House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NEO72

Honest Ea Shocker Part Ii

Seen on his ad pages in local rag this week:

In 1991 Gerald Ratner, head of international jewellery retailers Ratners, was invited to speak at the annual conference of The Institute of Directors at the Albert Hall in London. Although his firm sold rare and expensive pieces of jewellery, they also sold much cheaper items. In his speech he made light of this by quipping that a pair of earrings could be bought from Ratners for less than a Marks & Spencer sandwich and a sherry decanter for less than a tenner. The next day he was torn to pieces by the tabloids who interpreted his quip as an insult to his customers. The bad press resulted in the company’s share price dropping like a stone together with Gerald Ratner’s dismissal and financial ruin.

Although not in Mr Ratner’s League and with not so far to fall, I could be at risk of ruffling feathers by telling the truth about the local housing market. With few exceptions, prices being paid don’t equate to those being asked and it’s probably best that those unaware, or dodging the issue, know. This shouldn’t trouble sellers looking to buy - as long as the differential between sale and purchase equates, there should be little, if any, loss. Chances are if a place remains on the market for a month or more, the asking price is too high. The message to sellers therefore has to be - get the price right - you’ll attract a buyer. There may be no harm in having a quick punt at a bolder target but if there are no takers revise it quickly. Many of our sellers have followed this advice and despite the tougher climate they’re happily settled in their new abode - which they bought for less than they’d expected, so they’ve balanced their books.

It works, it really does. In delivering this message, I hope I don’t get shot like Mr Ratner - although the truth can hurt, it can also help!

Also on his website:

Honest EA

This EA always seems pretty bearish in his wordy bit in the adverts and pleased to say he still seems to be pulling in new instructions. I know EAs in general aren't very bright, but surely they must know that getting sellers to lower their expectations will increase sales and commission?

Seen on his ad pages in local rag this week:

Also on his website:

Honest EA

This EA always seems pretty bearish in his wordy bit in the adverts and pleased to say he still seems to be pulling in new instructions. I know EAs in general aren't very bright, but surely they must know that getting sellers to lower their expectations will increase sales and commission?

good to see- this guy seems to be pretty straight.

good to see- this guy seems to be pretty straight.

I'm looking to buy in Taunton having lived there for the best part of 10 years. Whilst he may "get it" asking prices are still out of kitter with local employment oppertunities. Taunton is or was in the top 20 by % of adults working for the state......Musrgove park hospital, Somerset County Council HQ, Governemnt property lawers, Charity Commision, Hydrographic Office ......ETC. The town will suffer drasticly once to coalition start making 20& cuts and Taunton will not be immune.Fact is there is no major private employment in the town nearest must be Agusta Westlands in Yeovil thats 25 miles away and if AW loose the "Wildcat Lynx" contract you'll not be able to give houses awy in Yeovil.I'm not paying 169,000 for a 3 bed house in town not matter what Mr Whilley says.

I'm looking to buy in Taunton

Rather you than me.

But for work, where's the problem? I don't know how much you have locally, but I do know that you have a station that's a junction of three main lines, putting you within commuting distance of bigger, job-rich cities including Bristol. Dammit, anywhere I go outside southwest England involves an inevitable stop at Taunton!

Shock horror another honest estate agent. I received an email from them today with their newsletter with a subject of 'Realistic Pricing is the key'

Realistic Pricing is the key

August has continued where July left off reported Andrew Oulsnam of Robert Oulsnam & Company as the difficult housing market moves towards the autumn and realistic prices is the key.

We are still selling a reasonable number of homes each week but only through the hard work of our negotiators. We are probably selling half the number of homes that we offer for sale and sales are often quite difficult to put together.

Buyers are very discerning and they are very aware of what other homes have sold for with all the evidence now available on the internet.

Realistic pricing is the absolute key, over priced houses will not sell. Buyers can see what other houses have sold for in the road.

Be positive, get the prices right and you will soon be moving, over price your home and it will still be for sale next year.

Shock horror another honest estate agent. I received an email from them today with their newsletter with a subject of 'Realistic Pricing is the key'

That's quite interesting. TMT has a thread asking if a vendor is serious or not.

I've been wondering for a while how much you can negotiate down already reasonably (relatively) priced houses for sale. I see properties using property bee with 50K knocked off them (at circa 350K). I wonder if you can get another 50K off or do they tell you they've already reduced the price already?

That's quite interesting. TMT has a thread asking if a vendor is serious or not.

I've been wondering for a while how much you can negotiate down already reasonably (relatively) priced houses for sale. I see properties using property bee with 50K knocked off them (at circa 350K). I wonder if you can get another 50K off or do they tell you they've already reduced the price already?

They can only say no. Give it a try.