House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

copydude

Sorry, No Dirty Workwear

Went to the pub yesterday, not one I visit often, so this sign on the door was new to me.

Sorry.jpg

Does this kind of thing bother you?

Some variations I've seen lately are, 'Dress: Smart Casual' and 'Sleeves Please!'

However, this one does seem to be finely targeted to a certain underclass.

Sinister or just pretentious?

Is the pub next to Spearmint Rhino? :o

Actually, good question. The pub is already in an area of rural tweeness, no industry for miles, where non PLUs were priced out years ago.

Actually, good question. The pub is already in an area of rural tweeness, no industry for miles, where non PLUs were priced out years ago.

Oh, so it's discriminating against mud not building dust and plaster?

What if you're wearing a tatty and muddy Barbour and muddy wellies? Is that OK?

. . . blokes turn into tw@ts as soon as they were something flourescent or exposing bicep . . .

Curious generalisation. (If I correctly translate the 'English'.)

Anything to support that theory?

Curious generalisation. (If I correctly translate the 'English'.)

Anything to support that theory?

This maybe?

Murder-suspect-Raoul-Moat-006.jpg

My parents ran a pub when I was a kid. My Dad always used to put a sign outside in summer saying "No bare chests - either sex".

Well, I passed on the dress code pub . . . I hadn't shaved . . and drove on to the next rurally twee gastropub.

I always carry a camera, so I was delighted to find THIS working behind the bar.

Now, that's what I'd call dirty workwear.

ShawTattoo2_300dpi.jpg

Nothing new.

Pubs where I grew up used to have 'No travellers' in the window. My grandparents lived near a seaside resort and pubs there would have signs saying 'No topless men'.

There was a pub in Lincoln called "The Traveller's Rest" that used to stick a sign in their window saying "No Travellers" when these were camped on the nearby common, because they used to frequently get completely p1ssed and kick off fights with other people, or even with each other.

Well, I passed on the dress code pub . . . I hadn't shaved . . and drove on to the next rurally twee gastropub.

I always carry a camera, so I was delighted to find THIS working behind the bar.

Now, that's what I'd call dirty workwear.

ShawTattoo2_300dpi.jpg

She appears to have a shrapnel wound to the face.

She appears to have a shrapnel wound to the face.

I don't like the look of that pearl necklace....seriously, my second name ;) by doing that they will lose business in the hope of gaining a different clientele that may never happen....they cut off their nose to spite their face.

they're preparing to go upmarket

prepare for a doubling in booze prices and a brand new carvery , they can make their money on the food!

they're preparing to go upmarket

prepare for a doubling in booze prices and a brand new carvery , they can make their money on the food!

Funny you should should mention that.

M&B (Mitchells and Butlers) has just sold 300 odd pubs to concentrate on its 'Toby Carveries'.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100820-702749.html

In marketing jargon, they are dumping 'wet led' pubs. That is, pubs where you can have a drink. Wasn't that the point for centuries?

Do we all want dress-code carveries instead of pubs? I'm not sure.

One of the reasons I carry a camera is because I've been documenting the demise of the English pub. For years, the cause has been easy-target taxation at successive budgets - always tax up on fags and booze.

Now . . . hmmmmm . . . seems a little like self-destruction as well.

What do you guys think?

Anyway, enjoy pubs while you can. They are disappearing in the blink of an eye.

Nothing new.

Pubs where I grew up used to have 'No travellers' in the window.

Did they have a car park?

M&B (Mitchells and Butlers) has just sold 300 odd pubs to concentrate on its 'Toby Carveries'.

In marketing jargon, they are dumping 'wet led' pubs. That is, pubs where you can have a drink. Wasn't that the point for centuries?

One of the reasons I carry a camera is because I've been documenting the demise of the English pub. For years, the cause has been easy-target taxation at successive budgets - always tax up on fags and booze.

What do you guys think?

We're on the verge of the off trade overtaking on trade for the first time ever. BBPA predicts it will happen next year, but with a few sporting events we've already seen volume in the off trade overtake momentarily (ridiculous that the world cup actually encouraged more drinking at home than it did in the pubs)

Wait till minimum price per unit comes in, we may well see a shift back to pubs yet....

There was a pub in Lincoln called "The Traveller's Rest" that used to stick a sign in their window saying "No Travellers" when these were camped on the nearby common, because they used to frequently get completely p1ssed and kick off fights with other people, or even with each other.

You beat me to it, although I think it was due to the Tarmac Wogs at the near by Washingboro site, which is still there.

What do you guys think?

Pubs are definitely in steep decline. The problem is, as you say, ever more taxation and excessive regulation. The sentimental belief (or more politely, folk memory) that in the distant past there really were cosy alehouses everywhere in Britain actually does have a basis in reality. We know from mediaeval court records that alewives who brewed in their cottages [often illegally] provided a popular and welcome service at a reasonable price to their neighbours. Good fellowship, good cheer and unpredictable home-brewed ale were indeed available in these tiny and perhaps too cosy mediaeval front rooms. However, conditions were such that you might have had to step over a pig in the yard to get to the toilet, assuming there was one.