'Heck, why didn't I just quit ages ago?' I later got another full time job. Everything turned out grand.

Anyway, I'm now hating my job again. I have some freelance gigs on the go, which I've really enjoyed. I really can't be arsed going to work anymore. It's making me feel sort of jaded, even quite 'ill'. Despite being a 'go the extra mile' type, I don't feel my frankly excessive contributions are being noticed and I've even been 'picked up' on trivial crap. It's the second year of pay freezes. I've really felt like saying, '****** this, for a game of soldiers' several times in the last few months. There are loads of issues I have that are probably unresolvable.

Oh, and I've applied for several other jobs but haven't been successful so I've tried that route.

I'd really like to just get the ****** out before I start losing my health.

Has anyone else just had to walk away from a bad work situation. Did you regret it? How did things pan out?

I once got unexpectedly fired from a job - more a clash of personalities than anything to do with my performance. Although a little scared at first, I suddenly got a huge surge of energy as I actually hated the job and felt liberated - I hadn't realised just how much the work misery was dragging me down. I had a few freelance gigs on the go and only had to pay the rent on my shared house and thought, 'Heck, why didn't I just quit ages ago?' I later got another full time job. Everything turned out grand.

Anyway, I'm now hating my job again. I have some freelance gigs on the go, which I've really enjoyed. I really can't be arsed going to work anymore. It's making me feel sort of jaded, even quite 'ill'. Despite being a 'go the extra mile' type, I don't feel my frankly excessive contributions are being noticed and I've even been 'picked up' on trivial crap. It's the second year of pay freezes. I've really felt like saying, '****** this, for a game of soldiers' several times in the last few months. There are loads of issues I have that are probably unresolvable.

Oh, and I've applied for several other jobs but haven't been successful so I've tried that route.

Has anyone else just had to walk away from a bad work situation. Did you regret it? How did things pan out?

I walked out of my accounting job in 2006. I then sort of walked out of my job in 2009, redundancy was sort of offered. I took it...

2 months later I was riding around the world on a motorbike and have never felt as free as I did at that monment... I can still taste the exotic foods, I can still think back to the time when I stood in the middle of the Russian and Kazakh steppe with nothing but plains all the way to the horizons. I remember standing by the side of the road 1500km in each direction NOTHING.

I rememeber all the people I met, the new zest for life I found how I no longer fear as much as I did before, how I changed my money money money life into a sack this we've got to enjoy life a bit more! Mentality.

I regret none of it, and if I had it again I would have gotten a few more visas and continued riding...

I came back did some sporadic work but feel uneasy at my life I feel trapped and feel my feet itch with the desire to move on always and grab dreams I have because life simply is short.

Look at me sig... :D

I nearly walked out of my job last week

its only temporary til October and I could earn twice as much

if I worked for myself but and this is the crux

I like the people I work with (not for) so I gritted my teeth

and stuck to it

Not sure if I made the right decision ,and with the monday mornin blues rapidly approaching

I shouldnt really be reading this thread

I've walked out on my job on several occasions. Its quality of life, not quantity! Make sure you do what you want with your life before you get too old/ill. And when you arrive wherever your going, don't forget to send the old firm a postcard :P

Once walked out of a job not long before I was gettting married - so had to so save for the wedding - the stress at the time was unbearable.

I was in an office type job, which i was overqualifed for, but took it anyway, i Hated it with a passion and spent most of my time arguing with bosses, everyday they seemed to have a problem with something, it was obvious they wanted me out.

Walked out, and then just took labouring jobs on Building sites for about 5 month - was not something I would put on my CV - but it got me out of an office - and I survived paid for the wedding, and covered my bills - all stress gone - but yeah not as cushty as the office, and crap money. If you get a survival job to cover your bills thats one option.

Best thing is too hang in there, and apply for other jobs everyday - and don't mention it too anyone at your work with that your applying for other jobs.

Try to live with as few regrets as possible. If you're bitching about it now, you'll no doubt still be bitching about it in 6 months time.

Try and do some planning before you go. Work out what you want. Some of us just need a change, any change. It doesn't matter what that change is.

Like Ken, accountancy really annoyed me after a few years and I jumped ship. I don't miss it at all. I'm going for a low cost lifestyle so that I can survive on pretty much any job, whilst also trying to attain various qualifications along the way.

I've done this three times in my life. In all cases I had nothing to go to. The freedom and energisation I can concur with. So far, it has always worked out for the better.

However, I would not consider doing this if it meant financial hardship, and the current economic environment is such that one would have to look quite carefully at your financial situation and your current employability.

I've done this three times in my life. In all cases I had nothing to go to. The freedom and energisation I can concur with. So far, it has always worked out for the better.

However, I would not consider doing this if it meant financial hardship, and the current economic environment is such that one would have to look quite carefully at your financial situation and your current employability.

This is why it`s important to have a substantial fund for this type of situation.

It`s so much easier to say shove the job up your @rse when you know you can pay the bills for a year or 2 and even if you don`t (say it) it can make your own attitude to the job so much more relaxed if you know you are in a position to do so if you feel like it.

I would also recommend reducing your out goings to the bare minimum. It`s always surprising to discover how little you can actually live on.

I have done something similar by taking redundancy at age 42 with no job to go to and I`ve never been happier. Bear in mind that I was in a position to pay off the (not very large ) mortgage.

Why be somewhere you don't want to be, you are not doing yourself or others any favours...weigh up the pros and cons, would leaving make you happier? would leaving make you less stressed?....do you have an ambition? do you have a goal? do you know what you want and have the determination, strength and guts to get there? If you do leave get on with getting what you truly want, and living a life you feel comfortable with at the same time. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll just trundle along for a while and start giving less of a shit. I have a meticulous personality so I always feel I should be 'doing my best' at work - but I think that just stresses me out in this case. A bit of doing the bare minimum could help.

I think I will go freelance within six months, though. If I had my weekday hours back for myself I think I could do any number of things to raise revenue.