House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Swansea Council Facing Bankruptcy?

Things must be bad if the bottled water order has been cancelled!?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Civic-leader-skint/article-2553630-detail/article.html

Civic leader: 'We're skint'

THE man leading Swansea Council has admitted the organisation is skint.

Councillor Chris Holley made the revelation in a radio interview with Swansea Sound DJ Kevin Johns.

He was reminded of it in a full council meeting at the Civic Centre by Dunvant-based Lis Davies, who spoke from the public gallery.

But later in the meeting Councillor Holley rejected a comment by Morriston councillor Robert Stewart about the "bankruptcy the council was facing".

The council leader confirmed the local authority was skint but told the councillor "those are your words".

His comments came during a debate on a motion put forward by several Labour councillors, for Swansea Council to write to Chancellor George Osborne about the impact of a planned rise in VAT from 17.5 per cent to 20 per cent on pensioners, plus other vulnerable groups.

Swansea Council estimates it needs to save £53 million by 2014. A series of money-saving initiatives have been put forward, including car sharing and bans on ordering new office furniture.

Staff are also being encouraged to switch off lights in empty rooms and the authority has cancelled its order of bottled water.

Councillor Holley said: "Unfortunately I think it is going to get worse before it gets better."

PART of a suburban street in Swansea has become the first road in Britain to close because of cuts in public spending.

The permanent closure of Trewyddfa Road to through traffic because repairs are unaffordable comes a year after highway chiefs warned that Welsh councils might soon have to shut roads because they could not guarantee safety.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/08/21/road-forced-to-close-to-traffic-due-to-cuts-in-spending-91466-27106675/

There are some very good roads here in Ormskirk, between Southport & Liverpool.............but all of a sudden they are falling apart.

I can see that some roads will be shut at some point.

Mike

There's easily enough money out there to pay for the road repairs if they're prepared to look in the right places.

If Welsh councils start closing roads it will have a knock on effect on house prices in the area, and if they fix them up house prices will revert back to whatever they were before. Without linking both costs and benefits of public works local administartors have little hope of making sense of their accounts.

There are some very good roads here in Ormskirk, between Southport & Liverpool.............but all of a sudden they are falling apart.

I can see that some roads will be shut at some point.

Mike

Lack of proper maintenance if like elsewhere - patching on top of patching. In the US in some areas they are talking about letting some roads revert to aggregate - as price of tarmac has not gone up, it has multipliedd in price.

I always thought local councils had an untapped money supply...

When they run out they know just where to go to get more!!

Lack of proper maintenance if like elsewhere - patching on top of patching. In the US in some areas they are talking about letting some roads revert to aggregate - as price of tarmac has not gone up, it has multipliedd in price.

I heard about this on a Financial Sense podcast about some U.S. state budgets being unable to afford to re-tarmac all their roads and having to rip up the old tarmac up and go back to gravel.

18 Signs That America Is Rotting Right In Front Of Our Eyes

5 - According to the Federal Highway Administration, approximately a third of America's major roadways are already in substandard condition.

6 - All over the United States, asphalt roads are being ground up and are being replaced with gravel because it is cheaper to maintain. The state of South Dakota has transformed over 100 miles of asphalt road into gravel over the past year, and 38 out of the 83 counties in the state of Michigan have now turned some of their asphalt roads into gravel roads.

The full article -

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article21999.html

Apparently they spent 40K on bottled water last year.

I assume this is the big bottles you have on those little machines and not individual 500ml bottles. Odd really, there is a resevoir a few miles north of S'sea - it rains, the water goes into the resevoir, gets treated and straight into the taps. I mean, the water quality is excellent from the taps here and not like, for example, IMPO the London yuck.

Swansea Council estimates it needs to save £53 million by 2014. A series of money-saving initiatives have been put forward, including car sharing and bans on ordering new office furniture.

Staff are also being encouraged to switch off lights in empty rooms and the authority has cancelled its order of bottled water.

...typical Labour ....you are not going to save £53,000,000 this way...these are empty gestures... :rolleyes:

Councillor Holley said: "Unfortunately I think it is going to get worse before it gets better."

...believe me ...unless you take action now it's going to get worse and never get better .... :rolleyes: